SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A modest proposal about profanity. (NSFW which is the reason for the proposal.)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A modest proposal about profanity. (NSFW which is the reason for the proposal.) Login/Join 
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Fuck knows. They're jumping around like a bunch of Kansas City Faggots.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Now, see: The more the subject word is used, and especially totally gratuitously, the sooner the day will come that it has lost all its ability to shock anyone, much less reduce them to a lump of quivering unsafe jelly. Sorry to those who have invested so much time and effort in arming themselves with its use in social interactions, but times change and we must be prepared to change with them. As I mentioned, there are other words that even now are much more unacceptable to most people, but like Mr. Hand Grenade who is no longer our friend after the pin is pulled, one must use them with great care lest they do more harm to the hurler than the intended target.

Another example of what I was referring to in the original post as how attitudes have already changed, I recalled the fact that during my lifetime the word was considered unacceptable even in works of adult fiction. In the 1948 war novel The Naked and the Dead the author, Norman Mailer, felt it necessary to render the word as “fug” (with variants). Sometime later he was supposedly greeted by a contemporary actress who said, “I know, you’re the one who can’t spell ‘fuck.’” But that sort of thing is long gone. The current le Carré novel (published posthumously) I’m reading has plenty of fucks and fuckings without any reference to sex, and evidently without anyone’s blinking an eye. I have even seen it in serious works of history when the author was quoting someone and chose to state it clearly.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I'll bet you're a hoot at parties

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:

I am at the parties I am willing to attend. Wink

(And when we start repeating ourselves, the invitations taper off. Have you noticed that yet? If not, something to keep in mind as this is at least the third time you have said the same thing about one of my threads. Smile )

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:

I am at the parties I am willing to attend. Wink

(And when we start repeating ourselves, the invitations taper off. Have you noticed that yet? If not, something to keep in mind as this is at least the third time you have said the same thing about one of my threads. Smile )
Gee! I thought maybe he was referring to me. I'm not a "party guy", and probably would not be much fun at the parties he goes to.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gee! I thought maybe he was referring to me. I'm not a "party guy", and probably would not be much fun at the parties he goes to.

flashguy

Naw, he wasn't referring to you. You don't seem condescending and self absorbed enough.

Posts: 6619 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ogie:
quote:

flashguy

Naw, he wasn't referring to you. You don't seem condescending and self absorbed enough.
Hmmm. I guess I need to work harder. Wink (And there are those here who would disagree with you.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post