SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is your tolerance for spicy hot food?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is your tolerance for spicy hot food? Login/Join 
Picture of p08
posted
When I was younger I couldn't eat really hot spicy foods. I find as I am getting older I can eat spicy hot foods with no side effects. A local chili parlor has boards where if you eat the hottest chili you get your name up on it. Just got my name up again today. Kinda burned on my lips, but I feel great. This place was on Man vs Food and the host could only eat 2 bowls before he called it quits.

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I'm going the other direction as I age. I don't even eat jalapenos much past dinner time or else I don't sleep well.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Pretty high

Posts: 13263 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I am the same as you. I can eat things at 50 that would have destroyed me at 25. I think tolerance builds over time as you eat spicier and spicier foods. I also will note that I don’t mind heat with flavor, but steer away from heat with no benefit other than to be hot.

Posts: 2959 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
It’s a tolerance that comes and goes how much you eat. If you eat a lot of hot food regularly, no problem. Skip it for a month or two, and a mild pepper will seem like a Naga jolokia ghost pepper.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I've not noticed any change in my preferences. I like some spicy foods and not others. For heat I prefer cayenne to jalapeno.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Fairly high.

If you can tolerate the discomfort, your body will reward you (assuming you don't burn a hole in the lining of your stomach). Very spicy food will initiate a pain response by your body and your system will be flooded with endorphins and you may experience what is commonly referred to as a runner's high.

I think that's why a lot of chile heads do this stuff. The others, they're just trying to act tough or exceptional in some way. Yeah, be careful with that kind of thing, Rambo. You could end up in the hospital. I've seen it happen.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107598 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I love spicy/hot food. I'm noticing that my tolerance is starting subside a little as I get older though. I still put hot pepper sauce on a lot of things I eat and don't see me getting away from that any time soon.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Distinguished Pistol Shot
posted Hide Post
Absolutely zero. I had six weeks of radiation therapy due to oral cancer. Did a lot of damage. Even after 25 years, anything spicy including too much black pepper, too acidic or alcohol over 20 proof is excruciating.

Posts: 832 | Location: South Central MO | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I’ve learned to tolerate more over the years. I do not like painful “get me the milk” spice, but I do enjoy enough heat to know it is there. My only physical reaction is regardless of the heat, my head sweats something fierce…which makes it look like my hair is dripping wet.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I love hot spicy food. But for me there is a limit. I am not going to be that guy eating the Carolina Reaper on YouTube and going into a coma.

Hot and intense with flavor is fantastic. Simply hot, such that lip pain and a burning throat are the primary sensations don't do it for me.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12778 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Fairly high.

If you can tolerate the discomfort, your body will reward you (assuming you don't burn a hole in the lining of your stomach). Very spicy food will initiate a pain response by your body and your system ill be flooded with endorphins and you may experience what is commonly referred to a a runner's high.

I think that's why a lot of chile heads do this stuff. The others, they're just trying to act tough or exceptional in some way. Yeah, be careful with that kind of thing, Rambo. You could end up in the hospital. I've seen it happen.

Indeed… My idiot son when he was 16, ate 2 raw ghost peppers, sequentially one right after another.

After an hour of milk, yogurt, sour cream, etc. etc. … he lays down and perspires on the sofa.

Where in my other son proceeds to switch places with him and then starts to feel the capsaicin burn from the leftover perspiration on the couch on his own skin.

Next morning at 4 AM I get a call as he’s laying on the bathroom floor. Of course now it’s a point of false pride and a badge of honor. Roll Eyes

The ER doesn’t really have a good answer for treating this, I’ll tell you in advance. Eek

While you are not physically burned, your body believes it’s been burned and acts as if it’s been burned.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Moderately low. If I get Thai at the local place, 5/10 is as high as I should go and that gives me a pretty good fix. I did 9/10 the first time I got takeout there and drank all our milk.
I would say my tolerance has gone down as I age.
But I do love it and I know my limitations, as long as I'm familiar w/ the restaurant.

Posts: 7357 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Pretty high. Quite high, in fact. You do build up a tolerance.

And it is all about the endorphins at those levels of heat. Not that I don't like hot for the taste, but at hot enough to trigger endorphins, it isn't so much about taste.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dking271:

I think tolerance builds over time as you eat spicier and spicier foods.

It's not tolerance. As you age, your tastebuds and tongue age as well and you aren't tasting things as well or strongly as you did when you were younger. Your sense of heat (temperature) also diminishes with age which is why you have the classic trope of the old man complaining that his soup isn't hot enough. Because to him, it isn't.

Posts: 33812 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Oh I can tolerate the hot stuff pretty damn good. It's the next morning's physiological event that gets dicey...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Well, I've upgraded to a scorpion sauce on tacos from habanero, I usually order a heat level of 4 or 5 out of 6 at a Thai restaurant, and I'm usually adding extra chopped or minced chilies to other Asian foods.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
Medium, of sorts, but it has to have flavor

my favorite chip (when they were available here) is Gibbles Red Hots,

I could eat a bag, mouth would be burning, and love it,
great taste, and a fair amount of heat,

whereas to me , the other brands of hot chips and cheetos just taste hot,, as in nasty,

I'm not a pepper eater,, but don't mind them in dishes,

like me some kimchi too,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Used to be a "5". Now it's a "2". Frown

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Above average, I enjoy up to habanero levels of heat. Ghost peppers and Reapers are a bit much.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post