SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Different Ideas for Dinner?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Different Ideas for Dinner? Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted
My wife and I live several miles outside of town and have never gone out to eat very often; the Virus has almost made not often—never.

We’ve decided that the real question of life is: What shall we have for dinner? Hell, I don’t know; what do YOU want?

There may be some value in a thread of dinner suggestions. Just some ideas for main courses that I (we) may not have thought of. We’ve got boneless/skinless chicken breasts thawed for dinner tonight, and neither one of us is exactly excited at the prospect. Recipes if you like, but just the menu suggestions help. BTW, not just chicken ideas...you got that right? Wink

Posts: 13274 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Italian meat loaf
Garlic mashed potatoes
Broiled asparagus with olive oil and black pepper

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17278 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Ever had a Frito Chili Pie?

Posts: 11854 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
You already go through the 29 page illustrated guide to dinner??

What did you make for dinner?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12423 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Home made Chicken pot pie,

two pillsbury pie crusts in a can (yeah youse guys with all the tools make your own crust)
2 Cans of mushroom soup
pre-cook chicken we blanch the breasts on low
bag of mixed veggies or fresh pre-cut veggies

mix mushroom soup, veggies and cooked chicken
into pie crust in pan, cover top with other crust

Bake at 350 until the wife says its done.

Posts: 23466 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Add that chicken to cream of whatever, cream of celery, cream of asparagus, cream of broccoli,
cream of chicken etc. Throw some veggies in it and put it on top of rice. Done

Posts: 5327 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That spaghetti Carbonara that Para posted the other day- it is delicious.

Posts: 3597 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
There's always chicken marsala.

As for non-poultry ideas...

Grilled sausages with onions and peppers is a favorite at my house. The Cook's Country version is very good.

We have omelettes or scrambled eggs and bacon about once a week.

It's summer and local tomatoes are plentiful, so BLTs are on the supper menu.

Pasta salad is good in the summer. Your favorite local fresh veggies tossed with pasta, feta, and your favorite vinaigrette dressing.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
A chili-lime marinade should help out those boring chicken breasts.

Makes for outstanding eating on its own, or even better fajitas.

Spice mix, to prepare first:
4 tsp chili powder
2 tsp salt
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp cayenne pepper

(Makes enough for a couple batches; store excess in an airtight plastic container.)

Then marinade:
1. Put chicken breasts (thawed not frozen) in gallon ziploc bag(s). I try to not put more than 3 or so breasts in each bag.
2. Into each bag, squeeze 1 lime per chicken breast, plus 1 additional lime.
3. Add one heaping spoonful of spice mix (above) per chicken breast to each bag.
4. Close bag with the bag half-filled with air, then squish the breasts around inside to distribute the marinade mix.
5. Reopen bag, squeeze all the air out of the bag, reclose bag.
6. Refrigerate at least several hours, and preferably overnight. Flip bag over at least once about halfway through.

After marinating, grill chicken breasts over charcoal until internal temp reaches 165.

The next day, with the leftover chicken, you can then easily throw together some Chicken Posole soup. Dice up a breast or two of the leftover chile-lime chicken and add to a 4 quart pot with a few cups of chicken broth and a can each of salsa verde, green chiles, white hominy, black eyed peas, and diced tomatoes, plus some cumin and chili powder. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10-20ish minutes. Top with sour cream and cilantro.

Posts: 32521 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I guess chicken parmesan is another idea. Thanks everyone. Hope all of you are getting some ideas too.

Posts: 13274 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
My wife and I live several miles outside of town and have never gone out to eat very often; the Virus has almost made not often—never.

We’ve decided that the real question of life is: What shall we have for dinner? Hell, I don’t know; what do YOU want?

There may be some value in a thread of dinner suggestions. Just some ideas for main courses that I (we) may not have thought of. We’ve got boneless/skinless chicken breasts thawed for dinner tonight, and neither one of us is exactly excited at the prospect. Recipes if you like, but just the menu suggestions help. BTW, not just chicken ideas...you got that right?
I riffed off Marzy's egg drop soup recipe and made it something heartier to be a main course instead of a side. My modifications in red font.

Ingredients:
  • 4 tablspoons of corn starch
  • 32oz Chicken Broth
  • Three eggs
  • pinch or so of WHITE pepper
  • Either fresh green beans or fresh asparagus
  • 1 lb chicken breasts/thighs
  • glurp of sesame oil

Directions:
  • Mix corn starch in 1 cup of COLD water. Mixed well and set aside in fridge
  • Brown the chicken in sesame oil and set aside.
  • Bring chicken broth to simmer and add 1 cup of water to thin
  • Cut the asparagus/green beans into ~1" lengths
  • Once the broth is simmering add the chicken and asparagus/green beans
  • Return to simmer and cook 6 minutes
  • Beat the eggs
  • Stir the chilled corn starch mix and add to pot
  • Reduce heat
  • Stir slowly, VERY slowly
  • While slowly stirring add 1/3 of the eggs at a time until all are poached.
  • Turn off heat and allow to steep for 10 minutes.
  • Protect and enjoy.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23269 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    always with a hat or sunscreen
    Picture of bald1
    posted Hide Post
    Use your chicken breasts here. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Stuffed Zucchini

Take a few LARGE zucchini and par-boil them sufficient to allow the spoon removal of the meat leaving intact squash shells halves.

