SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Today in 1961: First American in Space
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Today in 1961: First American in Space Login/Join 
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted
Among all the Star Wars puns, it seems overlooked that 58 years ago today, Alan Shepard climbed into a steel can and was launched into space.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Salute.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That was a Really Really BIG deal back then.

Posts: 464 | Location: NC | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
America!!

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Admittedly, a far braver man than I.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2366 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
And I probably slept through the whole event!!

Well, in my defense, I had just turned four months old on May 2... Smile

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
At that time? A huge deal!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38729 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
" ... light this candle!!"

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3595 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
So throwing somebody into space today is FAR from trivial.

Imagine the brass pair back in the 60s to say. “A million pounds of explosive more or less literally strapped to my ass and the best case scenario launches me into the most inhospitable place know for a human......shhheeeettttt, let’s do this.” “Let’s light this candle.”

These men were either damn near Demi Gods.......or simply married and needed a to get away for a bit. Either or.....I salute thee. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7698 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
Among all the Star Wars puns, it seems overlooked that 58 years ago today, Alan Shepard climbed into a steel can and was launched into space.

and uttered his famous prayer (NSFW).

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
"Well, I'm glad they got that out of the way." Shepard to Glenn, May 18, 1959.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I was sitting in 3rd grade class listening to the reports.

Posts: 9557 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
"Gordo, I need to urinate."

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11785 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Also the first man to play golf on the moon Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14043 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post