SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Are there still little airports like in the show Wings? Were there ever?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are there still little airports like in the show Wings? Were there ever? Login/Join 
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
I live a couple hours from you in Lexington on I-64 near Huntington. And, I fly.
Two or three you may want to check out, Black92LX:
-Portsmouth, Ohio airport KPMH has a nice restaurant. Many GA pilots in the area fly there for weekend breakfast.
-Parkersburg, WV airport KPKB has a nice restaurant. We flew up for lunch there, last summer. Recommend.
-Athens, OH airport KUNI doesn’t have an on-field restaurant , but a nice one (Ray’s Harvest House) is just a couple miles away. The airport, however, does have fresh local McHappy’s donuts on site, every day. Same thing.

Posts: 3807 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I used to travel to Lafayette, Louisiana from time to time, and even though the terminal was probably from the '70s or '80s, it had that small, cozy feel. There were three gates, and when I went in and out of there, one was not in use. This was in the early 2000s, and I think the Embraer jets were the biggest planes that went in and out. I often flew in on that Fokker high wing commuter turboprop. There may have been a sandwich counter in there, but not even a restaurant.

They built a new terminal within the last few years, and I think it gets a lot more use, and handles bigger planes now. I haven't flown there in many years.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Depending on where you are in Kentucky, Robert Newlon Airport in Huntington WV may be a good fit. There is a good little diner there. It's home to a skydiving club if I remember correctly.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16190 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Any on airport restaurants named "Auger Inn?"

Posts: 7461 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
Depending on where you are in Kentucky, Robert Newlon Airport in Huntington WV may be a good fit. There is a good little diner there. It's home to a skydiving club if I remember correctly.

Fly-In Café is at Newlon, 5 miles from my house.
I didn’t include it in my post because it is a short grass runway that takes some skill to land upon. You are correct about the skydivers. Live music on the weekend as well.
Otherwise … great place.

Posts: 3807 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I've never seen the show, but Pelston has a nice airport. Pictures in the link. Link

Posts: 10974 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is a list from AOPA, been years since I have done the $100 hamburger run.

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-...rby-restaurant-guide

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fun times and great, friendly folks here, just south of Atlanta, at PeachState Aerodrome, near Griffin, GA.

https://www.peachstateaero.com/

Posts: 591 | Registered: December 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth we have this here in Kennesaw, GA : Chop House & Elevation Bar

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8856 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a little airport in Fort Pierce, the T.C.I.A.-Treasure Coast International Airport and I am amazed at how many celebrities we get here. While it is not on an island like on Wings, it is a neat place. Unfortunately, it will be forever linked to 9/11/01.

Posts: 6893 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:

We have a little airport in Fort Pierce, the T.C.I.A.-Treasure Coast International Airport and I am amazed at how many celebrities we get here.
I haven't been there for a while, but we always used Fort Pierce as Airport Of Entry, to clear Customs & Immigration when we returned from The Bahamas. The airport's convenience for that, and absence of landing fee, might explain some of the celebrities that you see there.

There were always a couple guys with a tractor, just on the other side of the painted line that designated the border of the Customs ramp, waiting for us to come out of customs so they could hook up a tow bar and pull us over to their ramp for a fuel fill-up (WAY cheaper there, than in The Bahamas). We would usually grab a grouper sandwich or a burger at the Airport Tiki café before continuing on home.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30702 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
PDK Peachtree Dekalb has several little restaurant/lounges. One being the Downwind and the other 57th Fighter Group.

I love taking my kids to eat on the patio at the 57th and watch planes take off and land. Everything from open cockpit biplanes to Gulfstream PJs.

In Atlanta there is also Charlie Brown (FTY), Cobb County McCollum Field (RYY), Paulding NW (PUJ), and Gwinnett (LZU.) Probably some others.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10492 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oregon:
The Pendleton regional airport here in Oregon has a little cafe called Elvis's Cafe.

It has grown recently with a bunch of commercial UAS stuff, but the cafe is the same as the first time I ate there.

flew in and out of there multiple times heading to La Grande

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6234 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post