SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tire Discussion: Ultra High Performance All Season Tires
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tire Discussion: Ultra High Performance All Season Tires Login/Join 
Picture of Speedbird
posted Hide Post
I put top of the line Continental DWS on my 2013 Golf at ~85k miles; replacing the well worn OEM high mileage tires...

They were awesome EXCEPT they exaggerated how worn my suspension/struts were. It was crazy how night and day the perceived ride was. If I didn't do the VW buy-back a few months later I would have needed to shell out $2k +/- for a suspension refresh.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Speedbird,

Posts: 522 | Location: Fort Couch (VA) | Registered: December 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I’ve run the Conti DWS line of tire since, around 2008/2009. It was just the DWS, that was on my hatch STI. Then the DWS06 on MY2017 Focus RS. Now I have the DWS06+ on my GRC CE. Phenomenal tires. They shed rain like no other, handle pretty well for snow (ain’t a Blizzak however), and for a year round tire, they are tough to beat. 15-16 years on them now and I use them as a winter tire down here in the South switching to summers in April/May. I used them all winter, cornering in freezing temps, and in the rain.

Memorial Day and July 4th are the sales. Conti will usually offer a $100 prepaid visa with a purchase of 4 and if you get lucky DT will have the same offer so you can combo meal to get $200 off. I’m watching the deals as I use Conti Pure Contact LS on my DD and I’m due for a new set.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12796 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
From what I’ve seen, you should expect the same wear from those. What range were you expecting to realize?

If you haven’t driven on cheap ass tires lately, I suspect you’ll only buy one set of something like the Westlake.

I was hoping to get closer to 40k. Maybe instead of a high performance all season, I might try a grand touring all season like the crossclimate2

or just a standard touring tire like the defender2.

the pirelli scorpion AS plus 3 looks good too.

That might get me better mileage. I really only want to buy one more set for this car because I usually get rid of my cars before 100k. I rarely drive the car to the limit so I don't really need the performance. It's my grandpa car for driving my grandkids around or my dog.

never mind, the defender2 is an XL tire so I will get that over the Pirelli which is an SL tire.

So thanks for the warning about the Westlake. I'll try the Defender2 next. Should last the rest of the time I have the car since I probably have two more seasons on the winter setup.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8101 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More light than heat
Picture of Milliron
posted Hide Post
I just popped Michelin Pilot Sport 4S summers on my IS500 and would buy the AS’s in a heartbeat if I wanted all-seasons. The 4S have been fantastic.

"Age does not bring wisdom. Often it merely changes simple stupidity into arrogant conceit. It's only advantage, so far as I have been able to see, is that it spans change. A young person sees the world as a still picture, immutable. An old person has had his nose rubbed in changes and more changes and still more changes so many times that that he knows it is a moving picture, forever changing. He may not like it--probably doesn't; I don't--but he knows it's so, and knowing is the first step in coping with it."

Robert Heinlein

Posts: 8830 | Location: West Chester, Ohio | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oregon
posted Hide Post
I don't put all seasons on my car anymore. However, if we're talking brands, Michelin has treated me right. I'm on my second set of Pilot sport 4S. Fantastic tire.

"Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?"
-Dr. Thaddeus Venture

Posts: 6099 | Location: PDX | Registered: May 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
Why would you buy UHP tires, and worry about longevity - and also, why on a CX-30?

These aren't Summer Tires I'm putting on. This category is about getting the most grip in all conditions including snow and have up to 50,000 mile warranties on them. As for why the car, it's got a 310 ft/lb Turbo engine and I want more grip.

Here's what I know about tires when I was reading up on them. It's all a trade-off. Grip and longevity are inversely correlated in that they don't go together. I went for max longevity one time and it was the hardest ride plus it was easy to slide on wet roads.

All season also means a compromise if you're in an extreme weather location. Although I do like all season myself as where I am are not too extreme either way plus I wouldn't want to be switching between winter and summer tires.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19869 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I think that an UHPAS is overkill on that vehicle and you’re not going to gain the performance you think you are from the tire.

I’d go with the CrossClimate2
Put those on my Mom’s turbo Equinox and my buddy has them on his Audi SQ5.
They’ll handle as good as what the CX30 can give it on the road.
If you’re doing auto cross or something probably not.
They are a touch noisier than one is custom to from Michelin but not bad.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25583 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/michelin-crossclimate2

These cross-climate get great reviews. I bought 4 for the son’s vehicle. This was an older Honda CRV, tire reviews are great.

The big thing that I'm wondering is how much grip am I giving up. As far as the Grand Touring class, the CrossClimate2 and the Pirelli Cinturato WeatherActive seem to be the big winners of the group, but I'm wondering how much grip I'd be losing. Again, it'll still be better than the OEM crap I have now.

quote:
You could not get me to put a goodyear on a performance car.

So the saying, "They're Good for a Year!" still applies? Sad. I've also tried looking for tires made in the US, and Michelin seems to be the only consistent brand that I can get US made tires from. Everyone else seems to be made in either Mexico or Brazil while Continental likes Eastern Europe with some US production.

quote:
I suspect you know this, but expect a little faster wear from these. Again worth it IMHO, but they sure aren't some 50K tire. Looking back at a couple receipts, looks like I was getting mid 30s.

