SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is your tolerance for spicy hot food?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is your tolerance for spicy hot food? Login/Join 
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
Before I quit smoking almost 14 years ago, I had no tolerance for heat in food. Now I love spicy food, up to just shy of habanero peppers. I like ghost chili touches, but not a lot.

Posts: 4019 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
No tolerance. I've never understood how people enjoy eating napalm.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I like spicy foods but not over the top. I most always use Franks on eggs, chili, and a few other things. Nothing any hotter.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I LOVE spicy food. There is a point of diminishing return, however. If all I taste is spicy, that usually means I'm missing out on the rest of the flavors in the dish. That's no bueno.

I make a killer spinach dip that can use various types of chiles. I've made it with green chile, habanero, jalapeno, fresh ghost chile, Trinidad scoprions, and Carolina reapers. They were all awesome.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17278 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
I love heat, if it doesn’t make my forehead sweat, it’s not hot enough.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4835 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted Hide Post
For me the hotter the better, I put cayenne on everything I eat (well almost) and habanero ho t sauce.

So I would say mine is very high!

Archerman

Posts: 2486 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately very high.

Love hot peppers, put it in everything, mix it in salad dressing.

Favorite, is to take a scotch bonnet, use a garlic press and mash it out and put into hummus.

Flaked rd pepper is good on everything I find.

I find with use, I can tolerate any/all natural types of peppers.

Concentrates are another matter, not fond of them as they are all heat and little flavor.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7179 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
We used to eat Ghost peppers at work to wake us up on night shift if that answers it.

We were subscribed to "the last dab" monthly box and tried the sauce by the same name. Was actually really good.

I prefer ground sauces like that one, Secret Aardvark (my favorite) and others that simply include vinegar, ginger, etc. to the concentrated oily sauces.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6318 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Not very much now. When I was young, I would eat a volcano if I could.

It's not that I don't like it, it's just it makes me sick now. Anyone that says spicy food won't affect an ulcer is not telling you the truth.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I like a little spicy, about the medium range. If it burns me up, I will pass.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Depends on the type of spicey, Mexican....I like pretty hot....Asian, maybe a medium.

Speaking of Asian hot, my boss and I were in a Thai restaurant and when we ordered they asked how hot 1-5 did we want, I asked for a 4 since most Thai places seem to down grade their hot for the Americans. My Boss asked the waitress, "How hot is 5?" Her response "Are you flying tomorrow?" When he responded in the negative she said "ok, you should be fine" Big Grin

Cracked us up

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
Not very much now. When I was young, I would eat a volcano if I could.

It's not that I don't like it, it's just it makes me sick now. Anyone that says spicy food won't affect an ulcer is not telling you the truth.

You're right. My Dad got pretty sick from eating a small piece of an Ortega pepper, which isn't hot at all for me. Yes, he had an ulcer.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Mine is moderately high.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Finally… Big Grin

Good to see some true chili-heads represent!

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post