SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tire Discussion: Ultra High Performance All Season Tires
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tire Discussion: Ultra High Performance All Season Tires Login/Join 
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
It’s important to realize that no all season tire is a true performance tire. None of them are.

Perfect. I'm not looking for a true performance tire. I want a jack of all trades that can also be fun which is where this category of tire shines.

quote:
I’m running Pilot Sport Cup 2’s on my Spyder as I want the highest performance tire I can get to maximize the Porsche’s potential but they are very expensive and I’ll be lucky to get 15K miles out of them. It’s the price you pay to play…

Again, I'm not looking at summer high performance tires, and even the DWS06+ or the Pilot All Seasons would fail at running laps if pushed to 8/10ths.

quote:
I’m impressed you are running out of traction on your CX-30. My Focus ST is the same weight, but only front wheel drive. It’s tuned and has a bit more torque than your CX-30.

The OEM Turanzas still have good grip in the dry, but if it gets wet they like to slide even at low speeds.

Posts: 4371 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the offerings from Toyo in their UHP and HP All-Season tire lineup.

They were a popular with the Miata, S2000, WRX, MR2 Spyder, etc. crowd, back in the day when I was auto-x’g my Miata and folks were discussing their options for a fall/winter tire.

Posts: 3555 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
I do have to say that 90% of you folks have been fantastic in helping me figure this out, but there's 10% that seem to think if I'm looking at Bridgestone Potenzas I'm looking at these...

...when I'm actually looking at these:

There's a massive difference between the two types. The only disappointing thing is that Tire Rack almost had the perfect test, but they used the Vredestein Hypertrac All Season instead of the Michelin Pilot Sport AS 4, and just about every YouTube comment on this is wondering why.

Posts: 4371 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
A generation [or two] off. But those are the 2 I previously posted about [Potenza AS & Pilot AS]
I think either would serve you well. I went for the Potenza because at the time it was around a $300 difference, installed, on my Mercedes.

Coworker had the same car with the Pilot AS & she loved them, especially compared to the horrendous Conti runflats.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15731 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
quote:
I’m impressed you are running out of traction on your CX-30. My Focus ST is the same weight, but only front wheel drive. It’s tuned and has a bit more torque than your CX-30.

The OEM Turanzas still have good grip in the dry, but if it gets wet they like to slide even at low speeds.

The Pirelli Scorpion Zero All Seasons that came on my wife’s Explorer ST are at 27,000 miles and will probably last until 30,000. I haven’t had any traction issues with them like tour CX-50, her Explorer is AWD, but it’s 1,200lbs heavier and has over 400ft-lb of torque from the twin turbo 3.0l V6.

The tires I’ve had traction problems with wet or dry would be Michelin’s Pilot Sport A/S 3+ on a base C7 Corvette and wet would be Michelin’s Pilot Sport A/S 4 on a base C5 Corvette. And there in lies the problem with giving opinions on tires. Those cars are nothing like yours, so while I have problems with them, you may not.

Since moving to Florida, I’ve prioritized wet traction over most other tire characteristics and I have yet to find a bad set. The set on my Dodge Dakota when I moved down here in 2000 was awful. It’s the only vehicle that I ever left the road with in the rain. I have no secret, I just read the manufacturer's descriptions and other people’s reviews.

Posts: 11355 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:

Again, I'm not looking at summer high performance tires, and even the DWS06+ or the Pilot All Seasons would fail at running laps if pushed to 8/10ths.

I’ve run DWS06+ on the track for a wet/cold(winter) tire for many years. At 7 or 8/10th’s you’re good. Just won’t have the all out traction that a summer tire will have in the summer. If you’re talking about running the 06+ on the track in the 100 degree summer, then 100% agree with you.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12796 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Also remember that an OEM tire is by no means the same tire that you get aftermarket even if it is the same make and model OEM spec are almost always crap.
I have first hand experience with 2 Bridgestone OEM tires that were complete rubbish and 1 aftermarket that were only slightly better rubbish.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25582 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
If you’re talking about running the 06+ on the track in the 100 degree summer, then 100% agree with you.

Exactly.

quote:
Also remember that an OEM tire is by no means the same tire that you get aftermarket even if it is the same make and model OEM spec are almost always crap.

Yep, although I'm sure this Turanza is crap from beginning to end. They're also more expensive as well. Here's another video I found on the subject:

Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
I've had the Michelin AS/3+ and the AS4 all seasons. They seem awesome for the first 10K miles - super grippy but after a while they don't seem to grip well (my front tires just spin if I get on it in first/second), and they both wore out before the warranty. Switched to Continental SRS+ (Discount Tire's version of the DW06+) this time around (just a 100 miles or so ago). Will see how they fare. So far the ride seems less harsh. I can't speak on use in the snow, as I haven't seen any in many years.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2277 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DonDraper:
I've had the Michelin AS/3+ and the AS4 all seasons. They seem awesome for the first 10K miles - super grippy but after a while they don't seem to grip well (my front tires just spin if I get on it in first/second), and they both wore out before the warranty. Switched to Continental SRS+ (Discount Tire's version of the DW06+) this time around (just a 100 miles or so ago). Will see how they fare. So far the ride seems less harsh. I can't speak on use in the snow, as I haven't seen any in many years.

What car do you have them on?
I never found the AS3+ to be slippy after some wear. This was on a FWD Ford Flex. Even at WOT merging into traffic.
Best tire I've had on any of my cars.
Houston summers & torrential downpours, Vegas heat, Flagstaff light snow. Never had a problem.

