SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hot Wheels or Match Box?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hot Wheels or Match Box? Login/Join 
posted
What was better, Hot Wheels or MatchBox?
Do they still do Matchbox?

I recall Matchbox had more "real world" vehicles.
I liked the Hot Wheels when the track sets came out.

First grandson so I'm getting back into toys!

Don't worry, I just sent a ruger bearcat shopkeeper off to Tyler for a tune up and a Randall 26 set aside.

But for now Toys!

Posts: 1660 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old of a Cat,
to be licked by a Kitten
Picture of Klusk2
posted Hide Post
My favorites were matchbox. As a kid, I lost track of how many hours I had playing with them.

The Working Police.....
"We the willing, led by the unknown, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful."

Posts: 2514 | Location: "Mag"azine Mile | Registered: February 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Hot wheels, because of the track, accessories and cool concept cars.

Matchbox were more realistic.

Posts: 1559 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
Hot Wheels

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1935 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think Matchbox. Had more real cars and trucks.
I have shoeboxes full of both. My grandsons will get
them soon, like they don't have enough toys already!

Posts: 955 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Man - I was a fan of both. And, not to add yet another angle, but Corgi Toys’ cars were cool, too!

I’d have to give Matchbox the edge from my own childhood. I recall my favorite toy store selling Matchbox cars in the trademark numbered box. They had a Lazy Susan-style display case and you made your pick by the number. The sales associate pulled your selection from a drawer. Smiles all-around. Smile

Perhaps my all-time favorite:

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6694 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
Hot Wheels

Posts: 1102 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The HotWheels tires came off too easy. The Matchbox were more sturdy,
until I put a firecracker in them!

Posts: 955 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Hot wheels!

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lechiffre
posted Hide Post
Matchbox

Posts: 623 | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Hot Wheels and the track sections.

Always liked this Stutz Blackhawk for some reason:

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hot Wheels, because my brother and I used to get into great fights with the track sections.

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5163 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Match Box

Posts: 26910 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
Matchbox if you're doing anything other than running them on the orange plastic track.

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6731 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
I always liked Matchbox better. I loved the little carousel at the local drug store where I could pick my car. When my sister got big enough, she picked, too, and got the green station wagon with the dogs (that TheFrontRange shows above), a big dump truck, and the Esso Ford wrecker that's shown on the Wikipedia page, copying the wrecker I already had. Superfasts came out when I was 7 or so and the Superfast Police Car quickly became one of my favorites, often "pulling over" the few speeding Hot Wheels cars I'd collected or been given.

It was one of the old, slow Matchbox cars but my other favorite was the Weasel and Scammel Snow Plow, also shown on the Wikipedia page. The snow plow broke off of the front, so my cousin didn't want it any more and he gave it to me.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2106 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love them both. Are not they owned and made by the same company ??? God Bless !! Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3069 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VBVAGUY:
Are not they owned and made by the same company ???

Now, yes, but formerly, no.

Lesney, from the UK, originally developed Matchbox and was a fierce competitor with Mattel and Hot Wheels until it was sold in the early 80s. The Matchbox line continued, but the Lesney name was dropped. Mattel, the maker of Hot Wheels, purchased another toymaker that had gained control of the Matchbox line in the late 90s, so both are now produced by the same firm.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2106 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I had Hot Wheels and loved the track.

My grandson loves Hot Wheels, too. At least in part because I give him a dollar, and he can buy a car for himself.

He also likes to make track and especially a track with jumps.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Matchbox and Hot Wheels are both great in their own way and my son loves both but I lean towards buying him Matchbox because they are (usually) designed to be realistic looking.

Of course, I am also buying a bunch of Greenlight, Auto World, and Johnny Lightning cars which are going into a box for when he is older.

My favorite is a 1969 Ford Torino Talladega from Johnny Lightning.

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1966 Minicooper
posted Hide Post
Matchbox by far. When I was a kid, Hot Wheels wasn't around yet. My favorite ones were Corgi Toys but they were more expensive and we couldn't afford them with six kids in the family. Matchbox was affordable for me so that's what I got. I always like the realism of both Matchbox and Corgi back then. I never likes the wheels on Hot Wheels, they were too big.

NRA Member
CCW Holder

Posts: 336 | Location: Cedarburg, WI | Registered: April 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post