SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    CASIO G SHOCK ADVICE
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CASIO G SHOCK ADVICE Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I have one that I bought at Costco (as you didn’t carry Suunto at the time). It is reliable and seems durable. It’s like a Toyota. I’d prefer a Suunto.

Posts: 12583 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of the best watches out there. I've been wearing one most of my adult life.

And the selection of models seems unending. I would imagine this would be a good thing from a dealers perspective.

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
I have had a G Shock for several years -- at least 5+. Have never had a problem with it.

I don't wear it too much now as I have an Apple Watch, but think they are good watches.

Posts: 6580 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I have a Casio G-Shock that I bought new in 2004 and it is still going good with the original battery. Great watch for the money.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9420 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
I don't think I'd take on the Casio line.

Great watches and all that. No complaints for the price point but the competition is online and larger retailers. Tough to compete against that if there's a minimum dollar amount a dealer has to purchase.

Also consider that Timex has a very popular line of Ironman watches that are a competitor.

I own both and a Suunto as well. Excellent watches but I'd have to really crunch the numbers and size up the competition first. The worst thing would be for people to come into your place to finger fuck the watches and then buy the online.

Posts: 4254 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I'm still considering opening the line. There are others that I have thought of as well, one being Suunto.

Which ever line I do open, I will open the buying to SF at cost. This would be a 1 time deal...will let you all know soon.

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6064 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
ichi-go ichi-e
Picture of Underworld2086
posted Hide Post
I like the older style plain jane square faces. The "Made in Japan" bands are much nicer than the Chinese ones.

Posts: 696 | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I owned a few G-shocks in the past. I consider them my Glocks of watch like someone said previously. They were my cheap beater watches I used to work around the cars and house. I didn't care if they get scratched up or damage by automotive fluids and solvents.

I wouldn't want to spend more than a $75 on one since there are better watches once you get close to the $200 range. I would use my Suunto for back-country and outdoor uses and my Garmins for GPS tracking activities like running and biking.

I find the interface and display on most G-shock models hookey and superfluous for what it does but as a cheap beater watch, I overlook some of that.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: August 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by davetruong:
Thanks guys, I'm still considering opening the line. There are others that I have thought of as well, one being Suunto.

Which ever line I do open, I will open the buying to SF at cost. This would be a 1 time deal...will let you all know soon.

Posts: 11416 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had two G Shock watches. The first watch was no longer wearable after I smashed it while working in the yard. The watch kept time but the plastic that surrounded the watch was badly broken.

I've had the second watch for 20 years. I put a small compass on the band to help me keep my sense of direction aligned with real North and not where I thought North was (We off roaded into a small set of sand dunes in Southern California one night and I realized that the lights of Las Vegas were 180 degrees off from where I thought they should be!)

I've had the Timex Ironman watches. They're a good choice as well. I had a Suunto and thought it was difficult to use.

____

I'm filled with gratitude for the blessings I've received.

Posts: 717 | Location: So Cal | Registered: September 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:

Oh shit...

Now I'm going to have start saving my pennies now. Big Grin

I have a couple in mind.

Posts: 13314 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'll be in for a Rangemaster.

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
When in Japan at the Hotel New Otani, I had high hopes of purchasing a G-Shock. The price at most retailers was $400 or more. I went home empty handed. To me, given the plethora of retailers with G-Shock branded watches, I would think you would need to have something different -- certified made in Japan -- to overcome the alternate products found in generic malls.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5218 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Obvious
posted Hide Post
Suunto Cores are trash. The buttons get stuck on the side. I am on my third one replaced under warranty. It is now in my watch box because I am tired of the side buttons getting stuck and this one is doing it as well. I don't feel like shipping it off yet again (at my cost) for a known reported issue all over the internet.

I have gone back to my g-shocks that work perfectly. I still have my very first g-shock and it works fine.

Posts: 3364 | Registered: July 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
A few months ago I decided to buy a digital watch, something that would be my "one and only" as I don't really like digital. After a little research I bought a Casio G-Shock GW-5000-1JF from Japan. It was $318 shipped and it is an awesome watch, money well spent. I still haven't worn it much as I prefer my Seiko diver but it is still a beautiful watch.

There are G-Shock aficionados out there who are willing to pay top dollar for the good models, without a doubt. During my research I was amazed at how many people had such huge G-Shock collections.

Posts: 10640 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
The problem I have with G-Shocks is that I can't seem to kill them (and make way for newer ones.)

That won't stop me from buying more, Dave.

Currently have a DW5600 that was Dad's "work" watch in the late 80s/early 90s. Still going strong. Shares digital wrist-time with a GW6900 atomic/solar, also unstoppable.

Yes, ugly as sin, but balls-on reliable.

Posts: 2531 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Just bought ANOTHER! It arrived yesterday. I WISH I COULD HAVE PURCHASED IT FROM YOU!!!! Let us know. Here is the latest!

https://imgur.com/a/G9Yb1Mi

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love the Casio G-Shock watches. I love quality BIG face watches. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3094 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
Does the G-Shock watch come in any model that isn't huge and is analog? Skinny wrists here.

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2436 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
My son who is a US Marine wears his daily. I gave it to him when he finished boot camp. It's been through Marine infantry school in North Carolina, jungle combat training in Okinawa, Operation Cobra Gold in Thailand, training in Alaska, and many field excercises in the Mojave desert at Twentynine Palms, not to mention personal adventuring at the Grand Canyon, and mountain climbing and coastal swimming in California. It's a beast. It looks even better now that is has honest to goodness US Marine wear and tear on it.

I have a Rangeman I wear daily. Mine doesn't get near the wear and tear his does. It's solar powered, and gets some kind of feed everyday from some atomic clock. It's always accurate. It survies being in saltwater and sand almost every weekend. I've banged it against my boat and rocks, not too mention door jambs, a lot. Never misses a beat.

No need for a smart watch. G-Shocks rule.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post