If I weren't planning on selling my Explorer it would likely get a set of AS4 to replace the Pirellis.

Posts: 15731 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:

What car do you have them on?
I never found the AS3+ to be slippy after some wear. This was on a FWD Ford Flex. Even at WOT merging into traffic.
Best tire I've had on any of my cars.
Houston summers & torrential downpours, Vegas heat, Flagstaff light snow. Never had a problem.

If I weren't planning on selling my Explorer it would likely get a set of AS4 to replace the Pirellis.

A 2016 VW Golf GTI with just under 300HP at the wheels. 235/40/18's

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2277 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
^^^Same size as my Focus. I haven’t noticed a loss wet traction based on wear with the GoodYear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2s. I wonder if that has to do with siping. The Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2s don’t have any while most UHP all season tires do.

Some things happen to the siping as the tread wears down. First, the biting edge of the siping rounds over on the drive wheels. Frequent rotation helps minimize that but, not all vehicles allow for rotation. Second, as the tread blocks get shorter they don’t flex as much so, the less of the edge of the sipes are exposed. Third, not all sipes are full tread depth so, the sipes are eventually gone and the tire is relying on tread compound at that point.

Just a thought.

Posts: 11355 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Well, the first Memorial Day domino has dropped and Goodyear is in the lead. $100 instant savings on Goodyear.com that also says in the fine print that it also works with the current $100 rebate with an additional $100 off if you use the Goodyear credit card along with 6 months no interest. Unless something else drops by Sunday or Monday, I might go this way be default.

Unlike the Firestones I mentioned earlier, this Goodyear was tested against the heavy hitting brands instead of the 2nd tier brands.

Good thing I waited.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
It's been years, but my aunt had Goodyear Eagle F1 [all season, I think] on her 1st gen IS300. Excellent tire for that car at the time.
Blast of a car, too. 5mt, non-turbo 2JZ sedan Cool

For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Goodyear

If you get the Exhilarate, let us know how you like them after a bit. The rebate is good till June 30th. The Exhilarate is one of the tires I'm looking at. I still have a bit of time. Trying to see what else pops up sale wise for Memorial Day or Father's Day.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8101 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I’m not sure how it happened because 10 years ago I didn’t own any GoodYear tires but, now I have five sets of GoodYears. More remarkable is that on three different vehicles, I’ve replaced the Goodyears on each vehicle with another set of the same GoodYears. I would have put a third set of the GoodYear Wranglers w/Kevlar on my truck, but the prices on them have risen so much that the GoodYear DuraTracs weren’t much more.

The 5th wheel and boat trailer were easy choices after losing the china bombs both came with in under 1,000 miles. The USA made GoodYear tires have provided tens of thousands of trouble free miles on both trailers.

My second most owned brand of tires is Michelin, but I’ve never replaced a set of them with another set. I’ve also owned one set of Pirellis, Coopers, Dunlops, BFGoodrichs, Toyos, Continentals, Yokahamas, Hankooks and probably some others

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Kumho on the Midget [limited choices in 13" size], Pirelli on my Explorer [OE] & Michelin on the wife's Expedition Max, on my small fleet.

Have had good luck with Kumho tires on a budget, Yokohama too.

Speaks Bendablese
posted Hide Post
quote:

A 2016 VW Golf GTI with just under 300HP at the wheels. 235/40/18's

If I may... 300 whp, front wheel drive with potentially a LSD or likely brake-based torque vectoring, on a 235 section width all-season tire. I don't think the brand or model of tire matters much.

Posts: 287 | Location: MD | Registered: September 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Goodyear maybe out of the running as I applied for the Goodyear card and the website said:

"We're processing your application and we'll contact you with our decision in a few weeks.[/quote]

If they get back to me before Saturday, they're still in the game. Goodyear also has a program where if you buy from them, they will come out to wherever you are and install your tires "usually" within 1 business day which is very cool.

Discount Tire has also dropped the Exhilarate in my size down from $191 to $162 a tire. Goodyear.com says they'll price match if I give them the link and if they're in stock. They really seem like they want to sell some tires for Memorial Day.

As far as the Exhilarate, it's one of the oldest tires in this category, but all the tests I've seen match the Michelin Pilot All Season 4 in the Dry and Wet, but is a step or two behind in the snow.

As far as other deals go, Discount Tire has $60 instant savings on the Michelins in my size, but don't qualify for the $80 off because the tire price for 4 does not exceed $900 before installation and stuff. Bridgestone is $70 off by rebate ($100 total if you use their credit card). Pirelli is $100 off by rebate on any P Zero tire so the Cinturato WeatherActive tire that's the CrossClimate2 competitor would not work. Continental has a $110 rebate on a single summer tire and $80 instant savings on the Discount Tire versions of their stuff, but not in my size.

The other thing about Discount Tire is if you use their credit card and your total is over $1,000 you'll get 9 months no interest instead of 6 months. Right now, the Michelin, Bridgestone, and Pirelli would still qualify while everyone else would be in the $800-$995 range.

Set out once to become the world's greatest procrastinator, but never got around to it
Picture of Fdan
posted Hide Post
Consider Vredestein all season tires. Made in The Netherlands, highly rated, reasonably priced.

My son put a set on his Mini and has nothing but positive comments

Posts: 1992 | Location: Southern California | Registered: January 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post