SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tire Discussion: Ultra High Performance All Season Tires
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tire Discussion: Ultra High Performance All Season Tires Login/Join 
I swear I had
something for this
posted
Folks, I'm looking at trading out the tires on my Mazda CX-30. It has the OEM Bridgestone Turanza EL440 and they're stereotypical OEM tires: Decently Comfy, Decent in the Dry, wearing at about 4/10th a year, and slides around if it gets damp.

I'm wanting to go back to the Ultra High Performance All Season tire and have narrowed it down to the Michelin Pilot Sport AS 4, the Continental DWS06+, and the Bridgestone Potenza Sport AS. The previous two tires have are in the "Oldy But Goldy" category and have quite a test date to go with them. The Bridgestone is a very new tire with not a lot of data.

No matter which tire I go with, I'm going to get an improvement in every way over my current tire. The biggest thing I'm looking for is tire longevity. I'm wanting to get about 30,000 miles out of these and wondering which way to go and I'm now at analysis paralysis.

The Pirelli P Zero AS+ 3 is also a new tire that seems to be testing well, but I've not had good luck with Pirellis lasting past 20,000 miles brand new or OEM. Goodyear also has the Eagle Exhilarate in the same category with a $100 rebate, but I haven't driven a Goodyear tire in 20 years.

Speaking of rebates, Bridgestone is at $70, Michelin is $80 thru Discount Tire, Goodyear is $100, and Pirelli is $100.

I've also thought about going the Grand Touring route with the CrossClimate2, Weatherpeak, and so on but wonder if I'm going to miss out on the fun factor. I know they'll definitely last longer than the tires I'm looking at.

What's been your experiences either with these tires or tire brands SIGForum?

Posts: 4287 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Michelin Pilot Sport AS 4

Just replaced my Pilot Sport 3's with AS 4's at Discount Tire. I have used Pilot Sports on all three AWD cars I have owned in the past 20 years.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4292 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Why would you buy UHP tires, and worry about longevity - and also, why on a CX-30?

Posts: 5761 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For my Lexus IS350, a set of DWS06+ lasted 37,000 miles and I just purchased another set of the same tires last week. The Pilots look great as well, but the Continentals seem to have a better winter traction record.

Posts: 2372 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
While popular with many, I've never been satisfied with Michelins. I haven't used them for 20+ years now. The newer models may be better but I've not had a reason to give them another chance. Likewise Pirelli.

My favorite summer tire was the Bridgestone Potenza S02/S03. Haven't used them for awhile since I switched from sporty to sedans. I used their Turanza Serenity line for awhile which were okay but found a better option.

For the past 10-15 years (maybe more), I've been using the Conti DWS line for all my sedans. They have been great - sticky and predictable, dry or wet. That being said, I'm not sure how long they will last you. I replace mine before they are completely worn as they get a little uncomfortable with hydroplaning towards the end - still great for dry, just not downpours (drizzles are okay - wet is okay, just not puddles).

The new offerings from Michelin and Pirelli sound good. I may give them a try if more reviews are positive. But the DWS really give me no reason to look either.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12792 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
Why would you buy UHP tires, and worry about longevity - and also, why on a CX-30?

These aren't Summer Tires I'm putting on. This category is about getting the most grip in all conditions including snow and have up to 50,000 mile warranties on them. As for why the car, it's got a 310 ft/lb Turbo engine and I want more grip.

quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
For the past 10-15 years (maybe more), I've been using the Conti DWS line for all my sedans. They have been great - sticky and predictable, dry or wet. That being said, I'm not sure how long they will last you.

How has the steering feel on them? I had a set of the older DWS on an Acura about 10 years ago and while they did grip, it was very much faith-based steering, and that's the main criticism of those tires I keep reading about. Mind you, it was an ILX at the very beginning of electric steering racks, but the Pirelli P Zero AS I replaced them with restored a lot of steering feel, but died a little before 20,000 miles.

I will say I do have a bias with Bridgestones due to motorsports and their record.

Posts: 4287 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
I had Potenza RE980AS on a Mazda 3 and they were fantastic. I put the Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 on my BMW 5-series and I wish I had gotten the Potenzas again. They're.....fine. But they just don't feel as locked in. I might try the Continentals next though, as the major drawback of the Potenzas was the 7-8% drop in fuel efficiency. They're sticky.

Your phrase of "faith-based steering" hit the nail on the head for the Michelins. They seem to never slip, but they feel like they could go at any time at any speed. They just....dont.

Posts: 3667 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/michelin-crossclimate2

These cross-climate get great reviews. I bought 4 for the son’s vehicle. This was an older Honda CRV, tire reviews are great.

