SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A modest proposal about profanity. (NSFW which is the reason for the proposal.)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A modest proposal about profanity. (NSFW which is the reason for the proposal.) Login/Join 
32nd degree
Picture of roarindan
posted Hide Post
NSFW !!!!! Warning !!!! I F@#&!ng told you !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdTMFHJfetY

"the world doesn't end til yer dead, 'til then there's more beatin's in store, stand it like a man, and give some back"
Al Swearengen

Posts: 4586 | Location: East Overshoe, second buckle from the top. | Registered: January 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I swear like the sailor I once was but not in front of women or children. I very much dislike the public acceptance of the word fuck. Everywhere I look I see f*ck or ____AF. Maybe I'm too old school but I don't like it.

Posts: 3448 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I had a tech that worked for me. I hired him as a near homeless (slept in his car the night before he interviewed with me) Navy vet. The man showed up and was dressed immaculately.

He did not know the first thing about being a network tech. He made promises, I made promises, his references checked out. It was a great hire.

As we worked together for several years he became my cussin box. I could just point at a switch or router or cable etc. and say "Clay!" and he would get after it, it was always hilarious. I swear he could use the F work in all parts of speech in the same sentence. The crew would get to laughing and it was a good break. I miss those days, I miss clay.

Clay also proposed, Martin Scorsese Day. On his birthday, we would try to use the F word in every single sentence. It was a real challenge, and sometimes was difficult to turn off. I remember ordering a Fucking number 1 with a fuckin cherry limeade from Sonic for lunch. Ah geez, those were the days.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3588 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
I should probably have a warning label.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
As a younger man I used coarse language. I grew up without it. Never heard my dad utter it even once. Same with grandparents, uncles and aunts to this day. Profanity became part of my personal rebellion in my mid 20s. Turns out it was the least of my sins before it was over. Anyway some time in my 29th year I decided I liked myself more without the pecadillos and changed my behaviors.

Occasionally I'll mutter something under my breath having to do with excrement. It's funny how sometimes that's the only word that fits the scenario. I don't have negatiffe feelings for those who do use that language though I prefer not to hear God as part of it. We are all different and I enjoy that. Have never heard it from Mrs df but two of the Jr dfs do cut loose when angry or frustrated.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29683 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P210:
I should probably have a warning label.

That'd be a fun signature line. Big Grin

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Grew up around drag racers, mechanical engineers, aircraft builders, machinists, mechanics, Soldiers, Sailors, Airman and Marines in the family and followed those footsteps.

Yeah, the word fuck, was the lubricant for the success in all of those things.

But, I never used blue language in front of my mother, my sisters, my grandparents or other family.

I know better than to drag my ass across the carpet in the house that keeps me.

But if I am in the junkyard, I am a nasty junkyard dog.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Freedom of Speech to a point. But Not condoning any profanity laden vulgar language in any form be it out in public or private. Some times the people filter needs to be re-established back to something more civil. .......................... drill sgt.

Posts: 2001 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I don't understand what you are supposedly suggesting. Defanging other profane words by how?

I'm a sailor and quite fluent in the language of profanity well above the pidgin ability of most people who can merely utter "fuck, fuck, fuck" ad infinitum and think they're quite urbane.

But it was three years into my marriage and including knowing my wife two years prior that she laughed as I was struggling with the clutch and the car was going backwards on a hill in San Francisco. I looked at her strangely why she was laughing and she said that was the first time she heard me curse when I said "shit" at the moment.

I stick to the language of the crowd I find myself in and if they don't speak profanity, neither do I. For that matter, when I'm around people who routinely curse, I don't usually curse either. It's like if I knew how to speak Chinese, I wouldn't speak Chinese around people who don't speak Chinese or even those who speak just pidgin Chinese. I would use it when ordering at a Chinese restaurant where I would get the most bang for my buck.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
I would use it when ordering at a Chinese restaurant where I would get the most bang for my buck.
I think you misspelled "buck."

Posts: 6455 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
Defanging other profane words by how?