Yeah, if I can get mid 30's I'll be happy. With my driving that's about 3ish years. My main worry is getting a set like those old P Zeros I had that lasted less than 2, but those tires did get a compound refresh right around the time mine wore out.

quote:
Memorial Day and July 4th are the sales. Conti will usually offer a $100 prepaid visa with a purchase of 4 and if you get lucky DT will have the same offer so you can combo meal to get $200 off. I’m watching the deals as I use Conti Pure Contact LS on my DD and I’m due for a new set.

I'll keep that in mind. I can wait a couple of weeks to see what the Memorial Days stuff brings.

quote:
the pirelli scorpion AS plus 3 looks good too.

I had those on the "blue screen of death" Subaru Outback I got rid of. I had them for a week and they were the most comfortable tires I've ever put on a car. The problem was they made my back hurt because they had such a soft ride I couldn't feel any road detail or vibration in my seat. It was very much a 100% Me problem, but if you're looking for smooth, relaxing, with a little sport on the side, they're a damn good set of tires.

I'm starting to look more towards the Pilot Sport AS4 and the DWS06+ while keeping an eye on the P Zero AS3+. The Potenza and the Pilot Sport are about the same money before rebates while the Conti and Pirelli will save me about $160ish. If I don't do either of these, the CrossClimate2 and Pirelli WinterActive are at the top of the Grand Touring list.

Posts: 4372 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife's last Macan came new with Pirellis. Started showing a few missing chunks in the 25-28K range. My tire dealer said seen it before with them. Went with the Conti's. Noticed improved wet performance immediately which we need in S. Florida once rainy season starts. Wife's current Macan came with the Michelins but when ready for new ones I will go with the Conti's again.

Posts: 356 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I bought the Michelins for my 22" wheel set on my Tesla. They do everything better than the 20" Conti set that came on it when I purchased the vehicle, including ride comfort. I'd buy them again in a heartbeat.

We did a 1k mile road trip a week after swapping them on and I was a bit worried about the ride quality but Tesla has a shock calibration for the 22" set that was easily swapped to in the menu. Combo of a matched system and tire technology made for a nice, comfortable trip.

Posts: 3131 | Location: Loudoun VA | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Needless to say, I think I'm going to ditch Discount Tire for Sam's Club. Just about every tire has an automatic rebate that I don't have to send out for and on average about $250 cheaper.

Another interesting option through Sam's Club is that Firestone is running the same $80 off as their parent Bridgestone and they recently released the Firehawk AS V2. While it won't measure up to the Michelin or Conti at the limit (and I don't need it to), I can walk away with 4 tires installed for under $750 with install AND they come in my stupid funky OEM tire size.

Very tempting.

https://www.samsclub.com/p/fir...202.5%20Turbo%20(AWD)

Posts: 4372 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
One thing posted earlier that I agree with, wear rating or longevity has to be considered with potential less desirable factors.

Years ago I had some Hankook ‘727’ tires, lighter car. The tread lasted long with the hard rubber, but traction wasn’t great. Another issue, a little ‘feathering’ if not rotated routinely was hard to correct.

Posts: 6289 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Able to fit a wider tire??

————————————————

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
I'm likely going 225/50R18 as that opens up every tire I've looked at. I can go as wide at 235/50R18, but that's about $20 more a tire for very little difference.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Just as a heads up Sam’s and Walmart will not mount oversized tires on a vehicle.

You have to bring the wheels in off the vehicle.

————————————————

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
It's been too long to recall, but I want to say we got 40-50k out of the Pilot AS3+ on our Flex.
Wasn't driven hard & was acceptable tire wear for me.

The Potenza RE980AS on my Mercedes, were ready for replacement in about 36k but it was driven a bit harder, and being staggered widths, could only rotate L<>R

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15740 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Shouldn't be an issue as it's an 18 x 7" wheel. Those other sizes aren't +1 or require any adjustment, but I'll check it out before ordering. Anything larger would require some modification.

Picture of sigseller2000
posted Hide Post
not on your initial list, but I put Vredestein Hypertrac on the wife's Flex and #2's Acura TL AWD. They are great in wet and snow and very comfortable. Usually really good pricing as well.

Posts: 805 | Location: Chicago area | Registered: November 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Just as a heads up Sam’s and Walmart will not mount oversized tires on a vehicle.

You have to bring the wheels in off the vehicle.

It’s true they won’t mount anything but OEM sizes when you bring your vehicle in. I’d ask about warranty, rotations, and balancing. I vaguely recall losing those if you bring your wheels in.

I’m impressed you are running out of traction on your CX-30. My Focus ST is the same weight, but only front wheel drive. It’s tuned and has a bit more torque than your CX-30. I was thinking of dropping down from the Goodyear F1 Asymmetric summer tires to an all season tire because the speeds required to exceed their grip on the street are really high. I’d also like to get more tread life.

Posts: 11355 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Price, Performance and longevity.

You can have any two of the three.

In a moderately performing car like the OP’s Mazda it is not necessary to get UHP tires. It’s important to realize that no all season tire is a true performance tire. None of them are.

I’m a Michelin fan and the Cross climate might be a good choice for you.

I’m running Pilot Sport Cup 2’s on my Spyder as I want the highest performance tire I can get to maximize the Porsche’s potential but they are very expensive and I’ll be lucky to get 15K miles out of them. It’s the price you pay to play…

As someone said above an easy way to get more grip is to increase your tires width. I usually go up only 10 mm. You just want to make sure that you have room against the upper control arm. Going too wide will lower your psi to the road and could adversely affect your grip in damp/wet weather.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6421 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post