SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Contemplating the value of carrying a fixed blade knfe in these troubled times
Page 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 22
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Contemplating the value of carrying a fixed blade knfe in these troubled times Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Ref: my note above on SRK prices at Amazon. Scratch the San Mai info; Amazon's shot up to $116 this afternoon. Two vendors are still below $100. The carbon steel ones are still around $36 though.

ETA; I ordered the carbon steel SRK the other day for something like $35. I think my knife shopping days are drawing to a close. Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rat2306,

Posts: 3201 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Cold steel SRK or Gerber Strongarm.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
Cold steel SRK or Gerber Strongarm.

My SRK was lost in shipment by Amazon last month. Just ordered another from Knife Center, and a Gerber Strongarm (temporarily not in stock, but they also are running a special on them for $54.99).

ETA: SK-5 SRK and Strongarm arrived this morning. Put the Gerber underneath the Christmas tree. Wiped down the SRK, hit it with the butcher's steel a few licks. How can Cold Steel make money off of these for only around $40 I'll never know. Smile Very pleased with it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rat2306,

Posts: 3201 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I work in the land of metal detectors so carrying any metal knife creates problems for me. I recetly got a dagger from VZ Grips that allows me to go armed with something pretty much everywhere I go except maybe boarding an aircraft.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
I work in the land of metal detectors so carrying any metal knife creates problems for me. I recetly got a dagger from VZ Grips that allows me to go armed with something pretty much everywhere I go except maybe boarding an aircraft.

That VZ punch knife is very nice looking.... https://vzgrips.com/products/vz-punch-arrow-g10.html .what’s the blade like, is it sharp? I carry a cold steel safe maker II on my belt...

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11244 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:

A prototype carbon fiber knife - 9.5" O.A.L. - 4.75" blade - SHARP!
And not a speck of ferrous metal....

Posts: 3996 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
Just saw another VZ product I want - their G10 “pencil”. Looks like a very nice addition to my brief case, should be good to go anywhere I go.

https://vzgrips.com/knives/vz-pencils/

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
Looks like Lynn Thompson just sold Cold Steel.

Posts: 1956 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ericshane76
posted Hide Post
Nice knife. Love the shape and that it is used.

quote:
Originally posted by Ironbutt:
My preferred fixed blade for EDC. A Bradford Guardian 3, with the horizontal sheath. An untucked t shirt covers it easily, but it's instantly accessible.

Posts: 88 | Location: Wilson, NC | Registered: January 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
As far as fixed blades go I’ve got a USMC Ka-Bar, Gerber Mark II, Cold Steel Chaos, CRKT Razel SS7, SOG Seal Team, DBK Badger, and an ESEE Izula.

With that selection, closest thing I have to a stout, indestructible, “jack of all trades” blade is the Ka-Bar, with its size it really isn’t something I would carry around town.

So, after going through this thread a third time, I’ve just ordered an ESEE 5 from The Knife Connection. I used their “build a knife” option to select blade and scales. Unfortunately they didn’t have the kydex sheath in stock, so getting it direct from ESEE.

Opted for the partial serrated blade and neon green with black handles.

Artists conception:

Can’t wait to get my hands on it.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10913 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
My favorite EDC fixed blade is a Talon. 3.75" blade and OAL of 7.875" weighing just 3.7oz.

I have all 3 of the series (Talonite, 154CPM plain and part serrated edges). Carry in either a front pocket where a push of my thumb frees the blade from the kydex sheath, or around the neck. FWIW I have the original Wambli that was the basis for the Camillus collaboration with Rob Simonich. It is a knife I commissioned him to do back in 1998 when we were experimenting with Talonite.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
So, who all is now carrying a Cold Steel Kobun?

Posts: 15839 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I am.

Posts: 3440 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:
I carry a Kobun over my sun visor in my Jeep.

Pro move Rolan. I've had a Recon Tanto on my visor since the middle of this thread.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7652 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This getting old is not really much fun.

I carried a Benchmade 940 for over 20 years, little thingy on the blade to just push and it swings open. But Mr. Arthritis put an end to that.

So, I picked up a ZT 450 and 452, loved 'em. Just pull the little thingies on the back of the blade and they flip open real fast.

Mr. Arthritis suck his nose in again and I have trouble opening them.

But I found a custom made EDC bowie (sharp cutting edge and clip), thin but about 9 1/2" long and ordered it. Should be here in a week or so and I plan to EDC it. Can't carry it in a horizontal sheath just left of my buckle, but can carry it in an IWB sheath which the maker is sending.

I'll post photos and tell you how that works out. As long as I can use my hand, should work.

Bob

This message has been edited. Last edited by: straightshooter1,

Posts: 1558 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cliff:
quote:
I carry a Kobun over my sun visor in my Jeep.

Pro move Rolan. I've had a Recon Tanto on my visor since the middle of this thread.

For those of you with your knives mounted over your sun visor could you explain how you attached it or take a picture?
In my F-350 I keep my fixed blade in the door card but in my Gladiator that won’t work.
Thanks.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I've got a Kobun. Heck of a knife for the price. The sheath isn't great, but the knife itself is perfect for what it is. A cheap knife that you don't mind abusing or leaving places it might get lost or stolen. I'm not a big fan of the American Tanto usually, but this one is nice and then and has a decent amount of belly because of the curve. Takes a pretty wicked edge and you aren't going to damage the tip poking things. It's not my favorite, but I like it.

The fixed blades I find myself carrying mostly these days are both relatively small. I have a Gentleman by our own Dragon's Breath Knives that is a phenomenal little slicer. Thing is light, handy, and an absolute razor. Love it. The second is a Bark River Chute Knife for when I feel like something a little more traditional looking. It's a bit on the small side for a Chute knife, but it's impeccably made, looks great, and is pretty non threatening for a fixed blade when hanging off the belt. Or maybe it's the aging guy the knife is hanging off of that people don't seem to find threatening. Either way, it doesn't draw as much attention as a Kabar or something.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
For those of you with your knives mounted over your sun visor could you explain how you attached it or take a picture?
In my F-350 I keep my fixed blade in the door card but in my Gladiator that won’t work.
Thanks.

I have a Molle sun visor cover that velcros around the existing sun visor. I have the sheath secured by the straps. I'll try to get a picture later smlsig.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Thanks.

Thank you. Looking forward to the picture.
I have a Molle sun visor cover that velcros around the existing sun visor. I have the sheath secured by the straps. I'll try to get a picture later smlsig.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Thanks.

Here is a picture. I like it because if I need to, I can slide the sheath out too.

Knife by Dave Steier, on Flickr

Thank you. Looking forward to the picture.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post