Posts: 6212 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I ran several sets of the Conti DWS06 on several small front wheel cars and they did an excellent job in the rain and snow. They do not last the longest for mileage. All the sets I bought had a wobble or out of round feeling when they were cold. Once they had a little heat in them they were great. I have NO experience with the PLUS version you are talking about. I now run the weatherpeaks on my new accord and they did well with the mild winter we had in wisconsin this past year

Time takes time.

Posts: 85 | Registered: August 20, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I like the Michelin Defender...

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38804 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have run many sets of the Michelins on several subarus.
I have run one set of the bridgestones to end of life and have one set installed currently (5K miles).
I would have no hesitation recommending the michelins. I switched to the bridgestones solely because of price. I've had no issues with them but of course a much shorter experience.

You could not get me to put a goodyear on a performance car.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11041 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
We have the Crossclimate 2s on my wife's WRX. Great tires so far.

Posts: 4030 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Had Pilot Sport AS3+ on our Flex & they were fantastic
Had the Potenza RE980AS on my Mercedes C300 & they were good but not quite up to the AS3+

Would 100% recommend the Michelin

Was not a fan of the Continental runflats that were on my Mercedes when I bought it.

Edit to add: We got really good wear on the AS3+ on the Flex.
The Mercedes had staggered width tires & wore the Potenza quicker

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P250UA5,

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15461 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I get the idea of going to UHP tires completely. In my experience they always deliver MUCH better rain performance, and I view rain and hydroplaning as the greatest single-vehicle wreck risk personally.

The Michelin's are getting pretty good traction (HA-I slay me) on the Porsche sites for people looking for a better year-round option and not wanting to swap out summers/winters each year.

I had a couple sets of Michelin Pilot Sport AS Plus on a 2007 Infiniti in 2012-2015. Not quite as robust as the new ones, they were awesome.

I suspect you know this, but expect a little faster wear from these. Again worth it IMHO, but they sure aren't some 50K tire. Looking back at a couple receipts, looks like I was getting mid 30s.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12469 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had Pilot Sport 3's on my C7 Z06 Corvette. They worked pretty well but were a little lacking on traction if I applied the whole 650 ft. lb. of torque through the go pedal. But then again most everything is... Excellent in wet versus the summer only tires.
I recently traded for a C8 Stingray as the Z was a waste of horsepower as I don't track. This one came with the 4 series tires and so far they are a step up from the 3's. I think you will like the Michelins.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2902 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
For the past 10-15 years (maybe more), I've been using the Conti DWS line for all my sedans. They have been great - sticky and predictable, dry or wet. That being said, I'm not sure how long they will last you.

How has the steering feel on them? I had a set of the older DWS on an Acura about 10 years ago and while they did grip, it was very much faith-based steering, and that's the main criticism of those tires I keep reading about. Mind you, it was an ILX at the very beginning of electric steering racks, but the Pirelli P Zero AS I replaced them with restored a lot of steering feel, but died a little before 20,000 miles.

I will say I do have a bias with Bridgestones due to motorsports and their record.

Good question. It's been awhile but I seem to recall that the ride was a little harsher moving from the Turanza to the DWS. Perhaps stiffer sidewall? Anyway, I think I dropped pressure from 33psi (factory) to 31psi. Feels good and still very even wear. Steering feel is good. YMMV. I'm using 225/55/16 - may or may not be relevant. Also 235/40/18 (not sure, would have to check to confirm) on another car and feel is very surefooted there. Again, YMMV.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12792 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
Michelin Pilot Sport AS 4

This is what I have on my car now (bmw x2 m35i, not too powerful for a little compact uv, 332 lb-ft torque). I bought them in December of 2021. I'm not happy with longevity. Performance is fine in wet and dry. Wasn't too thrilled with it during the snow season.

I am at 29k miles on them now (only one full winter, the other winters I used my snow setup) and all tires are at 4/32 or 3/32, so they're not going to last the summer. All wearing evenly.

So if you're looking for 30k out them, you'll be fine.

I'm going to either try the Pirelli P Zero AS+ 3 next or buy some cheap westlake tires.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8050 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Conti DSW06 for me. Have a set on my 2017 Impala Premier and love them. Great in rain and snow and were a huge improvement over the factory Goodyear 245/45-19's.
34000 miles on them now and still 1/16 inch tread to wear bars. Going to replace them this late this fall b/4 winter.
The Impala isn't a small car but the sure are alot quieter and much more planted feeling than the stock tires in all weather.
Have Pilot Sport 3's on my 2001 Corvette and like them but think I would change to the Conti's if they made the correct sizes.

Posts: 255 | Location: SW,MI | Registered: July 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post

Best tires I've ever owned.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20894 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
I'm going to either try the Pirelli P Zero AS+ 3 next..

From what I’ve seen, you should expect the same wear from those. What range were you expecting to realize?

If you haven’t driven on cheap ass tires lately, I suspect you’ll only buy one set of something like the Westlake.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12469 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post