SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Clapton: Layla
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Clapton: Layla Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
I have not read or can I say I know a lot about Eric's life. Just some of the major events. I like him, his music. Seem's like a good guy. Maybe a little of Clint Eastwood of music in him. Enjoy.

I regret never getting to see him live.

Merry Christmas Eric.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BMT0L714S8

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19205 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steyn
posted Hide Post
Great playing, but gosh, I hate his wimpy Stratocaster tone of the 90’s.

Posts: 389 | Registered: October 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These days in concert he plays the acoustic version....which is nice in its own right, but I want the electric version with the long outro.

Posts: 993 | Location: Northwest NJ | Registered: May 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of papaac
posted Hide Post
We have a cat that we named Layla after hearing his acoustic version.

"Among a people generally corrupt, liberty cannot long exist." Edmund Burke

Posts: 4974 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: August 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
When I saw Clapton live at the Capitol One Arena (the tears in heaven tour, I think), he played both the acoustic and electric versions, the first in the main part of the show, the second as an encore. Great show, even though the arena is not the best venue for music.

Posts: 6490 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like Clapton's style of playing. He has always been my favorite guitarist. My ultimate concert going experience was seeing Cream in 1968 in Baltimore on their Fair Well tour. I loved the extended psychedelic guitar solos of that period.

Posts: 794 | Location: York Pa. | Registered: January 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
If only we had an area here like the LAIR. Frown

Eric Clapton has a new Album (as we used to call them)

Lady In The Balcony

It's good and in multiple formats.

So much good stuff by him beyond Layla. Cool

Posts: 22927 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
He is a tremendous guitar player as well. I believe the Beatles were going to approach him when George talked about leaving the group. Nickname - Slowhand.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4234 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
If only we had an area here like the LAIR. Frown

If only, but The Lounge be kinda like...

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite versions:

Love Mark's solo.

Posts: 11362 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Saw him Live several times around the Slowhand album era.

In one of his venues, he announced Layla and the crowd went wild, then played a different song. Kept doing it this till the end of the show.

No Layla for us that night. How can i ever forget?

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12128 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Have only seen him live once. It was the culmination of 45+ years as a fan.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3763 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recommend the documentary film about him that is currently available on Showtime. The man certainly has had his ups and downs. It is said that he has been sober now for over 30 years. I hope it is true.

I saw him in 1974 during the tour to support his second solo album. I did not like the show but I was not prepared for the singer-songwriter period that he was entering at this time. It peaked with the album Slowhand, which came out 3 years later.

Clapton gets credit for keeping the music of JJ Cale alive. He tried to help Arthur Lee too, but Lee blew it. The guitar festivals of the last few years have helped keep guitar-based bands alive and in front of live audiences.

Posts: 775 | Registered: June 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:
One of my favorite versions:

Love Mark's solo.

Those two are arguably the top of the heap as guitar players. Love the way Knopfler plays without a pick using virtually all of his right hand fingers to manipulate the strings.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
I loved Clapton's music, but fell out of love with his liberal beliefs, but found a new respect from him following his issues with the vaccine complication.

Kinda like the saying, ... "There are no atheists in foxholes"

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Wow. Love the version with Mark.

Wonderful Tonight always brings a tear to eye. One of my all time favorite songs.

In my life, I’ve only seen 1 concert. I wish I had seen Clapton live.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12736 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
He is a tremendous guitar player as well. I believe the Beatles were going to approach him when George talked about leaving the group. Nickname - Slowhand.

Was this around the time Clapton & Harrison were in a feud/love triangle over Patti Boyd?

Posts: 3187 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I saw Clapton a long time ago. I was in a local dive bar on a Saturday night and he made an unexpected appearance, played for about an hour. When word got out he was there a line formed outside that went blocks long with people trying to get in.

Posts: 3461 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
Was this around the time Clapton & Harrison were in a feud/love triangle over Patti Boyd?

The Beatles quit around 1970. Layla came out late November that year.
Patti left George in 1974.
Married Eric in 1979. Legend says that the 3 Beatles present at the wedding, no John, performed Sgt Pepper live for the couple. George and Eric were friends again.
Later Patti divorced Eric, allegedly she couldn’t give him children so he dumped her.
Eric fathered a boy in following years but he died tragically hence Tears from Heaven

Pattie wrote her side of the story in the book Wonderful tonight, George Harrison, Eric Claton and me.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12128 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:

The Beatles quit around 1970. Layla came out late November that year.
Patti left George in 1974.
Married Eric in 1979. Legend says that the 3 Beatles present at the wedding, no John, performed Sgt Pepper live for the couple. George and Eric were friends again.
Later Patti divorced Eric, allegedly she couldn’t give him children so he dumped her.
Eric fathered a boy in following years but he died tragically hence Tears from Heaven

Pattie wrote her side of the story in the book Wonderful tonight, George Harrison, Eric Claton and me.

0-0

Ms. Boyd must have been the greatest intimate partner in all history, having been the inspiration to *three* hit songs (Something, Layla and Wonderful Tonight).

Posts: 389 | Registered: October 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post