Saute mushrooms, onions (or scallions, leeks, or shallots) and the cubed zucchini meat then set aside. Seasonings and/or extras are whatever floats your boat.

Stir fry sausage and cubed chicken breast meat. Other meat or seafood can readily be substituted

Prepare wild rice.

Combine zucchini mixture, meat, and rice. Then layer it over the zucchini shells. Top with medium sized cooked shrimp. Then cover with a healthy layer of mornay sauce (you can go with any number of grated cheeses here although the classic parmesan and gruyere seems best to me), with a sprinking of paprika. Toss in oven until sauce has light golden highlights and serve.

Key here is zucchini, rice and mornay sauce. Everything else ingredient-wise becomes quite flexible. That said I've found the sausage/chicken/shrimp approach to be excellent. Been making this for decades! And yes, it is quite rich. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
    USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16225 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Good enough is neither
    good, nor enough
    posted Hide Post
    We love to grill up chicken fajitas. As a matter of fact that is what we are having tonight. Taco Tuesday!

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Green grass and
    high tides
    Picture of old rugged cross
    posted Hide Post
    On the op. I prefer boneless skinless wings to breasts. If we do Chicken breasts i like to cut them in to strips and bbq.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19193 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    I'm Fine
    Picture of SBrooks
    posted Hide Post
    Hot chicken salad with crushed potato chips and melted cheese on top.

Chili

Gumbo (last batch had smoked chicken, shrimp, and andoulee sp? sausage)

lasagna sp? (why can't I spell food stuff ?_

Poppy seed ham biscuits

County fried steak w/ gravy, mashed potatos, cream corn, and fried okra or some kind of peas.

Fish tacos with slaw that gives you gas.

hamburger helper

tuna salad

home made reuben sandwiches

corned beef and cabbage

------------------
    SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Crusty old
    curmudgeon
    Picture of Jimbo54
    posted Hide Post
    Some excellent recipes here: https://damndelicious.net/

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Ammoholic
    Picture of Skins2881
    posted Hide Post
    Fourth post from the bottom. Simple and easy yet very good meal. Originally posted by erj pilot. I seared chicken first on super hot grill for a minute or two per side for a little extra flavor, and heated ingredients in crock pot and mixed gravy before adding chicken to gravy mix.

SF dinner thread

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20828 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of 229DAK
    posted Hide Post
    Just trying to understand your recipe. How do you remove the zucchini meat with a spoon and end up with it cubed? I always end up with a pile of scraped zucchini flesh.
    quote:
    Originally posted by bald1:
    Take a few LARGE zucchini and par-boil them sufficient to allow the spoon removal of the [zucchini] meat leaving intact squash shells halves.

Saute mushrooms, onions (or scallions, leeks, or shallots) and the cubed zucchini meat then set aside.

Posts: 9049 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of craigcpa
    posted Hide Post
    Chicken tacos/burritos.

Take you chicken breast and put them in a crock pot - 4 hours or so. Mix taco seasoning and your choice of chili verdes, canned salsa, tomatoes, etc.

In the mean time shred some lettuce (your choice of kind) have some sour cream, more salsa (your choice(s)), avocado and shells/tortillas.

To prepare, after 4 hours cooking, shred the chicken breast and mix.

Easy peasy, not a lot of work and plenty of leftover.

==========================================
    Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    always with a hat or sunscreen
    Picture of bald1
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by 229DAK:
    Just trying to understand your recipe. How do you remove the zucchini meat with a spoon and end up with it cubed? I always end up with a pile of scraped zucchini flesh.
    quote:
    Originally posted by bald1:
    Take a few LARGE zucchini and par-boil them sufficient to allow the spoon removal of the [zucchini] meat leaving intact squash shells halves.

Saute mushrooms, onions (or scallions, leeks, or shallots) and the cubed zucchini meat then set aside.

Okay, sorry if it isn't that clear.

You take the softened par-boiled zucchini and cut them lengthwise into halves. Then you take a spoon and separate or "scrape" the flesh from the skins leaving the skins and slight amount of remaining flesh thick enough to serve as a bottom layer of this casserole. The removed flesh usually comes off in one large strip which is then diced or cubed to be sauteed as indicated.

Hope this all now makes sense.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
    USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16225 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post