SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Contemplating the value of carrying a fixed blade knfe in these troubled times
Page 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 22
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Contemplating the value of carrying a fixed blade knfe in these troubled times Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Let’s keep in mind that evolving screening technology is able to scan for much more than just metal. Emitters that use signals in/near the mobile phone part of the spectrum are able to detect objects by their density, which means that some non-metal weapons do cause an alert.

Have Colts, will travel

Posts: 3188 | Location: SE Texas | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rexster:
A Glock knife is an inexpensive hole-puncher, to keep in a vulnerable place, such as a vehicle, which is exactly whee I have kept mine, for years.

FWIW, I found a good deal ($85) on another Tanto-tipped Hogue EX-F02, and that's been the stash-in-the-vehicle option for me.

quote:
...it does not spook folks...In the category of longer than 5.5”, but still of reasonably portable size, I have yet to firmly settle upon anything.

I went with a more affordable 6" option, but then quickly realized I can't imagine where I'd actually wear the dang thing where it wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb. I would guess the same is true of any dagger, whereas a longer bladed hunting or work knife isn't far enough out of the ordinary to really attract all that much attention.

http://www.legionusa.com/kizly...nife-ko-1-black.html

They also offer a slightly shorter K-02, but I'm not sure what advantages that version offers over the one I got.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rexster:

Let’s keep in mind that evolving screening technology is able to scan for much more than just metal. Emitters that use signals in/near the mobile phone part of the spectrum are able to detect objects by their density, which means that some non-metal weapons do cause an alert.
Even a Glock 7?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Even a Glock 7?

Ceramics. Damn.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
quote:
Even a Glock 7?

Ceramics. Damn.

It costs more than you make in a week.

Seriously though, over the last year I've gotten in the habit of carrying a 3-5 inch fixed blade in place of or in addition to a folder most of the time. It's legal here and as long as it's something fairly benign looking like a Falkniven F1 it draws very little attention.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Barbarian at the Gate
Picture of Belwolf
posted Hide Post
Thanks airborne19822003, just ordered an M1, fits my need perfectly, would have picked up a M2 as well but they are sold out.

I have many folders, my Kershaws ( Blur and Leek) are what I typically EDC, Leek at work and both off work. That Leek fits perfect in a jeans watch pocket.

Been looking for awhile for a shorter fixed blade- found many good candidates that were always either too pricey or that were flawed in some manner.

Fixed blades I have are mostly beasts. The shortest I have is a Buck 105. My Case Quartermaster gets the most use since I wear it when I ride but it's a tad large for everyday settings. That M1 scout worn horizontally should work fine.

“Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it.”
― John Adams

"Fire can be our friend; whether it's toasting marshmallows, or raining down on Charlie."
- Principal Skinner.

Posts: 4354 | Location: Thonotosassa, FL | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
Ordered this on July 31st and it came today. Looks really nice and is pretty darn sharp. It was on sale for $29.99. Figured I would keep it in my vehicle.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1047 | Location: Bluegrass State GO CARDS!!! | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
Upon reading through the thread, my inital thoughts kept going back to my Kershaw Military Boot Knife. I picked one up at the Elmendorf BX in the mid-00's I believe, and have carried mine in multiple capacities for years. It's not my favorite primary, but it's been a constant backup over the years. I don't remember if mine came double edged, or if I added the second edge sharpening, but mine is sharp on both sides. It's a fairly stiff, needle point that holds an edge well and disappears easily in several carry methods.

I was trying to link to it on Kershaw's site, but it appears to have been discontinued. Here's the amazon page where it is unavailable, and I can't find it on kershaws site anywhere: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001...XI/?tag=ataofhoco-20

I carried multiple gerber versions of the Applegate Fairbairn fighting blade. Most I've broken using them in utility roles. I'd perhaps consider the fixed blade version by boker which appears to be a higher quality:

https://www.knifecenter.com/it...handles-kydex-sheath

I'm still a sucker for a seal pup, and when I'm concealing a fixed blade I usually grab one of those or my little gerber:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13939 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
quote:
Originally posted by rat2306:
M3 Trench Knife

I've always wanted one of those. But I have a couple "end of the world" knives that I can't really do much with, without running afoul of the law, so I don't really need another. Smile

The later bayonets of WWII, Korea, Vietnam, etc. up until perhaps 2010 were essentially the M3 with an attachment handle. Meant to be more of a stabber, than a slasher (like the Ka-bar). Alas, I checked the website today of the vendor my order is with; last update shows not in stock until Sept. 30. Guess I'll have to wait a little longer. Frown

Posts: 3203 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKSuperDually:
Upon reading through the thread, my inital thoughts kept going back to my Kershaw Military Boot Knife.

That’s a great little knife, but as you have discovered they discontinued it a few years ago. It’s a shame because I lost mine shortly after they discontinued them.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redlickranch:
Ordered this on July 31st and it came today. Looks really nice and is pretty darn sharp. It was on sale for $29.99. Figured I would keep it in my vehicle.

Recon Tanto SK-5?

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8787 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 362 | Location: Mansfield, TX | Registered: April 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Well, that looks nice.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
my two submissions to the thread.

cold-steel-culloden (the old version with the thin nylon sheath. I wore this clipped to the nylon straps of my Level 3 vest. It collected a great deal of sweat and crap over the years. It is still sharp as it needs to be.

Boker Applegate-Fairbairn boot knife.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:

Very nice. I emailed them to make sure all materials were sourced in the U.S. and all production done here. This was the reply I received just a few minutes after sending the email.

quote:
Thanks for reaching out. Our knife blades are machined, manufactured, and heat treated in Georgia. The G10 that we use for our handles and the kydex that we use for our sheath is also produced by an American based company. The belt attachment, often referred to as the “protech” design is purchased from a company in Boston, Massachusetts. Both of the knives that are currently available, the M-2 Nessmuk and the M-4 Tenasi were 100% designed by me. The box that we package our knives in does come from Taiwan, only because we have not been able to find a cost effective U.S. manufacturer. I hope this answers your questions and thanks for your support of the Made in U.S.A. industry!

Good enough for me I ordered the Tenasi. That's two knives this thread has cost me now. The other the Gerber Armstrong.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8505 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With one knife arriving not long after Oct. 1; I'm putting the M-4 Tenasi on my Christmas wish list.

Posts: 3203 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I'd be interested in seeing field testing of that M-4

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I'd be interested in seeing field testing of that M-4

I’ll certainly be happy to give you my impressions of it when I get it. It should arrive any day now. I just got up to the lake for a week or so getting ready to close up for the season it will be home when I get back.

I’m no expert but I know quality when I see and feel it. Plans for it are to be an occasional carry piece and ride in the truck console.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8505 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I bought the M-2, the Tenasi wasn't out yet..

Very well made, sharp, nice kit

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
I bought the M-2, the Tenasi wasn't out yet..

Very well made, sharp, nice kit

I have that same knife and it is a great knife.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post