By the process that words such as “damn” and “pregnant” and “penis” and “vagina” and “erection” have become defanged and acceptable in the politest of company, not to mention in everyday discussion in the most public of venues: Exposure. In the same way that things like beach (and other occasion) attire has evolved over the past 100 or so years. Even discounting total nudity that is sometimes acceptable today, at one time bathers (mostly women) were actually arrested for wearing clothing that exposed too much—but not very much—skin on their legs or conformed to their bodies too closely and outlined underlying structures such as pubic mounds or nipples. I still recall the titillation expressed by one commentator at the time in anticipation of a well-known news anchor’s being “forced” to mention BJ Clinton’s penis on national teevee. With enough common exposure followed by acceptance, anything will lose its shock and awe effect.

I will give you credit, however, for having understood the point of my initial post and responding appropriately. Although the other responses are hardly unexpected, the thread was not about use of profanity in general, i.e., one’s attitudes toward it, proclivities, etc., but rather how it would be possible to dispense with the bleeps, blurs, and other evasions that public figures of all types must resort to in order to avoid actually saying “fuck” out loud, and despite the fact that the vast majority of the populace knows exactly what is meant by “f*ck,” “frigging,” or “Let’s go, Brandon.”

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
No one I know thinks twice about using such mild expletives in the politest company today, so why not defang other words? And it’s not like deshockitizing the “F” word will leave us bereft of alternatives to shock, awe, and possibly get us fired: “C” and “N” words come to mind.
You obviously do not know the right people. I do not utter ANY curse words under any circumstances other than to answer a question about them (very rare). It doesn't matter if the "fair sex" or children are around, either--I just do not curse. (If I hit my thunb with a hammer, I yell "OW!"--believe it!)

So please don't make broad generalizations that are not true. I do think about it and I don't like it. Society has become much cruder than when I was a child, and it's NOT an improvement. When underage children are openly yelling obscene words, we've come too far.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a cop, one learns to communicate effectively in the language of the streets, which is vivid profanity. Even so, I did not resort to its use until my customers did so. My military and parental experience helped me to learn the use of profanity effectively. These days, if I have to address any group of people who do not know me, I say: "I am bi-lingual. I speak fluent profanity and broken English".

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:

I used it freely in my early days in the Army (although never the “F” word which was rarely heard in my experience)

How is that possible? Where you one of the Vatican's Swiss Guards?
Not at all. In the 1940s and 1950s that word was almost never heard. I'd not heard it until I was in my mid-20s, and in the Air Force (from younger officers, 1960s). It just was not a common expletive back then. (D@mn, 7734, and sh!t were fairly common, though.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whenever I work on a vehicle I issue a warning to all within earshot because there is simply no human who can resist letting out a string of motherfuckers when they're under the hood.
I spent four years in the Navy and many in the construction field, so I've heard and used a good deal of foul mouthed profanity but I truly hate profanity being used by women, around women and especially children.
I guess I'm just old fashioned that way.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3524 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I did invent a word so I could say someone's head was full of excrement without profanity. I call them scatacephallics. Saying that is almost as gratifying as saying it the profane way.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29683 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^^ Well, that follows all the rules, so (FWIW) you get to claim to have coined a word rather than have invented it.

sigfreunde, part of what seems to be emerging is that people use that word in some contexts where it's not only socially acceptable but a way of communicating as part of a particular group of people. Maybe it makes sense to think generally of its "proper" use as a social skill that's not always used skillfully rather than a word that necessarily needs to be defanged.

Then again, it would be nice to undercut those who would deliberately use it for shock value, such as obnoxious kids and people who use it in an attempt to bully others.

Either way, I would ask the question for the sake of the discussion: does a generalized approach make sense?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My use of profanity was shaped in my early youth in the construction industry.

It wasn’t fine tuned and turned up past maximum until years later when I was an appointed official in county government.

I was in charge of purchasing and contracts and frequently met with assistant civil DAs regarding contractural matters. It was only when working with lawyers on a regular basis that I really learned how to insert cuss words in every sentence, sometimes stacking them in imaginative and creative sequences that were quite impressive and an insult to mothers everywhere.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Where the fuck are we on this?

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post