SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Handcuffed suspect steals Colorado State Trooper's vehicle and it's "Good night, Irene"
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Handcuffed suspect steals Colorado State Trooper's vehicle and it's "Good night, Irene" Login/Join 
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
It did have a cage, but it had a window and the guy climbed through it.

Posts: 11175 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My old stomping grounds, southeast Colorado, Otero and Bent counties. Initial stop (PIT maneuver) in or near La Junta, small city of around 10,000 population. Plenty of stupid to go around. Actually surprising to see so many cops available to respond; seldom more than a single CSP officer per shift and maybe a couple of sheriff's deputies on any given shift. But I've been retired for 28 years so lots of changes since my working days.

Glad I wasn't there. The paperwork would be massive.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1099 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Anthony Alphonso Sanchez III.

He aint the third no more.

But he did save someone the price of a bullet.

Posts: 11508 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Crazy. That was the town of La Junta (pronounced Hunta) in SE Colorado about an hour east of Pueblo. I used to live on Barnes Avenue which is where he got pit maneuvered. My old neighbor (Jess James died at 103) was the last person to drive that steam locomotive that you see in the video.

Glad that we moved when we did. Lots of shit started happening with the cartels after they legalized weed. Gang activity picked up, drive by shootings, etc and the overall character of the town changed for the worse. The only ones still there were too poor to get out and it's a shame.

Luckily the dipshit only hit the trailer and not anyone else. So much failure in that video but I'll comment on the positive. One less dipshit oxygen thief on this planet!

Posts: 2836 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Like I said on page #1... what was the deal with putting him in the back seat of a patrol car with other stuff back there.... watch the video... there is a yellow plastic case and a big black bag...

and yes there was a rifle somewhere in the car, they mentioned it several times on the radio.

Final question... did the guy live... I was surprised that he was still alive.. and I guess they drug him out of the car because it was still trying to catch on fire from the heat of the engine. Damn air bags are really amazing....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
I thought that Chargers were push button start and required the FOB to be in the car in order to drive it, at least the rental one I had did. Why would the FOB be in the car instead of on the officer?
I never thought about it much, but I always assumed those cars had run flat tires on them. Obviously not.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3855 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
It appeared to me that opposite direction traffic had been stopped, so the semi- driver was just sitting there.

Yeah, someone REALLY wasn't thinking there. Let's stop all the traffic right where we're going to blow the tires off a speeding car. That was pretty stupid. They're lucky they only ruined one innocent guy's life and didn't kill other bystanders in the process.

I can speak to this.

1. Deploying stop sticks is typically a situation where you don't have a lot of time. You have to get ahead of the suspect and predict where they're going to go, and they usually aren't very cooperative in that regard. You're also limited by policy regarding the areas where they can be deployed, so that makes it even harder.

2. Dealing with the motoring public around emergency vehicles will destroy your faith in humanity. The best you can hope for is that they do what they're supposed to do and pull over and stop, but very few do. If they do stop it's usually in the worst possible spot. More often than not they just keep driving oblivious to what's going on around them, or worse turn and cut you off, or stop in the middle of the road right before a hill crest...the list goes on. If you want to hear some profanity, listen to some dash cam audio of cops responding to emergency calls. I've even been on high risk stops where we've got 5 or 6 squad cars with officers in their open doorways, guns drawn and pointed at the suspect and some retard will just drive up and park 50 yards downrange like nothing's going on...apparently the bullets all magically stop at the bad guy Roll Eyes.

I've deployed stop sticks on a highway before. I set my squad up on the shoulder with lights activated, per policy. The suspect was less than a mile out, and I was doing my best windmill impression with my left arm, holding the stop sticks in the other, trying to move people through. A bunch just stopped and wouldn't move. A couple actually rolled their windows down and tried to ask questions, then acted offended when I screamed at them to go. In situation in the video, I doubt the officers intentionally set it up so that that traffic was there...it likely just came along and they didn't have an opportunity to get rid of it.

