SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Incident in the Grocery store parking lot.
Page 1 2 3 4 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Incident in the Grocery store parking lot. Login/Join 
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
Anyone who can point to where they live can also walk there.

This.

Odds are heavily favored that he was up to no good.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16707 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Report This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
“I live right over there..” then walk. I’d walk 10 miles before I asked a stranger for a ride.

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Report This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of a meme I saw recently.

Guy picks up a hitchhiker and when they get down the road a bit the passenger asks:

Aren't you concerned I might be a serial killer?

Driver responds:

No, because the odds of two serial killers being in the same car is highly unlikely.

Posts: 1813 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Report This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
"Would you like me to call a locksmith for you? Or a taxi?"

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30682 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Report This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
"Would you like me to call a locksmith for you? Or a taxi?"

Or the coroner?

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Report This Post
Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
No one gets close to me in parking lots if I see them coming. I tell them to stop and stay away or to get back.

If they get up close I make it very clear to get away and that I’m not interested in anything. At all.

I would not have opened my window. Otherwise, you seem to have followed your instincts well.

Posts: 7344 | Location: Hermit’s Peak | Registered: November 14, 2008Report This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Your actions seemed prudent to me. Even if he wasn't setting you up for a potential car jacking, it sounds like just one more riff on a typical panhandler story.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Report This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Based on some of the replies here, most of you guys are lucky to survive the walk from your car to your front door with it being such a dangerous world and all.

There are certainly some situations, in some places, at some times that could clearly be some sort of set up and best to be avoided. That said, I have helped countless strangers who found themselves in need, in the hopes that if one of my family member or friend finds themselves in a similar situation, somebody will be there to help them.

I'm not picking up hitchhikers, I'm not giving panhandlers money, but if I see somebody trying to change a tire, unlock a car, or has other issues, I will always offer to help if my situation allows it.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15721 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Report This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
I left. Was I being too cautious? Rude?

Thoughts?

I watched an episode of Laura Ingram's show last night. Every thing she said was spot on - until she closed it out by saying something about the "inherent goodness of mankind."

I thought to myself, "No. Man is most certainly NOT inherently good." Only someone who was born and raised in a culture that has been highly influenced by the teachings of Jesus Christ could ever view man as inherently good. And, even then, it would require a certain amount of ignorance to not recognize how men of other cultures are not good. I'm thinking about folks like the couple who thought they could go to Middle Eastern countries and be treated just as well as they would here in the States - only to be murdered.

I think you were smart in how you handled the situation.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10706 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
A1abdj.
Those that are up on age, those with physical limitations ,those with mental concerns and especially those that have financial concerns have way different perspectives than those that don't.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54651 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Report This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm not picking up hitchhikers, I'm not giving panhandlers money,

Neither did George, I've offered help to many, and pay it forward, however I'd tell my 80 year old father to just be a curmudgeon and tell them to piss off..

Lots of people target the elderly especially here in FL and doing this is exactly how you continue to survive, especially in larger metro areas...

Posts: 23461 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That is correct Bendable. You left out one part though. If you grew up in an urban environment in a large Northern city, you learned NOT to interact with others because you could get hurt. The opposite is true if you grew up in a small town in Iowa. Completely different mind sets. Parenting plays a big role as well.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Report This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Completely different mind sets.

LOL agree wholeheartedly, that went through my mind right after I hit the post now button,

Posts: 23461 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Report This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
You did what you felt you had to do. It was your decision and it was a good one.

Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by synthplayer:
"No. Man is most certainly NOT inherently good."

Far from it. As can be seen in current events, the only thing that keeps a large number of people in line is the fear of being caught and punished for preying on their fellow man, and when the threat of justice is removed, that inner nature spills out.

Posts: 15031 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
Anyone who can point to where they live can also walk there.

This.

Odds are heavily favored that he was up to no good.

That is the issue. Heavily favored that he could or should walk there. Also strongly favored that he was going to try and take advantage of you.

-c1steve

Posts: 4055 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Report This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
I left. Was I being too cautious? Rude?

Nope. You never know now days.

Posts: 22912 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Report This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
"No habla inglés"
If they start speaking Spanish:
"Sorry, I don't speak Spanish either."

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4619 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Report This Post
Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
Based on some of the replies here, most of you guys are lucky to survive the walk from your car to your front door with it being such a dangerous world and all.

There are certainly some situations, in some places, at some times that could clearly be some sort of set up and best to be avoided. That said, I have helped countless strangers who found themselves in need, in the hopes that if one of my family member or friend finds themselves in a similar situation, somebody will be there to help them.

I'm not picking up hitchhikers, I'm not giving panhandlers money, but if I see somebody trying to change a tire, unlock a car, or has other issues, I will always offer to help if my situation allows it.

Based on the first line of response, none of us should be carrying guns. There's a close to 100% chance we'll never need them.

Allow me to further qualify my above post. I'm not talking about being paranoid or freaking out when people try to engage. But there's a right way and a wrong way. If I need to engage, I approach in such a way as not to surprise, from angles I can be seen at a reasonable distance, and I announce myself. I do not just walk up to someone I don't know. And someone walking up to me in a parking lot that I don't know, as mentioned- there is almost no chance there is legitimate business at hand.

If I see someone who clearly needs help, depending on other surroundings and circumstances, I may help. But it depends on a lot of things. Many times people say they need help, but in reality they don't.

Posts: 7344 | Location: Hermit’s Peak | Registered: November 14, 2008Report This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by George43:

He said "I've locked myself out of my car, can you give me a lift? I live right over there".

Thoughts?

Your best thought was AMFYOYO.

The guy didn't get in your car and possibly try something stupid.

You don't have to shop for a matching door panel for your car.

Posts: 9157 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Report This Post