SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Contemplating the value of carrying a fixed blade knfe in these troubled times
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 22
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Contemplating the value of carrying a fixed blade knfe in these troubled times Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
This thread got me to looking at my state's laws on knives/concealed carry (Virginia). Not too friendly unless pocket knives, less than a 3" blade. Lots of leeway left to prosecutors. My fixed blades will stay at home unless out in the field hunting, fishing, camping. Open carry seems to be okay, but they don't approve of Bowie knives, dirks, daggers, etc. Note of caution for many; check your local and state ordinances.

Posts: 3201 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
Same here! I guess I just have to stick with my Kershaw Blur.

Posts: 1955 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^Spotted several 3" folders from Kershaw, Gerber, Spyderco, Ontario, etc. on-line. I have one Ontario marked for the cart; but would like one or two more different models. Just can't see myself standing in the breach holding my Old Timer Stockman... Wink

Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
Ha! Ha! Check out Zero Tolerance as well.

Posts: 1955 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll have to do that (Zero Tolerance) before long. Went ahead and ordered the Ontario, and also a Buck 112 folder, both 3" blades. The Buck may be chunky, but... Meantime; I got one of my fixed blade Ontarios (good old fashioned USAF survival knife) ordered earlier in today, and was giving it a little bit of TLC.

Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Just curious for opinions... is the Microtech Socom Alpha Mini too big to edc? I've never carried a fixed blade. I'm a fairly big dude btw.

https://microtechknives.com/knife/socom-alpha-mini/

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6984 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Para,
The Cold Steel Kobun was Ziva's (the Queen of NCIS) knife of choice, what more could you possibly want? LOL!

FWIW, I have one and like it a lot. Conceals well. I added a loop of paracord to slip my hand through so if I stab something with a lot of resistance my hand doesn't slip down onto the edge. That would be disastrous as these things are sharp!

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2869 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
+1
quote:
Originally posted by elberettas:
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
^It's true. I had no need for a new knife until I perused this thread. Now I have two on the way. Had to order the second one to get above $100 to qualify for free shipping.

Of course. That makes perfect sense! Wink

Posts: 13789 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rat2306:
I'll have to do that (Zero Tolerance) before long. Went ahead and ordered the Ontario, and also a Buck 112 folder, both 3" blades. The Buck may be chunky, but... Meantime; I got one of my fixed blade Ontarios (good old fashioned USAF survival knife) ordered earlier in today, and was giving it a little bit of TLC.

Edited to add/update: Looking around more, I ordered this Ontario folder for those of us in locales where anything larger than a 3" blade on a pocketknife is problematic. A steal at $20 but it may have a learning curve.

https://www.knifecenter.com/it...in-blade-g10-handles

I'm considering a Cold Steel Grik also; and a Cold Steel Code 4 or American Lawman for contingencies.

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
I often carry this fixed-blade “Pocket Drop” model from Kistner Knives out of TN; alas, upon looking for a link to share, it appears Mr. Kistner maybe out of the knife business, sadly.

The knife came with a handy Kydex horizontal sheath that I wear at the front / right of my belt (at about the 1 o’clock position).

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Is there any objective/scientific/historical material regarding the safety of neck knife carry ? Is the pointy end of a knife pointing at your jugular vein a safety issue ? Can one fall a certain way and the knife end up stuck in your throat accidentally ? I'm sure it's OK, but I'd rather read about it to understand HOW it's ok to carry like that.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8632 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
Is there any objective/scientific/historical material regarding the safety of neck knife carry ? Is the pointy end of a knife pointing at your jugular vein a safety issue ? Can one fall a certain way and the knife end up stuck in your throat accidentally ? I'm sure it's OK, but I'd rather read about it to understand HOW it's ok to carry like that.

Most, but not all the ones that I have seen have a scabbard they’re carried in that is hung around the neck. Anything is possible, of course, however I would think a person would have to be wearing a really baggy, loose fitting shirt for an occurrence such as you describe happening.

Posts: 12167 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
My preferred fixed blade for EDC. A Bradford Guardian 3, with the horizontal sheath. An untucked t shirt covers it easily, but it's instantly accessible.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was carrying a little Cold Steel fixed blade knife (can't recall its name) as a "get off me!" blade, but picked up one of those CRKT Chub fixed blades. On Amazon they are $74.74, but at the Knife Center they are only $15.95 plus $4.00 shipping.

Came today, reasonably sharp (I'll fix that in a few minutes), sheath is kydex and seems okay, and it fits nicely at 10 o'clock. Still just a get off me type of knife, but that's all I wanted.

Bob

This message has been edited. Last edited by: straightshooter1,

Posts: 1557 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by straightshooter1:
I was carrying a little Cold Steel fixed blade knife (can';t recal its name) as a "get off me!" blade, but picvked up one of those CRKT Chub fixed blades. On Amazon they are $74.74, but at the Knife Center they are only $15.95 plus $4.00 shipping.

Came today, reasonably sharp (I'll fix that in a few minutes), sheath is kydex and seems okay, and it fits nicely at 10 o'clock. Still just a get off me type of knife, but that's all I wanted.

Bob

Not finding that on Knife Center. Can you provide a link? Thanks.

Posts: 26846 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Arfmel, you know I'm dumber than dirt when it comes to computer stuff. I don't have a clue how to make a link.

But I went to Knife Center, the search box, put in Scrub and it came up.

BTW-thanks again for the 44-40 and I am sure enjoying it.

Bob

Posts: 1557 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^
Here's your link.

God bless America.

Posts: 13394 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by straightshooter1:... but picvked up one of those CRKT Chub fixed blades.

Thanks Arfmel. I did a general image search for "CRKT Chub" and got some images back I wasn't expecting.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2538 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tailhook 84:
quote:
Originally posted by straightshooter1:... but picvked up one of those CRKT Chub fixed blades.

Thanks Arfmel. I did a general image search for "CRKT Chub" and got some images back I wasn't expecting.

You should thank straightshooter1, who I quoted. Wink

And thanks to Vhotky for the link to the knife. Smile

Posts: 26846 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by straightshooter1:
Arfmel, you know I'm dumber than dirt when it comes to computer stuff. I don't have a clue how to make a link.

But I went to Knife Center, the search box, put in Scrub and it came up.

BTW-thanks again for the 44-40 and I am sure enjoying it.

Bob

Smile

Glad you are enjoying it.

And thanks for the tip on the knife. I ordered one.