SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Temporary storage of guns and ammo
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Temporary storage of guns and ammo Login/Join 
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted
We are selling our home and because we haven't found anything we like enough to buy, we are going to be temporarily leasing a place.

Not sure what to do with all my guns and ammo. I don't have any secure storage in the new place and it's a lot smaller than the house I'm leaving. I don't want to leave a bunch of pistols and rifles stacked in a closet.

We're storing a bunch of stuff in self-storage, but those places typically don't allow storage of firearms and ammo.

Has anyone else dealt with this problem?

Posts: 6065 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
I'd look to a family member (if you have one) or very good friend who would offer you temporary storage. I have several people I could turn to for that favor if the need ever arose.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
bigdeal's idea was what I thought about first. Thinking outside the box and for highest security but probably least control, maybe a local gun dealer/shop or maybe even a pawn shop (if highly reputable) would be willing to act as a gun and ammo sitter.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
We're storing a bunch of stuff in self-storage, but those places typically don't allow storage of firearms and ammo.

When I was selling my house and buying a new one last year, I stored my guns and ammo in a climate-controlled storage unit for a brief period. The storage place I used had no prohibition against that. (Whereas my moving company's contract specifically stated that they wouldn't move guns or ammo.)

So the first step would be to check with the self storage place(s). Don't just assume that it isn't allowed.

If you can put it in self storage, look into some large, nondescript, rolling totes. I used these from Lowes: https://www.lowes.com/pd/COMMA...ching-Lid/1000421927

With the guns spread out amongst several of those, plus some rifle-length cardboard boxes that I had left over, and ammo in metal ammo cans with all my usual magnetic caliber labels removed, it wasn't glaringly obvious that I was loading/unloading a bunch of guns and ammo.

I moved everything into the unit piecemeal over a few week period in small loads using my vehicle and a buddy's truck, and then rented a small Uhaul when it came time to get everything out and into my new house, so I could do it in one fell swoop. And had a few friends along to help carry and load, and watch my six.

Posts: 32553 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can't help with the ammo but look at a reputable pawn shop. My nephew runs one and they have people that have high end firearms and will come in and "pawn" them and make the payments every month. Then when hunting season comes around they pay them out. Its an arrangement they have. Its a far lower than normal payment and some pay up front.

Posts: 207 | Location: Baconton,GA. | Registered: April 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
If you put them in a storage unit make sure it’s an indoor one with some security. The plain outdoor ones are too easy to break into.

Posts: 1519 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
Handguns don’t take up much space, so I’d probably keep those with me. If you don’t have one already, put a monitored alarm on the new place, even if it’s temporary. Personally I think an alarm is more important than a safe, as safes can all be opened with enough time.

For the long guns, if you don’t have room, see if you can pay a reputable gun store to clean them and hold them for a while, or you could literally just pay for cleaning and it might take them a couple of months to be done.

As for ammo, and maybe some guns, I’d strongly consider selling at current market rates and buying back later. No guarantees, but I’d wager prices will be lower in a year or two- maybe sooner.

Posts: 3440 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
We moved and had a three month gap before the new house would be done. I rented a storage place and stowed all my ammo (in ammo cans) against the wall as you entered the door. They never told me I couldn’t store ammo and I didn’t ask.

The guns and safe went with us into the temp house. Parked it right in the living room for three months.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11303 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Maybe buy a safe and have it moved once you get established in a new home?

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cooger:
If you put them in a storage unit make sure it’s an indoor one with some security. The plain outdoor ones are too easy to break into.

I agree. We rented a space inside a building. they said it was temperature controlled.

As the OP already knows, self-storage facilities do NOT allow storage of firearms and ammo. I have no advice as to where he can store those. But self-storage places are great places to store personal belongings such as clothes, tools, hardware, and hobby stuff like model airplanes and knitting implements. To help orgarnize, I use the bank boxes available at Costco and label them with indelible ink over Blue Tape. For delicate model airplanes that I don't want the container being opened accidentally, I use a shipping box and tape it all around. Another pro-tip is I found nails to be quite heavy, so you have to use shorter flat boxes so as not to load them too heavy and also tape those all around. I found it helpful to label them on the outside using code like N for Nine inch nails and FF for 4.5 inch nails.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19707 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
We keep a safe, inside a gun shop. The ATF had some kind of reg about just storing them with the general inventory.

The pawn shop is a good idea. I know some shops in Houston used to offer a store service.

Posts: 5747 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I can't tell you how many safes full of guns I set up in self storage facilities. Policy or not, nobody has ever been out there verifying what is going inside.

We even had a local class 3 holder that passed leaving thousands of guns in his estate. Guess where they all went....fully automatics and all.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15729 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
A bunch of units, including mine, at the self-storage facility near me were broken into and a lot of stuff stolen.

Fortunately, I did not have any firearms there.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30729 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
A friend, now deceased, had his guns in a "safe" in a storage facility. He then called it his garage sale after all the family guns walked. Little choice but to accept the insurance money, but it was an unhappy time.

In my situation, I had 2 safes in the basement. We had them demo the old house and build the new one. Lucky for me it was 11 years ago and no one was building. The guns and the safes each went to a son. The younger son stored the ammo. We moved the guns and ammo to the new house upon completion. It was an advantage because back then, no one was building. I left the safes where they were. Son's needed them more than me. Younger son had a back problem and managed to move the ammo up to his garage. I backed up to the ammo and put it in the jeep. Drove it home and around back to the burglars entrance.

I built a "cart" out of a 4 wheel dolly and a piece of plywood. From the jeep to the dolly to the new safe. Good luck breaking into it. The guard (me) lives upstairs. When they were pouring the foundation, the boss guy asked what it was for, so I told him. He did me a favor and put in triple ribar. Good luck getting through the concrete and the steel. I'm not saying it can't be done, but most crooks just don't want to work that hard. I know I don't.

I know an easy way to get into it, but I'm not telling.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18389 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JD DRIVER:
Can't help with the ammo but look at a reputable pawn shop. My nephew runs one and they have people that have high end firearms and will come in and "pawn" them and make the payments every month. Then when hunting season comes around they pay them out. Its an arrangement they have. Its a far lower than normal payment and some pay up front.

My question now would be if you have to pass a background check to claim your guns. In this state that would be a yes. And that's like $20 now.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10911 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I had a work friend going through divorce. I stored his guns for almost two years, as a bonus I cleaned & oiled them.

When all was done he got them back.

Posts: 6176 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Theres a lady who is setting up a network of FFLs to safely store firearms for people temporarily struggling with their mental health. I dont remember the name off hand but it seems safe storage for a set period is within a FFLs wheelhouse.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
You may try Wayne Berquist on Shirley St in Naples. If he doesn’t store them he can get you pointed in the right direction

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1089 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
If you can put it in self storage, look into some large, nondescript, rolling totes. I used these from Lowes: https://www.lowes.com/pd/COMMA...ching-Lid/1000421927

Were those long enough for longer milsurps? And how did they hold up to the weight of rifles?

Posts: 9981 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies and info. I don't have any family close by and no friends that I could ask to take the quantity of stuff I have. I'll look into the pawn shop option and I'll also call Mr. Berquist for his thoughts.

Posts: 6065 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post