SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Modest vacuum sealer recommendations?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Modest vacuum sealer recommendations? Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...0601935/m/4030057684

ulsterman's vacuum sealer thread is in a completely different universe from what I'm looking at.
$1300 machines are not in my future. Big Grin

I have an antique Dazey Seal-a-Meal that hasn't been used in years (bags no longer available). We've taken to using ziplock freezer bags but obviously neither have the benefit of air removal. It'd be nice to have a modest but reliable and capable small vacuum unit.

I see the $99 Nesco VS-12 seems to get good reviews. That said there are numerous under $200 units out there. Anyone care to weigh in here?

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I've used a $200+ Foodsaver since around 1995 or so and it works beautifully, so I believe in the brand.

Here's a Foodsaver for $159.99
https://www.amazon.com/FoodSav...b3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
https://www.meatyourmaker.com/preserve/food-sealer/

I have the larger size of this one and it’s been great. To me it seems like a step up from my previous Food saver sealers.

Posts: 12915 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
You can get all the air out of a zip lock bag. Fill your sink with water. Put the product you wish to freeze in the zip lock. Submerge the zip lock bag into the water right up to the seal. Then seal shut. Dry the bag and put in freezer. The water pressure forces all the air out of the bag. Poor mans food sealer! Or if you just don't want another appliance cluttering up the kitchen.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8504 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
Would these bags work?

I've had a FoodSaver machine for 15 or 20 years. I don't use it all the time but it's been great. Amazon has two models. One at $89 and one at $159. I like the canisters for various items - that might influence which machine I'd buy if I had to replace my current unit. Amazon search results

If you're a member of a warehouse club check prices there.

Looks like FoodSaver has a black friday sale Sometimes I freeze large items (I do hunt) so I'd look hard at the Gamesaver Big Game model. It's listed at 40% off.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
We have one we bought on sale at Costco a two or three years ago. They don't carry it anymore, but it's very similar to the FoodSaver® FM2000 Vacuum Sealing System

My wife recalls we bought it on sale for around $80 and the normal price was somewhere north of $100.

Works great. Some stuff my wife buys gets split into meal-size portions, vacuum-sealed, and frozen. She cooks some stuff in large quantities and does the same.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26006 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:

I see the $99 Nesco VS-12 seems to get good reviews.
The Amazon web page for this has two answers to the question "Where is this made?"

One replay says China, the other says U.S.A.

I used the "Contact Us" form on the Nesco website and asked. Nesco customer service replied that it is made in China.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30541 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
We have the Foodsaver same as the uber-picture above.
It was $99 at Costco and Tuesday Morning at the time.
I would rather have one of those high dollar units but this works perfectly well.
Supplies are readily available everywhere too.

Posts: 22854 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
SR,

No sadly those bags won't work. Mine uses bags that have pre-punched holes to fit on the hot seal guide. But thanks.

All,

Looking hard at your recommendations.
Jeff, sent you an email.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Food Saver

Posts: 7010 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had my Food Saver for a bunch of years now, and it gets worked a fair bit, as I smoke a lot of meats and poultry during the Holidays and vacuum seal it for the next year. A few years back I did have to purchase new seals ($2.00) for the lid. It does just what I need for it to do.

I may still have a few of the old Dazy seal-a-meal bags around somewhere. I am not too sure how good they would be at this date.

Posts: 6600 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I have used this Foodsaver for three and a half years, and I have used it A LOT.

Works like a champ and if it lasts 4 years and dies $32 bucks a year for everything I've sealed is pretty good. The amount of food I've been able to make last pays for it.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/pr...n_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
I have a Foodsaver as well, works wonderfully.

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
quote:

I see the $99 Nesco VS-12 seems to get good reviews. That said there are numerous under $200 units out there. Anyone care to weigh in here?

We have this unit. It does not see heavy use - we use it for sous vide and other tasks, maybe once or twice weekly. It's enough for our modest uses and seems like it will continue trucking along well enough.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Scheel's has the Nesco VS-12 for $89.99 shipped. Smile

https://www.scheels.com/p/nesc...ler/07826201128.html

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
We've been using the Foodsaver sealers for years. We seal & freeze alot of fresh produce for use in the Winter, and alot of meats that we get at good prices.

We used the heck out of one of the basic $70 models, for a few years but it finally wore out this year. We replaced it with one of their more expensive models, thinking it'd take harder use, but that was a big mistake.

https://www.amazon.com/FoodSav...r%2Caps%2C575&sr=8-6

With this new $189 super duper model, we can only vacuum seal one or two items before it overheats & we have to let it sit for a minute or two, to cool down. We were much happier with the less expensive model.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Use the Foodsaver bought at Costco, it was on sale under $100, but it's not now $149.

https://www.costco.com/foodsav...oduct.100648022.html

Posts: 23236 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
Submerge the zip lock bag into the water right up to the seal. Then seal shut.

Sometimes I use a straw to suck the air out. Saw that trick years ago. You suck out the air then seal the last little spot of the seal as you pull the straw out. Trouble is ziplock bags usually don't seal all that good.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4117 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
My Foodsaver gets a lot of use, both to freeze and store food and for sous vide cooking which it’s great for. It was a lot cheaper when I bought it at Costco years ago but if it broke I’d replace it at the current price. It easily earns it’s counter space here but they may have versions just as capable with a smaller footprint if the size is an issue.

https://www.foodsaver.com/food...P_FSFSSL4440000.html

Posts: 6955 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post