3. Stop sticks don't "blow the tires" off a vehicle. They're designed to cause controlled deflation over a period of time. With both of my successful deployments, the vehicle continued for several miles until the tire came apart and the vehicle was no longer driveable. There was no perceptible change in the course of travel immediately after hitting the sticks. My best guess from the video is that the driver was attempting to either avoid the sticks, or incorrectly believed that hitting them was going to cause a loss of control, and his reaction caused him to drive into the trailer.

We actually had a kid one time in a stolen car who got sticked, but she was driving through a yard and the officer deployed them on the grass (which per the training is not recommended). The ground was so soft that the sticks were actually innefective. Even though she drove right over them, it just pushed them into the ground and the probes didn't penetrate any of the tires. Immediately after hitting them, though, she stopped and gave up. Psychologically, she thought the car was immediately disabled. My guess is something similar happened in the video, but with catastrophically different results.

Posts: 8677 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Looking at the video again, they picked a spot where the road had guard rails so the guy couldn't run off road to avoid the spikes and the chance of hitting them was higher,

no place for the vehicles on the side to pull over once they hit the guard rail section which was on both sides, likely a culvert or dry river bed bridge.

You can see he clearly swerves right to avoid the spikes and overcorrected. From the in car camera it doesn't look like he's moving that fast, but when the view switches to the spike operators camera you can see how fast they were running.

Overcorrection at high speed, If he lived it's remarkable and a testament to Dodge and airbag tech.

Posts: 23594 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
…If he lived it's remarkable and a testament to Dodge and airbag tech.
Description in the YT video states he “…later succombed to his injuries.”

One less mouth breather infecting the Earth with his seed…

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23594 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Weasely little guy snaked his way into the driver's seat. Did a number on that trailer.

Couldn't have ended worse for him. Did the old panic jerk the wheel at high speed maneuver.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6987 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
Well, to be fair, high speed car-control gets dicey when the tires instantaneously lose pressure.

That's why they call em stop sticks. How the car actually stops, is up to physics. F=MA is a bitch.

Posts: 5158 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I honestly think I flinched just a little when he smashed the semi.

Officer : "What Hurts?!"
Him : "EVERYTHING!"

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8858 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
He almost lost control when he attempted to evade the first set of stop sticks. His second attempted was similar but he over corrected more and that was the end. It was just physics from that point to impact.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38006 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I flinched a lot when the dash camera went black at the impact of that trailer....

years ago I was doing a service call to a house and the guy that lived there not only had to brag about it but show me the scare.... he tried to out run the cops in his car ... came around a curve lost control went into a yard but before he stopped he hit the chain link fence and the top rail of the fencing impailed him through the chest... took about two hours to cut him out and get him to the hospital... he was out on bail waiting for his trial.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
Gotta give him credit for being one agile little motherfucker though. And just determined to be a royal fuck up that day. See ya, dumbass.

Posts: 1959 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good riddance

Posts: 437 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LoboGunLeather:
My old stomping grounds, southeast Colorado, Otero and Bent counties. Initial stop (PIT maneuver) in or near La Junta,

I recognized that too. That underpass as the video starts is right as you get into La Junta proper. My parents grew up there. Know it well.

Posts: 7551 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
John has a
long moustashe
Picture of john1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
quote:
Originally posted by LoboGunLeather:
My old stomping grounds, southeast Colorado, Otero and Bent counties. Initial stop (PIT maneuver) in or near La Junta,

I recognized that too. That underpass as the video starts is right as you get into La Junta proper. My parents grew up there. Know it well.

I spotted it right off, too. I lived in La Junta in the early '80s when I was in the NPS at Bent's.

Posts: 594 | Location: Rural NW Oklahoma | Registered: June 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
2. Dealing with the motoring public around emergency vehicles will destroy your faith in humanity. The best you can hope for is that they do what they're supposed to do and pull over and stop, but very few do. If they do stop it's usually in the worst possible spot. More often than not they just keep driving oblivious to what's going on around them, or worse turn and cut you off, or stop in the middle of the road right before a hill crest...the list goes on.

Nothing surprises me.I was on a fire scene one night. Female motorist ordered(!)me to move the five inch line from the hydrant to engine as she wanted to drive down that street.

Two blocks away she could have made her way around the fire ground with no drama. That wasn’t good enough for her.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8140 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post