SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hot Wheels or Match Box?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hot Wheels or Match Box? Login/Join 
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Definitely matchbox cars, and, I still have all mine collecting dust in the basement Smile

Posts: 3725 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great thread, brings back some fond memories.

Of course, it is another instance of SIGforum costing me moneu. I went on eBay and found a 1967 Mercury Cougar Matchbox. My brother had that Cougar when he was in high school - same color, etc.

It will be a great gift for him.

Posts: 694 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
^^^ just curious what did that cost you?

Posts: 3725 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
I was all about Matchbox when I was was a kid, had dozens and dozens of them. I had a few Hot Wheels, but those usually got hit by my toy train when they, ahem, unexpectedly ran out of gas while crossing the tracks. Big Grin

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Interesting side story…

About 5 or 6 years ago we built a home for a guy who was a former Exon executive. Then his Mom got sick and required her only son to take care of her so he resigned his job in NOVA and started caring for his Mom. He found out that he had some time on his hands and started thinking what he could do to earn a few bucks but still give him the flexibility to car for his Mom 24/7.

He had always loved Matchbox cars as a kid and started buying those he found at estate sales, fix them up and resel them on eBay.

When I met him after his Mom had passed and he decided to move down to Smith Mt. Lake he had very specific ideas of a room that would allow him to streamline the process. From cleaning, to painting, to photographing and finally shipping we set up the room.

One day I asked him why he didn’t go back to work he said why would he join the rat race in DC. He was clearing $5k/week…. Doing this on a part time basis. He had clients all over the world from Australia to Hong Kong who were very serious about acquiring specific cars to add to their collection and would literally pay thousands for the right car in pristine condition.

He even got permission from Mattel to recreate the wooden boxes that some models came in…

What a fascinating guy.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6319 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Perhaps my all-time favorite:

Is that the "Family Truckster"? Big Grin

I can't remember who/brand made it but my favorite was the James Bond car from "The Spy Who Loved Me". It was the White Lotus and was the one that was transformed into the underwater car.

The other night the History channel had a special about Matchbox and Hot Wheels. Pretty interesting history.

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I had a ton of hot wheels as a kid and recently sold the collection I had. I didn't keep them to sell, they were well played with as a kid. Got almost $500 for it. Sadly there was one car I crushed with a hammer as I used it for the police, EMS, and Fire to respond to. Turns out that one car alone would have been worth around $200. Leave it to me as a kid to smash the most expensive car. It was a Hot Wheels Red Line.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I like the older Matchbox cars (and milk wagon Wink ) with the metal wheels.

The kids couldn't bring any toys to school that didn't fit inside a matchbox, hence the name.

Seems like the best big rigs at the time were made by Winross. Triples, pups, tankers, straight trucks? They had them,

Johnny Lightning had a short run of cars that were not painted. I thought that was cool as well.

Racing Champions was good for a few unlicensed racecars. Picking one up from the year before they were officialy made for some good trades.

Interestingly enough, I have an older Matchbox Bugatti that doesn't have a year stamped on it.

Posts: 9156 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Hot Wheels. I have a few from the late 60s somewhere. Matchbox were not cool then. How could they be cool now?

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
(Neat video)

Thank you for the video! I always thought my Matchboxes were slower than my Hot Wheels cars; now I know why.

I'm hoping all my cars (both Matchbox and Hot Wheels) are still in the attic...

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I always preferred matchbox cars to hot wheels as a child.

Posts: 2959 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tenacious
Tempestuous
with Integrity
posted Hide Post
I was always into the construction equipment king size Matchbox vehicles in the 1960s. They were amazingly detailed and robust toys!

Posts: 791 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
As long as they had the good wheels I didn’t care. The ones that were hollow underneath with the round edge wheels mounted on a thin shaft never rolled good.

Posts: 17889 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was totally Hot Wheels.
Didn’t think anyone would say matchbox, but looks like th majority did.

Had them from the 1965 to 1970 Tim frame

Posts: 53 | Registered: October 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a kid in the late '60s, the little track and cars that we got at Christmas one year was; Johnny Lightning. Otherwise, I vote Hot Wheels.

Posts: 3221 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is America.
M.B. for week days
And
H.W. for the week ends
Getti the race on

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54646 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Must be an old geezer, never liked HW. My early days had plenty of Matchboxes, must have been hundreds and close to a thousand.
Didn’t much enjoy when they started making futuristic models but the military were my favorites.

Remember having thr larger size very old/early cars bit not sure if they were Matchbox too.

Had completely forgotten about the tiny cars. Fond memories.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12111 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
Hot Wheels had Sizzlers, so they automatically win. Not to mention, the Jack Rabbit Special!

quote:
Originally posted by MagnumU:
Of course, it is another instance of SIGforum costing me money. I went on eBay and found a 1967 Mercury Cougar Matchbox. My brother had that Cougar when he was in high school - same color, etc.

Hey, I learned how to drive and ... do other stuff ... in a '68 Mercury Cougar XR7!

Posts: 5585 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rebut10
posted Hide Post
Matchbox...The Ford GT model circa 1966 (or so) release was awesome.

Live free or die...
Don't tread on me...
Molon Labe...
Take your pick.

Posts: 1238 | Location: Not on Cape Cod. | Registered: December 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post