SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Air Circulation In Garage
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Air Circulation In Garage Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
Our garage door has window inserts, more or less like the photo below. With the 100°F days that we have been experiencing, the garage is getting pretty hot. Wondering whether it would be a good idea to replace some of the glass window inserts with screens.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30674 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Having spent 10 years in Vegas I'd first look to insulating the door. Ours there faced East and adding the insulation made a huge difference.
It's a relatively easy DIY project.
Secondly, I don't think adding screens would make a huge difference unless you have other windows you could put a fan in for cross ventilation.

Posts: 1963 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Rain would blow in on your important belongings.

Just raise the door an inch when you are home

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They use roof mounted ventilation here in the Midwest and many thousands of dollars in insulation.

Cracking the garage door sounds like a horrible idea to me.

Rats, mice, snakes, gators, racoons.
Christ sakes they have pythons there now .

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54644 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:

This is exactly what I do. Makes a big difference.

quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

Holy Jesus, fear mongering, Batman!

Q

Posts: 26390 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
quote:
They use roof mounted ventilation here in the Midwest and many thousands of dollars in insulation.

Bendable is right. Depending on how much living you do in your garage a minisplit and/or a Big Ass fan could be considerations. These plus insulation make ours a year-round space.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Wondering whether it would be a good idea to replace some of the glass window inserts with screens.

I would think our afternoon thunderstorms would make this a terrible idea.

My old house, the garage door faced south. I insulated it myself, I think it cost me $150 in material at Lowes. Made a pretty big difference.

Posts: 2292 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Maybe look at getting a roof vent installed?

Posts: 33814 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
What about installing a couple 12" high awning windows on opposite sides, up near the ceiling, and just leave them open? This is what I do.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Is the garage insulated, if not have the ceiling area done with blown insulation, I have a guy that did our home and SIL's house.

We installed a LifeStyle garage door screen, it's easy to pull down or put up and provides open ventilation to the garage without letting in bugs, critters or pythons...

It will help some, but in this heat nothing much helps as the air outside is hot as hades anyway, but in most of the year you'll be able to pull down the garage door screen, open up the door inside to the house and some windows and create a great breeze.

Link

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Air needs to go both in and out and I don't see screens in those windows helping much.

Posts: 9516 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
The air flow will definitely make a big difference.
Pop out the window for a vent or raise the bottom an inch or so as 12131 mentioned.
Yes it does work, I do it all the time in this heat.

Posts: 22909 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I raise the door and keep a high velocity fan running. I face it so it blows out the door, I have two doors so it gets me some circulation and keeps the garage from heating up beyond the temp outside.

Posts: 4114 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I am seriously thinking of cutting a hole in the wall, and mounting a window air conditioner.

Posts: 13681 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
My youngest son just went through this when he bought his first starter home. Of course the garage door was just thin sheet metal with no insulation. And to make things worse their master bedroom was above it.

We ended up insulation the garage door with poly iso panels cut to fit in as tightly as possible and then taping the edging with hvac aluminum tape. Total cost for a double garage door less than $200 and only took a couple of hours. There are a bunch of YouTube videos on the subject.

Also, if you don’t have any insulation in your ceiling and can get access to it I would suggest blowing in at least R-30 or so. Those 2 things will make a world of difference.

Once those are done you can get one of those 20” box fans to blow the air around too.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6318 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
You could consider a mini split. That has been discussed here several times.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37960 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
What direction do your door windows face? Our neighbor had a garage door with windows like yours and it faced the west and he said it got unbearably hot during the summer, and we are talking Iowa here. He replaced the door with an insulated one with no windows and he said it was much better. I think you are getting a lot of greenhouse heat from those windows.

Our thoroughly insulated garage with 20yr old insulated doors would freeze every winter for a month or so when it got down to negative numbers in Iowa. I managed to clip the main door with our Suburban before it was fully up and replaced it with a new better insulated one a couple years ago and it hasn't been below freezing in there since.

Also, with the screen idea, someone could just cut through and reach in and trip your emergency release and open your door by hand. I never liked those windows because it gave someone a view of trying to do that with the coat hanger over the top technique and it also allowed them to see what you had inside your garage. They would have to stand on a chair or something, but still.

Posts: 2516 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:

This is exactly what I do. Makes a big difference.

quote:

Holy Jesus, fear mongering, Batman!

well, he did leave out Iquana's and Florida Man,,,,,

Big Grin

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
Can you add windows to the sides and rear of the garage?

Ridge vent will help if its not already there.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3865 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My garage faces west, and I have the same/similar doors and windows as you. I put transparent but heat reflective film from Amazon on my windows and it made a big difference.

Posts: 21 | Location: DFW | Registered: September 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post