SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Frank Loyd Wright and his homes
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Frank Loyd Wright and his homes Login/Join 
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Great creative mind. Shame about his wife though.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29711 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So a guy can get a 3,400 sq.ft. , F.L.W . Style home built today, someone could design it.

But!

Instead of that home being
$ 340,000.00 to erect,
The cost could very well be much closer to One million dollars ?

Is this what I am understanding ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54659 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Personally, I put his work as being different solely for the sake of being different. But that's just my opinion.

I saw similar to this on a TV documentary once... 7 things Frank Lloyd Wright, a great American architect, got wrong about design.

Link is behind a pay wall... depending on your ad blocker or browser so I will copy paste the list.

https://www.insider.com/what-f...ght-got-wrong-2016-8

1) His roofs weren’t properly supported.
2) Many buildings leaked.
3) Concrete foundations were often too weak.
4) Wright didn’t fully consider future maintenance or upkeep.
5) The buildings wasted lots of energy.
6) Wright’s drainage systems weren’t always up to the task.
7) Wright prioritized design above all else.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I didn't realize he was criticized, I love his houses. I'd never want to own one due to upkeep or possible historical restrictions on renovations, but damn are they pretty and unique.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20830 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:

I agree his building methods are pricey, but his designs can also prove to be fraught with flaws.

^^^This is it in a nutshell. Attractive, interesting designs, but poorly built maintenance nightmares. The building materials and methods of the time hadn't caught up with his designs.

Exactly. He was too far ahead of his time. My dad was a mason by trade and took a great interest in the restoration work at Fallingwater. It took years for them to develop the tech to actually do his stuff the right way.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
The gas station he designed in Cloquet, MN is still in use.

Gas station

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4840 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of Frank Lloyd Wright homes here in South Florida. I'm not a big fan as they usually have very unique architecture that well, is too unique for my tastes. The houses have stood the test of time from what I can see here.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
The clubhouse at the King Kamehameha Golf Club here is a Frank Lloyd Wright design. I don’t golf but it’s a gorgeous place and being private it’s an escape as well.

share photo free

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
There are a lot of Frank Lloyd Wright homes here in South Florida. I'm not a big fan as they usually have very unique architecture that well, is too unique for my tastes. The houses have stood the test of time from what I can see here.

There are no Frank Lloyd Wright designed homes in South Florida. There's one in Tallahassee and one based on a 1939 design, but built in 2013 on the Southern Univeristy campus in Lakeland. The campus was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. There are twelve buildings connected by covered walkways all designed by him.

Wright said Miami homes were “things a pig would be ashamed to live in, if pigs could talk."

Fun fact, he's credited with coining the word: carport.

Posts: 10971 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Correction: Regarding the power lines at Taliesin West - reflections of my tour ...
Viewing the Papago Mountains and Camelback, power lines obstruct our view. What would Frank have said? He did say, actually.

Of the nearby power lines, which so disturbed Wright that he wrote to President Truman requesting that they be placed underground. When Truman refused, saying it would create a precedent, Wright replied: “I have been creating precedents all my life.” – from an article by Thomas Swick, South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ozarkwoods:

Gas station

I go there to have propane tanks filled and service work done occasionally. The pictures are quite flattering compared to seeing it in person.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8535 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
quote:

Gas station

I go there to have propane tanks filled and service work done occasionally. The pictures are quite flattering compared to seeing it in person.

Wow! Just my opinion but that is fugly!

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8113 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Gas station

Yes, when I worked in Eveleth in the late 70s I passed by the station on my trips to the twin cities. Back then it looked pretty good I can only imagine what it looks like today if they didn’t keep it up.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4840 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

There are no Frank Lloyd Wright designed homes in South Florida. There's one in Tallahassee and one based on a 1939 design, but built in 2013 on the Southern Univeristy campus in Lakeland. The campus was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. There are twelve buildings connected by covered walkways all designed by him.

Wright said Miami homes were “things a pig would be ashamed to live in, if pigs could talk."

Fun fact, he's credited with coining the word: carport.

Yep, he thought if you put walls up around where you parked the car, people would just store junk in there. Car port ensures its only used for parking cars.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yep, he thought if you put walls up around where you parked the car, people would just store junk in there. Car port ensures its only used for parking cars.

That's hilarious! I guess he never envisioned the use of carports in central Arkansas.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
^Unfortunately, at least in my case, he was right. Moving from a house with a basement to one without was interesting.

Posts: 10971 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Gas station

Yes, when I worked in Eveleth in the late 70s I passed by the station on my trips to the twin cities. Back then it looked pretty good I can only imagine what it looks like today if they didn’t keep it up.

They've touched it up a bit but still rather unimpressive. Eveleth? Our lake place is not far from there. They only city that I know of that told the Governor to pound sand and told their local businesses inside city limits to go ahead and open up if they so wish.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8535 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
I've got family that lives next door to Falling Water. I love his homes and would strangle a dolphin to own one. My pals up here in CT lived in a home that was designed by his apprentice and is very much in the FLW style. There are framed photos of FLW and the apprentice at the construction site displayed in the home. It is such an amazing house to entertain in.

Here's a crappy photo I took of the fireplace area in the living room.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been really, really impressed by his design work, but as others have pointed out he put aesthetics over everything. I'd kill to live in Fallingwater or other Wright home, but some of the ceilings reflect how short he was, and I recall that many of the doors were odd sizes.

I'm probably the only cop in the agency with ties that have FLW designs on them.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
The only FLW building I have been in is the park headquarters for Rocky Mountain National Park. It is typical FLW, and quite lovely.

His influence is felt in almost all of those long, low ranch style houses built in the '50s and '60s. In some the influence is more pronounced, and in others it is just there in the overall proportions.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post