SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Contemplating the value of carrying a fixed blade knfe in these troubled times
Page 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Contemplating the value of carrying a fixed blade knfe in these troubled times Login/Join 
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Plugugly:
TheFrontRange, I just want to say that your revolver is beautiful!

Hey, thank you! Smile

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks! Okay, ESEE 4 it is.

I'm thinking ESEE 4 plain edge with 3D micarta. Like the high viz orange (in case I drop the knife, easy to find), but will probably have to settle for whatever blade and grip color combination I can find.

Is there a generally recommended sheath for carrying in the woods? Or stock sheath is good to go?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12679 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
ESEE 4 or 5 and Spyderco Jumpmaster2 have my eye. But the latter is trending no - the knife seems nice in every way except they are available only in serrated. I'm not sure how well indicated that is here.

Serrated is great. Cuts rope like butter, probably cuts other soft things just as well.

-c1steve

Posts: 4039 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
quote:
ESEE 4 or 5 and Spyderco Jumpmaster2 have my eye. But the latter is trending no - the knife seems nice in every way except they are available only in serrated. I'm not sure how well indicated that is here.

Serrated is great. Cuts rope like butter, probably cuts other soft things just as well.

^^^ +1

(Not that not that hard to maintain/recut if needed either)

Also, one of these … Just the right size for fieldwork

On the back of the leather sheath, it is rough/suede/split where I put a bit of green rubbing compound/abrasive on the back for edge polishes if ever needed.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:

When I was learning about knives a decade ago, I found the serrated vs smooth debate to be like the .45 ACP vs 9mm debates that we used to have.

After researching it, I went all smooth, for everything, but I'm always willing to revisit past decisions as new data becomes available.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
My Kobun has been sitting since I got it.
Tried boot carry & it wasn't really practical, as you have to get the pants leg so high to access to draw.

May try reconfiguring the clip to carry 'upside down' as mentioned here & see how that feels/carries.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15136 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I got his and hers ESEE 4. One each of 1095 and S35VN. Both with micarta. I'm thinking about finding a way to attach them sheathed tip up to backpack strap since the right side belt is already supporting ccw. Or is low drop leg sheath better - need some sort of adaptor strap to allow for drop leg attachment?

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12679 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm thinking about finding a way to attach them sheathed tip up to backpack strap...
That is an excellent way to lose a knife. This is especially true with stock sheaths like the ESEE-4 which retain the knife via friction only.

However, there is a Molle back for the ESEE-4 sheath, which has a retaining strap. It would allow you to secure the sheath to a backpack strap.

https://www.smkw.com/esee-3-4-cordura-molle-back

This ESEE 3 and ESEE 4 Black MOLLE Back fits both the ESEE-3 and ESEE-4 hard sheaths. Simply align the holes in the lower portion with the holes in the sheath and use the four screws and posts provided to securely fasten the MOLLE back to the sheath. The top of the MOLLE back has both an adjustable handle retention strap and a flap that can be slipped over the pommel end of the knife and secured tight with the paracord and cord lock, making the RC3 or RC4 sheath jump safe. Both the top portion and lower portion of the MOLLE back have a built in belt loop and have MOLLE straps compatible with the military and LEO PALS system.

I think that the screws and rubber grommets used to attach the sheath to this Molle back are not included, but you can get this hardware from ESEE very inexpensively.

Posts: 107234 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks, good to know. I was under the impression that the sheath allowed for varied levels of compression. And I read some posts that some people attach knives to their straps when backpacking. Others attached it to the backpack hip belt (which I sometimes have depending on what pack I'm using that day).

I'm assuming I'll be IWB carrying on the right hand side hip. Need to find a good place to attach a long, weighty knife.

My understanding is that it needs to be open carry as well. Probably easier in summer vs winter (with heavy jackets).

Is there are recommended method for knives while also doing IWB carry?

ETA: perfect - thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into it.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
ESEE offers a kydex sheath option for the ESEE-4 (as opposed to the standard plastic sheath, which is actually quite good). Avoid the kydex sheath. Great idea, poor execution- no way to adjust the tension.

For the screws and grommets, you may want to call the guys at The Knife Connection, who are more accessible than a lot of knife places. It's a small shop and you can speak directly to one of the owners. I love Knifeworks and SMKW, but in this instance, I would probably buy the backer and hardware from TKC, even though they are asking a bit more for the backer.

https://theknifeconnection.com...eries-sheaths-black/

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info and the help! I'll follow up. Maybe they can help with drop leg as well. Try different options and see what sticks.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was under the impression that the sheath allowed for varied levels of compression.
No adjustment at all, and not only that, but the retention is via two little plastic nubs molded into the mouth of the sheath, and each time you insert or remove the knife, you are wearing down those nubs. Though it will take quite a long time, eventually you will wear down those little nubs to the point that the sheath will still hold the knife, but not tightly.

