SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Snake ID?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Snake ID? Login/Join 
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
I vote cottonmouth, based on the dark horizontal line on the sides of the head. I think the photo may be deceptive regarding the thickness of the neck where it meets the head. It looks to me like the neck is thick from top to bottom, but not as wide, thus, it would appear thinner when viewed from above, I think.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I caught a snake alongside the garage last night. Abut three feet long, I wasn't sure of the type, but it moved like a sidewinder when I let it go. I picked up the back end, supported the front with a stick, and moved it to a bucket, then a pillow case, and drove it out of town. It wasn't particularly aggressive. Most I've relocated aren't, some are. This one got a bit agitated after a while, but settled down. They are fascinating critters, to be sure.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always seem to come across those devils when I least expect it. Gives me a real start. Most of the time not a "bad" one, but still startling.

I agree this one looks like a moccasin, sure wouldn't take any chances.

Bob

Posts: 1575 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:
quote:
Originally posted by pbramlett:
<<snip>>
We had a guy die last weekend from a copperhead bite in my area.

I guess I missed that! Was it on the local news? First I've heard of this, though obviously not doubting you... Big Grin

Bill,

It was on local news. Happened down on smith lake area.

Here is the article.
https://whnt.com/2019/05/28/ma...ad-in-walker-county/

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:
quote:
<<snip>>
We had a guy die last weekend from a copperhead bite in my area.

I guess I missed that! Was it on the local news? First I've heard of this, though obviously not doubting you... Big Grin

Bill,

Here is the article.

Wow. That's HIGHLY unusual. Must have had major complications or an allergic reaction. Copperheads are venomous, but they are the least venomous snake in the US. Unlike Cottonmouths and Rattlesnakes which have both a myotoxin and a hemotoxin, Copperheads only have a hemotoxin. Most times, Copperhead bite victims are not even treated with antivenin because the implications of an allergic-reaction to the antivenin is greater than the damage the hemotoxin presents. Usually, Copperhead bites are treated with antibiotics and palliative care. Almost all Copperhead bite victims are back to 100% within 7 weeks of a bite with no permanency.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
<<snip>>
Bill,

Here is the article.

Thanks, Paul! Totally missed that as I rarely watch the news anymore (can't stand all the left-leaning crap that is spewed).

Personally, I assume ANY snake is venomous until identified and declared otherwise!

Posts: 4587 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post