SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    If you have ever wanted a Swiss automatic movement watch but didn’t want to spend lots of money Jomashop has a decent one on sale for $99
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you have ever wanted a Swiss automatic movement watch but didn’t want to spend lots of money Jomashop has a decent one on sale for $99 Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted
Ok, yeah it’s not the most exciting brand but the movement in this watch alone is worth more than $99 price tag (the movement alone runs around $200) It has an ETA 2824-2 movement which is a fantastic entry into the world of automatic watches as it provides good accuracy, a decent power reserve and service won’t be too expensive.

It’s not a bad base for a custom watch build. That dial and rotor wouldn’t be too hard to swap out. I bought one and intend to do just that.

Link to Jomashop sale

This message has been edited. Last edited by: stickman428,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21118 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not only that, but a sapphire crystal to boot!

Posts: 1714 | Location: CO | Registered: October 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
From what I’ve been reading Swatch group made these for CK but the two companies severed ties in 2019. That might be the reason for the surprising price tag they are probably trying to unload them before the new watches come in.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21118 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cut and plug
posted Hide Post
Thanks I ordered one. It will be my first automatic

Posts: 1145 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
It has all the stuff you would want in a entry level automatic or a base for a custom build.

-display case back to see that beautiful movement in action

-quality movement

-sapphire crystal

-thin case

The brand name is the only thing that caused me to pause. When they went on sale I figured what the heck. My modded Hamilton looks pretty cool with a sterile dial. I might go that route on the Calvin Klein watch. At 10mm thick it should be a very comfy watch.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
If I had the skills and tools to customize it, I too would be all over this. Sadly I am not so equipped. Frown

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16246 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cut and plug
posted Hide Post
Stickman. So how would one go about getting a sterile dial for this?

Posts: 1145 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hbabler:

...and better hands, and sterile rotor, etc.

Figure you'd need to have the watch in hand to determine things like dial legs, hand center diameter, etc. And then some specialized tools. Again with my aged eyes and hands, all well beyond my skill set.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16246 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Believe it or not eBay is a dang good source for parts. It’s kind of like the Wild West though with an abundance of good folk with great products as well as absolute scoundrels. So yeah, there are tons of counterfeit and questionable parts for sale on the eBay BUT if you are looking for a sterile dial it’s one of the best places to go. You just need to figure out the size of the dial and the movement/movements it is compatible with.

The ETA 2824-2 is kind of like the small block Chevy/Ford V8 of the watch world so the list of available mods is pretty decent. Dials and hands should be incredibly easy to source & swap. Smile

I’ll get you more specs on the watch once I receive mine.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Looks like that'd be a fun little project.

How would you rate the difficulty of swapping the watch face/hands/rotor?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15359 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hbabler:

Quick search . http://www.ofrei.com/page813.html

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1366 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:

I’ll get you more specs on the watch once I receive mine.

Have you seen this post? https://forums.watchuseek.com/...nfinite-5169081.html

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1366 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
As stickman has said the ETA 2824-2 is a work horse in the Swiss watch industry. Parts to mod a watch should be easy to find and I may just have to buy one to have fun with.
The hard part for most is not having the tools to do the work with. A great source for tools is a company named Esslinger. This is where I bought most of my tools from. Resist buying cheaper tools from eBay or Amazon. Most are cheap for a reason.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2573 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gambit
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Pulled the trigger. Won't be working on it though.

Posts: 915 | Location: Acadiana | Registered: February 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Like several here, I like the idea of some of the generic watch faces, but don't have tools or training. I could not stomach wearing the watch as sold, so that would not be an option. I'm left with having to buy tools and new parts and the watch, at which point it starts to look like what I'd spend for a reasonable Seiko. But maybe I'm uninformed about what the costs for parts and tools are?

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
It depends on how much of a hobby it would be for you. Just like with building an AR-15 from scratch there are a few specialized tools you will have to purchase so if you only plan on building/ modifying one it isn’t worth it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Getting to the dial/hands won’t require THAT many tools. A basic watch repair kit off Amazon or EBay for $15 or less would get you to the point where the movement is out.

Another $25 or so will get you an entry level watch hand puller but as mentioned earlier it is a VERY good idea to spend the money for quality tools.

So you could do it on your own for about $40 ( plus the cost of the dial & hands) and after watching a few YouTube videos but better tools reduce the chance you will damage something in the process.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
similar to my preferred field watch....

Bertucci.

https://www.bertucciwatches.com/Bertucci/home.html

0:01

Posts: 4213 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Dang they sold out.

This skeletonized version of the same watch is interesting too

I like that the Calvin Klein logo isn’t as noticeable on that skeletonized dial. I’m not 100% sure but it looks like it has the same ETA movement. ** edit to add** ok it has an ETA movement but not a 2824-2 it has a 2841-1 which seems to drop the date and has tweaks to make it more see through.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the Bertucci link,

Am I correct about automatic watchs?

If I only wear them twice a week, should I chose a battery powered ? Instead.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54672 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post