Fortunately, ESEE-3/4 sheaths are widely available and inexpensive when you need a replacement.

Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I carry this knife, have for years. It's a custom but probably close to an ESEE 4. I got the orange G10 for ease of finding and it did happen once. I had the knife in an unzipped fanny pack and it fell out on a desert trail. I backtracked and it really stuck out. I have the Kydex sheath, with a TekLoc, set up for horizontal carry, that allows it to be attached to pack straps, too.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3386 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Nice! I like the orange. I hoping that I can chance my handles (micarta but bland color) to micarta orange and maybe the 3D profile (currently flat profile).

I like that blade profile - most of my folders are that profile.

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nice! I like the orange. I hoping that I can chance my handles (micarta but bland color) to micarta orange and maybe the 3D profile (currently flat profile).

I like that blade profile - most of my folders are that profile.

It’s really very easy to make scales. The most critical part is making sure that the holes are square/perpendicular and that they lineup. Needs to be flat on the inside as well.

You can buy all kinds of levels of completeness for scales and materials from knife making suppliers.

Go nuts and make a bunch!

Get some paracord too, so you can do your lanyard braids.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
ESEE offers them in G-10 with the standard flat profile for 20.00. Click the dropdown menu on this page:

https://www.eseeknives.com/pro.../replacement-handles

TKC also offers them in G-10 but with a rounded, more hand-filling profile for 50.00:

https://theknifeconnection.com...esee-4-blaze-orange/

THE TKC scales are great. I have the same scales for ESEE-3/4 but in different colors (black and ranger green- both of these sets are mounted on ESEE-3s. The ESEE-3 is a thinner blade and therefore thinner tang and the TKC scales make the ESEE-3 much more sure in the hand), but the real value is the ESEE scales at 20 bucks. They are perfectly comfortable on the 4 AFAIC. I do have a set of ESEE G-10 scales in orange. They will fit both the ESEE-3 and the ESEE-4. I have mine on a 4.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks Para. I saw that ESEE had an orange option for the 4 in S35VN (ESEE-4P35V-OR). But it's G10 rather than micarta.

I'm uneducated and inexperienced so may be this shouldn't be a consideration. But I thought I read somewhere in this thread (and a number of articles on the webz) that suggested that micarta would have better grip when wet (ie - when bloodied during use w/ a mtn lion). So, I've been opting in particular for micarta handles.

If this is really just academic and G10 is fine in practice, that opens up more choices.

Signified - I'll look into knife making suppliers. This is a whole new world for me. This is kind of my first fixed blade knife in my adult memory. I've only had folders to date. So handles, sheaths, open carry, etc are all new to me.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
If this is really just academic and G10 is fine in practice, that opens up more choices.
Well, TKC has recently introduced Micarta choices as well:

https://theknifeconnection.com...es/esee-3-4-compact/

I don't think you'll find much difference in general between G-10 and Micarta so much as you will find a difference in how the material is finished/textured. The TKC Micarta scales might have a bit more texture to them. I've mentioned before that the G-10 scales which ESEE puts on their S35VN version of the ESEE-3 are glass-slick, despite being grooved across their entire surface; they are grooved, yes, but they are also highly polished and I would not want to rely on them when it matters. I just don't feel as if I ever had a good hold on my ESEE-3 when these scales were on it. This is not what you want out of a knife or any tool for that matter.

The TKC G-10 scales, on the other hand, have a subtly textured surface and are not over-polished like the ESEE-3 G-10 scales (specifically, the one's ESEE referers to as their 3D or three dimensional scales). The TKC scales are also a bit thicker and this makes a difference.

And the ESEE-3 G-10 scales- the ones that have the standard flat profile of their standard knife scales- are perfectly fine. They have checkering on the flats and I won't hesitate to use them or recommend them.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks Para, this is very helpful. It's not information one can glean off a webpage. First hand experience matters. Sounds like I made a good choice in sticking with the micarta flat for the ESEE-4 S35VN despite the desire for the orange (but only available in G10).

Okay, to summarize, I should be okay with:
1. ESEE flat profile G10 or micarta; avoid ESEE G10 3D.
2. TKC G10 or micarta are good to go.

I'll look at the choices available.

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
It sounds like I need to try the micarta on the ESEE 4.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post