SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Air Circulation In Garage
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Air Circulation In Garage Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
V-Tail - We purchased a 5000 BTU portable AC unit (unit does not have to be mounted in window only the exhaust tube) from Wal-Mart for $199.00 and set it up close to a window and set the thermostat on 85F. It keeps our MS carport dehumidified and cooler than it was before especially after pulling in one of the family vehicles with a hot motor. We have been using the same unit for the past three years and it is still working GREAT…..

May not be the solution you are looking for but wanted to share what has worked for us. I did cut two 1”x2” trim boards to the needed length and painted them white for my window security.

Posts: 3245 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
People in great big cities are finding out that through the wall ( portable) window A.C. units ,
if not installed in very specific locations can be
Easily pulled outside.

Then it's easy for bad guys to enter the garage, where more often than not there are tools for ganing access to the main house.

Just be careful

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54644 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bendable - Great point. We live in a small town in the county and we also have a solid metal coated door with a deadbolt between our vehicles and our living area - but - I still would consider anyone in my closed and locked carport to be trespassing.

Posts: 3245 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Failing to prepare is
preparing to fail.
Picture of SigLaw
posted Hide Post
Living in AZ I got tired of the hot garage. Changed out the door for an insulated no window one, insulated the attic space above and installed a mini split. Best money I ever spent. Even keeping the temp at 85, the garage is fine even when it’s 115 out. FYI, my garage faces west.

Posts: 1359 | Location: Gilbert, AZ | Registered: November 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
They use roof mounted ventilation here in the Midwest and many thousands of dollars in insulation.

Cracking the garage door sounds like a horrible idea to me.

Rats, mice, snakes, gators, racoons.
Christ sakes they have pythons there now .

Exactly, I know I have mice hanging around by my front door mouse scat is a good indication. No way would I leave my garage door open. As it is I eliminated a small scorpion in my house on the floor that for the life of me I don’t know how it got in.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4835 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigarmsp226:
5000 BTU portable AC unit (unit does not have to be mounted in window only the exhaust tube) from Wal-Mart for $199.00

I tried one of these a few years ago, location Orlando. It was from Costco and was about $500. I vented it out the dryer vent to try it out before I decided to make any permanent changes. I could not detect a single degree of difference in the ambient temp of the garage.

One problem was the vent hose going from the unit to the vent was hot. And I mean like oven hot. It was radiating so much heat it might as well have been an open oven door. But I suppose that is what happens when the unit is trying to cool 95 degrees and 90% humidity.

The unit was producing cool air, but it just wasn't enough to touch the ambient temp.

Posts: 2292 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
I tried one of these a few years ago, location Orlando. It was from Costco and was about $500.

I run one in the office during the day so I don't have to run the whole house AC to cool one room.

Can't see it keeping up with my 900+ Sq ft garage

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post