SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need Mac Computer Help -- PROBLEM SOLVED!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Mac Computer Help -- PROBLEM SOLVED! Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

Regarding Practice Fusion and EHR. The stuff you dealt with is a frequent occurrence with the software I am forced to use. They do not bother to tell you that you must use Internet Explorer or an older version of Chrome because they changed something with their software.
We have the same version of Chrome (the most current version) on both my wife's MacBook and on mine. Same version of the OS. In fact, when she bought the MacBook Air, I set it up for her by telling the OS initialization routine to look for my MacBook Pro on the local network and duplicate it.

So, with two computers that should look pretty much alike, the upload works fine on mine. It worked on Lynda's for years, until last week, when this problem appeared.

Mind boggled.

Why can't I get rid of all traces of Chrome on her computer, so that I can do a clean install of the browser? Why doesn't it work in a Private browser window? WTF is going on? Help meeeeeeee

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Usually more than just one plist but I have not specifically gone into Chrome archeology. So, maybe not. I tend to Firefox for the day to day.

Incognito would make me think that prefs matter less, anyway.

I’m guessing Chrome isn’t tossing an interesting error in the system/app logs.

So, I’d probably start with Developer mode and see what all the calls are and what’s tossing any error. Maaaaaaaaybe throw on a local proxy like Charles if I had to, but I dislike the setup.

Not that you don’t have a working solution with Firefox. I just like puzzles.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Try logging onto her Mac using a different account. Create one if you have to, then try the upload under the new user. If this works, log back on with the original account and try it. I’ve seen this clear up some problems.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
There is another, simpler possible explanation for Chrome's malfeasance. Perhaps Google has issued a silent security patch that disabled the desired behavior. Compare the version numbers of instances that work, and don't. If it's in the code itself, no amount of configuration munging is going to rectify things.

Posts: 6468 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Late to the game, but I would have recommended deleting the cookie for that web site as a first step.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

Late to the game, but I would have recommended deleting the cookie for that web site as a first step.
Browser history totally cleaned via all options from the "Preference" menu. Cookies, Cache, everything that I could find. Browser deleted, fresh copy downloaded and installed, re-boot, all the usual troubleshooting steps. Weird situation persists. Upload of file works using FireFox on both my MacBook and wife's. Trying to use Chrome -- stated to be the "preferred" browser by the Practice Fusion folks -- works fine from my MacBook, will not upload new documents from my wife's. She can see and work with anything that she did in Practice Fusion prior to the onset of the problem, years worth of documents that she has uploaded are just fine, but she is unable to upload new stuff.

I have a busy day ahead of me at the hangar today, will have to put this aside for the day, but will try to make time to put some screenshots in this thread late afternoon or evening. Nicky 0-0 had requested this earlier, but I never got a round tuit.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
You May need something like OSX Uninstaller to clean out all the hidden junk. The usual manual uninstall may not get rid of all the left over “library” files lurking around.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:

You May need something like OSX Uninstaller to clean out all the hidden junk. The usual manual uninstall may not get rid of all the left over “library” files lurking around.
Never heard of that. I'll poke around the internet and look for it when I get some time later today.

Unless maybe you have a link for it?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
Yes, Chrome hides stuff in the dumbest places. It can be really hard to completely uninstall, even when using their uninstall feature.

I use EasyFind to find and delete all kinds of crap a regular search or folder-by-folder search doesn't find. It's free:
https://www.devontechnologies.com/apps/freeware

Sig P226 .40 S&W
Sig SP2022 9mm
RIA 1911 Gov't .45
...and more

Posts: 719 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When this stuff happens, I have wasted a lot of time with software support trying to find a solution because I am just as obssessive as you appear to be. I finally give up and figure a work around, like using firefox even though it is inconvenient. I then try again several months later and the problem is gone. I have had to use Internet Explorer at times for this sort of thing, because Chrome or Firefox did not work. Trying to be your own IT person sucks.

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FBHO
posted Hide Post
+1 for Easy Find. I use it as a manual uninstaller.

Posts: 1046 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: September 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Find Any File is my go-to for cleaning up the bits that uninstallers leave behind. Also handy for finding any file that you forgot where you put it. FAF does not use nor depend on the Spotlight index. It searches the file system itself and is very fast. Very flexible with search parameters, and searching only certain folders rather than the entire system if you know the file is in that folder.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
V-Tail, did you try it using a different login?

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:

Not yet, I will try that when I return home from my delivery trip. Probably some time this coming weekend.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:

Back from the delivery trip, and tried your suggestion. I went to my wife's computer, where I had been logging in as her (I'm trying to solve her problem, so of course I had been logging in as her).

I tried your suggestion and logged in as me, on her compter, and Practice Fusion took the upload with no problem. Logged myself out, logged in as my wife, and the problem was still there.

FireFox showed no problem, no matter who was logged in. On my computer, there was no problem with either Chrome or FireFox, no matter who was logged in. We could make a Venn diagram and show that the only combination that had the problem was my wife logging in as herself on her own computer and trying to use Chrome to upload a document to Practice Fusion, which, of course, is the combination that she uses for her work.

I did a bit more poking around, found a directory that seemed to have Chrome chicken tracks for her login: ~Lynda/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome. I quit Chrome, wiped out this directory (and, of course, its contents) and re-launched Chrome, which now thought it was a new installation. BINGO! Problem solved.

I have no idea why, after years of working with no problems, the trouble appeared a week or two ago. The only change that I am aware of that was made on her computer: I installed MalwareBytes. She had picked up some ka-ka somepace and was getting pop-ups telling her to call Apple support at a toll-free number. Her Practice Fusion was working, but those pop-ups were annoying, so I grabbed a copy of MalwareBytes, which did get rid of the pop-ups. It was after that, that she realized that she was not able to upload to Practice Fusion.

Kind of strange, the Practice Fusion uploads worked while she was getting the annoying pop-ups, the uploads stopped working only after I cleared out the cause of the pop-ups.

In any event, all's well that ends well. I appreciate the responses that everyone gave me, and the troubleshooting ideas. Computer software problems be weird stuff.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
Well congrats. It always feels good to solve a problem such as this.

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post