SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Snake ID?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Snake ID? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that's a "Bad Nope Rope"

Kill it before it kills your dog

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8350 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
The guys saying water mocassin and cottonmouth are both right. Two names for the same snake.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12439 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I live not far from where the OP is. Sometimes it is difficult to tell the difference between the banded water snake and a young moccasin at a distance but there is no doubt about this one. It is a moccasin. I kill a couple of these a year on my property-this is a young one but still very dangerous and can be aggressive. If you see a large fully developed moccasin you will immediately know it. Be careful-a significant percentage of envenomations occur even after the snake is dead.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Definitely a Cottonmouth. Catch it and send it to me. I have a place to let it go where it will be among friends.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbramlett:
<<snip>>
We had a guy die last weekend from a copperhead bite in my area.

I guess I missed that! Was it on the local news? First I've heard of this, though obviously not doubting you... Big Grin

Posts: 4588 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
Yup. Definitely a snake.

Posts: 4818 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
Kill.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5542 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The air above the din
Picture of Aquilon
posted Hide Post
Concur with the cottonmouth/water moccasin opinion. Need to get that one out ASAP and keep the dog away.

Posts: 966 | Location: Virginia | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I've read (but don't know if this is scientific fact) that adult venomous snakes learn to control their venom delivery in a strike, based on the size of their prey. It is important to control their supply of venom. Whereas, juveniles have not developed this technique yet and deliver a full load of venom.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eponym:
Yup. Definitely a snake.

I concur,

may be the bitey type,,,

take a look thru this site

http://www.whatsnakeisthat.com/

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10423 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So I guess the next question is how are you going to smite this foul serpent? 12 or 20 gauge? Or are you going to get medieval on it with a nice slightly rusty garden hoe ?

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Kill it.

And don’t monkey around with its head, you can still be bitten for hours after smiteing it with glorious vengeance!

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11286 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Flat point shovel will do it if the snake is snoozing

Posts: 26910 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kill. Chop off head and bury that. Let woods critters feast on the carcass.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
Looks like a broad banded water snake to me. A juvenile cottonmouth typically has a green or yellow tail that is distinct from the rest of its pattern. Also, a cottonmouth has a very distinct neck, the body tapering sharply just behind the head and I don't see that with this snake.

Spot on, TXJIM. I have an experienced eye for water snakes, as I worked on a minnow farm in south Miss. Cotton mouth moccasins have a VERY distinctive look around the neck and head. Their body really tapers at the neck and tail, and the head of pit vipers is a distinct triangle. A 3' cotton mouth will be as big around as your arm. An ordinary water snake has to be twice as long to be that thick. When threatened, ordinary water snakes will puff out their jaws to mimic the bad boys; I've seen 'em do it.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Flat point shovel will do it if the snake is snoozing

How do you tell if it's snoozing?
Do they snore?

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8350 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get a close-up of the pit in his mouth, only way to be sure. Razz

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1120 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/dL3ZIc5IL2w

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15485 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hunter62:
Wow, lots of different options. Looking up pictures of a cottonmouth, this looks pretty close. We have been seeing this one daily, might kill it next go around just in case the dog gets away from us. We have currently been herding it back to the sand. Figured it would help with any mice in the area. Wish I took more pictures of the head to help with ID.

It was a smaller snake, maybe 20-22”.

Looks like this one... cottonmouth

I think this is the key...

“...note its olive, dark tan, dark brown or an almost black body, thick and python-like in its girth, especially in the middle before it tapers to a long, thin tip.”

Cottonmouths I’ve seen, probably killed and skinned 10 or so as a kid, in north Texas and Oklahoma resemble that description. Yours doesn’t look like a cottonmouth to me but I’m not positive if it’s a youngin. Why is it not near water?

I’d relocate if possible, but if not then don’t take a chance.

Posts: 3954 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I generally prefer to contract out the dispatching of snakes, unless I am in an area where I can use my 12 gauge.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post