SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Temporary storage of guns and ammo
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Temporary storage of guns and ammo Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
Were those long enough for longer milsurps? And how did they hold up to the weight of rifles?

They weren't quite long enough for my longest milsurps, but worked well for most of the shorter milsurps, as well as for modern rifles.

The totes are roughly 40" long internally, but you can fit a few rifles that are a little bit longer (up to ~44ish inches, like a K98k or M1903) if you stick them in diagonally.

I got enough of them so that I didn't have to really load down each tote. I had maybe 10-12 long guns in each one, plus towels, sheets, and blankets around my more valuable rifles for protection from bumps. They're not all that sturdy, so probably wouldn't hold up very long to being moved around with a huge amount of weight in them. But that moderate amount of weight worked fine, especially just for a trip to storage and then a trip to the new house.

Once I got them unpacked in my new house, I used the totes for storage of various things like tools and seasonal clothing, and even use one as my recycling bin.

Posts: 32557 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Is a small POD unit out of the question? Besides being at your doorstep, are they really that insecure? I'd wonder about a temporary POD with a decent pick up bed tool/storage vault added inside for the really good stuff. I've got an old surplussed logger tool box that's virtually indestructible in itself, from an auction I paid $5 for the unit. It's been water tight in various locations about my place, looks innocuous, and continues to serve whatever purpose I assign it, now over nearly 15 years.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9856 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
My sister moved with a POD a year ago. The POD door was secured with a padlock, which bolt cutters would make short work of.

Posts: 6179 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Perhaps one of these on a POD would work.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A Pod only keeps honest people out . It's flimsy and not designed to be secure in a non secure area .

Posts: 4069 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Many storage places have camera surveillance. I would just put them in there and I wouldn't care about the policy.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12658 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Good friend or family is my recommendation. I'm still homing a Thompson for my Navy buddy.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7081 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post