SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Should NASCAR change the name to CRASHCAR?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Should NASCAR change the name to CRASHCAR? Login/Join 
posted
Trying to watch the race after the Daytona Disaster and we are seeing the same thing. Crash after Crash after Crash. I also saw one car with two flats in the front that could not move under it's own powder, the rear tires just spun.

So, cars are unable to bump draft without it resulting in a massive pile up. If a car loses a tire it will have to be towed in. Finally no team seems to have any hint of a grasp on how to work with the new aerodynamic package. The end result is the winner is the whoever manages to make it thru all the wrecks and is still moving at the end of the race.

Basically what we have now is a Crap Shoot. They may as well save all that gasoline that is being wasted and have the drivers sitting at a table throwing dice.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
They may as well save all that gasoline that is being wasted and have the drivers sitting at a table throwing dice.
Do not underestimate how much NASCAR is in bed with the gambling industry.

Somewhat in their defense, they appear to be torn by a desire to appeal to their long-time fans, and not losing Gen Xers and Millenials by chasing "socially relevancy." This has led to a situation where the sport has become both boring and frustrating. How can you be a "good old boy" and a "social justice warrior" at the same time?

Posts: 6473 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
NASCRAP is going the way of the WWF/WWE, WOOOOOO!!!!

Posts: 5320 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
Nascar has lost myself and all of the long time fans that I know. The new car had nothing to do with that either.

Posts: 18034 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Bumping" of race cars going 200 mph is something that should never have been permitted in the first place.

NASCAR is 1960's technology. It sorta made sense when you actually had to field stock bodies with some aero add-ons. Now the body has little relation to the production car. When the big 2 door coupes all died off, they kept the NASCAR body proportions the same and named them after sedans. There used to be this idea of "win on Sunday, sell on Monday" when the race cars were actually similar to production cars, but now it's just kind of silly that they pretend there is anything in common with a production car.

Yes NASCAR had to get its act together after Dale was killed and they have improved a lot. But it's still a heavy welded steel tube frame car with a carbureted V8 and terrible aerodynamics with respect to downforce. They have to do a lot just to keep them on the ground because the body shape creates aerodynamic lift.

Posts: 4718 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I stepped away when they stopped racing stock cars.

“David Pearson passed me smoking a cigarette in turn two!” Richard Petty.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:
I stepped away when they stopped racing stock cars.

“David Pearson passed me smoking a cigarette in turn two!” Richard Petty.

This. I gave up on NASCAR 15 years ago.

Posts: 954 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
Things happen quickly at 190 MPH. They always have.

If NASCAR was predictable it would be as boring as F1.

Posts: 5138 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
"Well we changed the part, but not the part number.
The nose we gave you to put on your car is illegal so you can't race this weekend."

Was when I stopped going to the website or keep up with it much.

"It was a straight up noose... hanging right over my car"

Was when I stopped watching altogether.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorSolo:

NASCAR does a lot to "manage" the competition, especially using "debris on the field" yellows to prevent anyone from getting a full lap lead. A guy who used to work for me was a volunteer track monitor at the Indy Speedway and during the Brickyard, when he reported a location with debris, they would hold off on the yellow until they "needed it".

When they changed the rules to prevent a race finish under yellow and went to the final laps showdown after the green, it just got sillier.

Posts: 4718 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorSolo:

NASCAR does a lot to "manage" the competition, especially using "debris on the field" yellows to prevent anyone from getting a full lap lead. A guy who used to work for me was a volunteer track monitor at the Indy Speedway and during the Brickyard, when he reported a location with debris, they would hold off on the yellow until they "needed it".

When they changed the rules to prevent a race finish under yellow and went to the final laps showdown after the green, it just got sillier.

Well debris on the track is a safety issue, and thanks for the singular allegorical data point, which may illustrate how things were done at one facility god-knows how many years ago.

All racing sanctioning bodies manage competition, as you put it. Some ways are worse than others, but NASCAR has not done it in ways which make it unwatchable, which is what any appearance of favoritism would do. The fast guys still win, and wins are hard-fought.

Today's race was a good time, except for Larson pulling a dick move on Elliot. Should be fun to see the other shoe drop in a week or two.

Posts: 5138 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
It died with Davey Allison and Alan Kulwicki.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
It died with Davey Allison and Alan Kulwicki.

Oh OK, everyone sucks now. Bunch of pansies. Heroics and grit are no longer in existence. Thanks for letting the rest of us know!

posted Hide Post
We had Dale Sr.'s Orange Wheaties car at our factory for a day when General Mills sponsored it. Back then the hood, roof and trunk lid had to come from the manufacturer. There also had to be a VIN plate on the car provided by the factory in order to be legal to race. I looked and saw it. Those days are long gone.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2890 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
I actually forgot to watch/record the race today. So, apparently, I missed a demolition derby and a something akin to a race broke out.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
Kinda like, “I went to the fights and a hockey game broke out.”? I dumped NASCAR several years after Rusty Wallace retired.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They had some NASCAR fans where I worked . One of my fellow Foremen was a big Chevrolet guy . I pulled for the Toyotas just to piss him off . He said they shouldn't be allowed to run because they weren't American . I used to rag on him all the time about nothing on that car was Chevrolet except for the vinyl stickers that said so .

Posts: 4056 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
Seemed there were a LOT of tire blow-outs this race. There had to be at least a dozen or so, where the car's tires simply blew, sending them spinning out. We joked that after the first stage, they stopped mentioning how the drivers would "get a new set of GOODYEAR tires" at their pit stops. . .

I mean, that is LOUSY advertising for Goodyear. Sure, I want THOSE tires on my SUV so I can spin out like the pros. . . Big Grin

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21845 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can watch a bit of NASCAR these days but not much. A few years back I came to the realization that if the NASCAR drivers were in open wheel cars they'd kill themselves and ten other drivers. Pretty much a yellow flag yawn fest for me now.

Posts: 7551 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
I can watch a bit of NASCAR these days but not much. A few years back I came to the realization that if the NASCAR drivers were in open wheel cars they'd kill themselves and ten other drivers. Pretty much a yellow flag yawn fest for me now.

A bit like Jimmie Johnson is now?

Since the late 80's when I've been around, NASCAR has always been ran more like pro wrestling except they usually don't care who wins. Plate races have never really been races, just Demo Derbys for the rich

Posts: 4173 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post