SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Best Pickup I Have Ever Driven
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Pickup I Have Ever Driven Login/Join 
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted
The company I am retired from sent me to Indy on Friday to bring a GM owned truck back for evaluation. It was a 2500 High Country with the DuraMax and Allison transmission. What a powerful, smooth, and quiet engine. I believe it would break the rear tires loose. I drove it about 175 miles and it was so smooth and comfortable. The window sticker, which I couldn't find would be over $70k.

This truck was one of many that GM had at the Brickyard 400. There were some NASCAR stickers on it and it was used to carry drivers around the track during introductions.

Still can't believe they paid me to drive it. It was large and powerful enough that I was able to bring 3 cases of Yuengling home. Kind of Bandit like.

Posts: 5622 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice. I have a customer that paid me $50 an hour to go test drive a Bentley speed version with 600hp one time.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
It damn sure ought to be a good 'un for $70 large.

Posts: 26912 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
My building guy has an older one. He has a chip on his and can make almost 700hp. The thing is a monster and I witnessed him destroy a GTO built for drag racing in it.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I had a 2003 Silverado extended cab that I certainly do miss....

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I'm a bowtie guy through and through and really want to step up to a diesel for my next truck, which is still probably 5 years away. GM lagged behind in diesels for a long time but the combo of the Duramax and the Allison tranny has vaulted them forward.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10489 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My benchmark pickup is an '83 C2500 with a 350 and a 4-speed. We used it HARD. When it was retired at ~350K, the motor went into a friend's project.

Posts: 516 | Registered: October 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some of these trucks are super nice but the prices are absolutely insane, I'd be afraid to ever use it as a truck.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3537 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Three cases? Bet you could slide in two pallets and not notice the weight ...

Sounds like a job I want! Cool

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:
Some of these trucks are super nice but the prices are absolutely insane, I'd be afraid to ever use it as a truck.

Agree! My feeling is that so many people are buying pickups just to be part of the "in crowd".

Big freaking status symbols!

Saw one new one the other day, jacked up so high that the 5'0" girl could barely clamber into it. Looked like the hood was at least 6 feet high.

Around here, I see 1000s of pickups, very rarely doing anything but commuting.

Saw a new Silverado a while back, parked inside the mall as a show piece. Window sticker was some $53K, but a notice in very small print indicated that there was an additional $8K in shipping and dealer prep.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billnchristy:
My building guy has an older one. He has a chip on his and can make almost 700hp. The thing is a monster and I witnessed him destroy a GTO built for drag racing in it.

I've got video of my brothers 06 GTO getting curb stomped by one of these in an 1/8th. After watching that happen, my daughter has been ribbing him calling it a GT Slow!

Posts: 2833 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I have a 2002 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z-71 and it has been a great truck. I hope to get another 5 years out of it and then I plan to get a 2500HD High Country Z-71, but the prices are very high so I need to save up the next 5 years for a good size down payment.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:

I don't really understand this. You don't have to beat a truck to death to be "using it as a truck." If you pull a 30 foot RV are you using it as a truck? What if I go get 2 yards of mulch?

If you had a Porsche would you run it fast? If you had a Wilson Combat 1911, would you shoot it?

Posts: 10489 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I paid $68,000 for my house in Woodstock in 1994.
$70K for a truck? Something that will lose value?
It's a piece of equipment to be written off.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39759 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
^^^^
Lol I was thinkng the same thing. My house in Maine cost me 58K and I could live in it.

Modern trucks are nice but I can't see paying that much on a depreciating asset. I could buy an early 80's Chevy for $500, drop 5K into it and it would do anything the new one could.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All vehicles have gotten expensive. You can thank the EPA and CAFE standards which have caused manufacturers to use expensive technology and materials to achieve lighter weight and better efficiency I have a 2008 Ford Expedition eddie bauer it's sticker was $39k, the comparable 2018 Expedition limited I'm going to replace with comes in at around $68k.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Very true. Vehicle prices are disgusting. I have a 2003 Grand Cherokee Overland, fully loaded. Perfect shape, I bought it in Cali a few years ago for 5K. I looked into the cost of a current replacement and it was like $60K! I laughed and thought "well maybe in 15 years or so I'll get one".

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bet it was a nice runner. The new diesel emission systems are keeping me still looking at gas.

I own a Isuzu nrr box truck that threw a fault code went reduced power. Real productivity killer. My small business owns 7 gas pickups and they run reliably and emission reduced power never pops up.

Was ready to buy that pwr train for my next personal truck but confidence is not there.

Posts: 464 | Location: NC | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
A pickup truck used to be the cheapest thing you could buy. Then they turned them into trendy over fluffed, over cushioned, overpriced, oversized cars.

A perfect example of what's wrong with America. Wink

quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
I don't really understand this. You don't have to beat a truck to death to be "using it as a truck."

No, but if you have the kind of job/livelihood that requires you beat a truck to death, you probably can't swing a $68k one.
Towing a boat once a month or the occasional Home depot trip isn't using a truck.

Posts: 21106 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cas:
No, but if you have the kind of job/livelihood that requires you beat a truck to death, you probably can't swing a $68k one.
Towing a boat once a month or the occasional Home depot trip isn't using a truck.

Disagree. Doing anything that you can't do in a car is using a truck.