SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Will you eat clean Meat??? Missouri's answer pg3
Page 1 2 3 4 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Will you eat clean Meat??? Missouri's answer pg3 Login/Join 
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted
Clean Meat = Meat grown in a lab from meat T-cells

British Prime Minister Winston Churchill predicted the advent of clean meat in 1932.
"We shall escape the absurdity of growing a whole chicken in order to eat the breast or wing, by growing these parts separately under a suitable medium," Churchill wrote. Eighty-six years later, his dream is growing closer to reality.

(CNN)The latest craze in the food industry, in vitro or "clean" meat, is produced by extracting stem cells from animals and then growing and multiplying those cells in a lab to create a piece of meat.
The cells "start to divide and start to form new muscle tissues. ... (We) let them proliferate until we have trillions of cells," explained Dr. Mark Post, CEO of Mosa Meats, one of the earliest creators of clean meat. The process of making a hamburger patty takes about nine weeks.
It's the same technology that's being utilized in the medical field to repair organs. said Dr. Uma Valeti, CEO of another clean meat manufacturer, Memphis Meats. "At my own cardiology practice, I used stem cells in a clinical study to repair damaged heart muscle," he said.

Bill Gates, Richard Branson and others are investing $17 million in the in vitro meat company Memphis Meats, which produces laboratory-grown meat for meatballs and other products.
Bill Gates, Richard Branson and others are investing $17 million in the in vitro meat company Memphis Meats, which produces laboratory-grown meat for meatballs and other products.
But how does it taste?
To achieve public acceptance, industry leaders agree, in vitro meat must taste the same as, if not better than, conventional meat. Bruce Friedrich, co-author with Kathy Freston of "Clean Protein: The Revolution That Will Reshape Your Body," has tried chicken and duck from Memphis Meats and concludes that these products "both look and taste identical" to traditional meat.
Paul Shapiro, author of "Clean Meat: How Growing Meat Without Animals Will Revolutionize Dinner and the World," has tried clean meat versions of beef, duck, fish, foie gras and chorizo and said they "taste like meat because they are meat."
How test-tube meat could be the future of food
How test-tube meat could be the future of food
Friedrich, who is also the CEO of the Good Food Institute, a nonprofit focused on supporting the clean meat and plant-based alternative industries, wants the public to know that although it is grown in a completely different way, this is the "exact same meat."
Josh Tetrick, CEO of clean meat manufacturer JUST, emphasizes the importance of taste in the success of these products. Clean meat "will be a complete fantasy if (we) cannot bring the full sensory experience to bear," including color, texture, smell, elasticity, how the meat thaws and shelf life.
Read much more at the full article:+++LINK+++

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Fla. Jim,

Posts: 4413 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Report This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
Depends on the taste.
I really do not care if it breathed. In today's world I think the chance to ingest poison from a outdoor animal is high. Maybe this is the answer.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Report This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Haveme1or2:
Maybe this is the answer.
or maybe eating causes mutations in person eating it which leads to cancer, zombie apocalypse, etc.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23319 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
But is it Kosher? Serious question. I have my doubts.

Posts: 17152 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Report This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Assuming they are doing their stuff right, the cells won't know if they are in a pig/cow/chicken or in a factory. There would be no difference in end result, except they wouldn't need to kill and process an animal, so no by-products (blood/bone meal fertilizer, etc.)

I suspect we would get introduced to this first by its being mixed in as a fraction of the meat ground up in making hot dogs, hamburgers, sausages, etc.

Posts: 15037 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Report This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
soylent green is people.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Report This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
If it gets regulated the way biological pharmaceuticals do then it will never be cost effective. The cost of contamination control alone would make it impossible to afford. But if they can control fat to muscle ratio it could be really gourmet.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12451 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Over time they've been so wrong on nutrition there's little chance they can properly reproduce what nature creates.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13409 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
But is it Kosher? Serious question. I have my doubts.

By definition I don't think it can be, as it wouldn't be slaughtered at all, let alone in a kosher manner.

----------
The first 100 people to make it out alive...get to live.

Posts: 1277 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: April 16, 2012Report This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I damn sure will not eat test tube meatlike substance.

Posts: 26945 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Report This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fla. Jim:
British Prime Minister Winston Churchill predicted the advent of clean meat in 1932.
"We shall escape the absurdity of growing a whole chicken in order to eat the breast or wing, by growing these parts separately under a suitable medium," Churchill wrote.

Any verification of this quote? I can't imagine that he would have been that clairvoyant 90 years ago when penicillin had just been discovered and nearly 20 years before Francis Crick made his discovery.

Posts: 20131 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Report This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
I suspect we would get introduced to this first by its being mixed in as a fraction of the meat ground up in making hot dogs, hamburgers, sausages, etc.
add all you can eat buffets

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23319 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Report This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
I damn sure will not eat test tube meatlike substance.

We eat meatlike substances now. Hot dogs, chicken nuggets, McDonalds …

Posts: 28008 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Report This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Can I still shoot it first?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30433 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Almost all of the red meat I eat is deer I hunt myself, and from start to finish, costs me about $1.30- $1.40 a pound. I seriously doubt I’ll be eating test tube meat instead.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15626 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Report This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I wonder if it will take the place of the current artificial crab meat.

Posts: 3391 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Report This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
If it's safe, not unhealthy and tastes good, sure, why not.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16536 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Report This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I eat McRib's, of course I'll give it a try. Smile

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36845 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Report This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by Fla. Jim:
"We shall escape the absurdity of growing a whole chicken in order to eat the breast or wing, by growing these parts separately under a suitable medium," Churchill wrote.

Any verification of this quote? I can't imagine that he would have been that clairvoyant 90 years ago when penicillin had just been discovered and nearly 20 years before Francis Crick made his discovery.

Found this: ++Link++ The quote was at the end of the article posted.

Posts: 4413 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Report This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
It could actually be better than current meat. It wouldn't need all the antibiotics and growth hormones, etc and you could control the quality to have a much more uniform and repeatable product. It would be like fresh natural truly organic meat with no animal to feed, treat inhumane, transport, slaughter, process, etc. And no more cow farts to ruin the ozone!

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10731 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Report This Post