SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    If you have ever wanted a Swiss automatic movement watch but didn’t want to spend lots of money Jomashop has a decent one on sale for $99
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you have ever wanted a Swiss automatic movement watch but didn’t want to spend lots of money Jomashop has a decent one on sale for $99 Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Not necessarily bendable. I have a Tissot Seastar with a Powermatic80 movement that I wear about twice a week. It is actually seeing slightly over 80 hours of power reserve and shockingly good accuracy.

Swatch group has that movement in a lot of their watches. They slowed the beat rate down to get the long power reserve so it doesn’t have a super smooth second hand sweep but the accuracy and power reserve more than make up for a slightly less smooth sweep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21118 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
$40 doesn't seem bad for the tools to DIY the work.
Especially if it opens up possibility of doing more in the future.

May have to look into some YT to see how involved it looks.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15358 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
How do you find out what movement is in any of the automatic watches?

Posts: 17897 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Oz_shadow, sometimes the vendor will list it but often they will just label the movement as “automatic”. When that happens sometimes you can figure out the movement by searching the watch name/product number and looking at either reviews or other vendors who list more info.

That is how I figured out what kind of ETA movement was put in that skeletonized CK watch I posted at the bottom of page 1 of this thread.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21118 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Oz_shadow, sometimes the vendor will list it but often they will just label the movement as “automatic”. When that happens sometimes you can figure out the movement by searching the watch name/product number and looking at either reviews or other vendors who list more info.

That is how I figured out what kind of ETA movement was put in that skeletonized CK watch I posted at the bottom of page 1 of this thread.

Interesting. How does the movement in this one compare?

https://www.jomashop.com/tisso...=productpage-nosto-1

What are some other quality, yet entry level movements like this?

Posts: 17897 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Oz_Shadow, that watch has an ETA 2834-2 which is VERY similar to the 2824-2 that it is based off of but it adds a day complication. I have a few watches with that movement and I adore them.

The basic Cal. 2824-2 and 2836-2 are among the most widely-used movements in modern Swiss watches. They are solid, reliable, and easy to get parts/service.

Also look at the newer ETA Powermatic80 which is also based off the ETA 2824-2 but It has some interesting tweaks or improvements if you will. The power reserve is over double on the Powermatic80 and the accuracy and consistency is MUCH better in my experience. It’s actually crazy good for the money when you compare it to more expensive brands/movements.

Common Swiss movements that I REALLY like:

ETA 2824-2, 2834-2, 2892-2, 2893-2, Powermatic80

Common Japanese movements I really like:

Seiko 4R36, 6R15, the unbranded NH35A is also a great movement (unbranded meaning Seiko makes it for other watch companies to use)

Miyota/Citizen 9015, 9100

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

posted Hide Post
Be cautious of low priced "Swiss" watches. They often have Chinese cases, dials or sapphire glass.

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
This watch was made by Swatch group for CK before they severed ties in 2019.

I have an interest in clones, super clones etc from China and can say from experience some of the watches coming from China as well as Hong Kong would shock the hell out of you in regards to fit, finish and quality.

I’ve come to realize that not all Chinese made watches are complete garbage. Some of them are shockingly good.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

posted Hide Post
The issue isn't clones or fakes. Currently only 60 percent of the manufacturing cost of a "Swiss-made" watch has to occur in Switzerland. Before the change it was only 50 percent and it only applied to the movement. That CK was being unloaded for $99 because it was viewed as a "fashion watch" and not on the same quality level as other Swiss-made watches.
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
This watch was made by Swatch group for CK before they severed ties in 2019.

I have an interest in clones, super clones etc from China and can say from experience some of the watches coming from China as well as Hong Kong would shock the hell out of you in regards to fit, finish and quality.

I’ve come to realize that not all Chinese made watches are complete garbage. Some of them are shockingly good.

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
It being unloaded cheap because of it being a fashion watch is not totally accurate. This watch was made by Swatch group and while it probably isn’t 100% Swiss made its still manufactured by a VERY good watch company.

It’s being sold cheap most likely to clear out old inventory and make room for new watches. Especially since Swatch group & Calvin Klein ended their partnership in 2019.

Calvin Klein, Inc. and Swatch Group Agree to End Licensing Agreement

It has a real ETA movement and was an absolute steal at $99 shipped....even with that ehh unfortunate branding.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
For the money I’m really digging this watch. Same fit and finish as my Tissot watches!

I have about $195 total in this watch including the Steinie mesh bracelet. Cool

The bracelet pins are a pain to push out so I just did what I always do and just put it on mesh. Big Grin There is a collar or small sleeve you don’t want to lose when you get the pins out so if you’re resizing this thing on your own keep that in mind.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~