SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone here ever "coded" a car? (BMW)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone here ever "coded" a car? (BMW) Login/Join 
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted
I have a new 2022 BMW X3 M40i. It's the first new car I've had in 9 years, and MAN, they've changed. Technology everywhere, and some of it is "set" to settings I don't prefer. In particular, my car has a 48v mild-hybrid that shuts the gas engine off a stop signs. There is no off-button, so to defeat it, I put it in sport constantly, thus generating the opposite of whatever goal the tree huggers had in mind.

So anyway, I've learned that you can get something called Bimmercode to set some different defaults for various settings. One of which being that auto-off.

Has anyone done this to a BMW or any other make with a similar application? Any tips or warnings?

Posts: 11376 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I would bet that this "coded" car voids the warranty if caught by the dealer

Popular tuners for hot rod cars and diesel trucks do void the warranty but, they have a way to reset to factory setting before going to the dealership

Definitely not an expert on this subject

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dan03833
posted Hide Post
My last BMW was an E46 330xi. Used to be back then, when you brought your car in for service they'd stick your key in a chip reader. If they still do that and it finds specs out of whack with what they should be, they might void your warrenty.

Posts: 1538 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: February 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bimma code should not void the warranty.

It is letting you access the built-in options on the car from the factory.

You may flunk the inspection if it is required in your state.

That is different from loading firmware or dropping in tuning chips.

Those will void the warranty if detected.

You can always just revert to the factory default setting when going to the dealer if you are worried about it.

Takes about 2 minutes if all you did is change the auto stop setting.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
I use carly for bmw on mine. You can find it in the app/play store

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6850 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Yes, I had a BMW and it was tuned with iCarly. It is definitely a great tool to accomplish many different things. Depending on who is tuning and their knowledge of tuning the car, you can to a myriad of things, from extracting a lot of power, to shutting off the auto stop.

Tuning your car will not “void the warranty”. Warranties aren’t just blanket voided because if something that you do. That said, tuning your car may cause warranty claims to be denied depending on the tune, and the claim. If you turn off the auto stop, and your high pressure fuel pump fails (it’s a BMW, the HPFP is only good for 50k miles) they won’t deny that claim.

If you change the fuel air map, wastegate settings (adding more boost) rev limiter increase, and then you throw a rod, you can guarantee they will deny the claim.

I have a programmer I use on my Jeep. It reprograms the tire size (speedometer adjustment), allows the tires to run at lower pressure without idiot lights on the dash (stock is 37 psi, I run 28-30), and auto stop is turned off.
Before I ever go to the dealership for any reason, I reset everything to factory specs. It’s just safer in the sense that they can’t nitpick issues that I may have.

After looking around, it looks like the best option for what you want is a code change by bimmertech. If you can change it back and forth as you wish, I would do it. If you won’t be able to switch it at your leisure, I wouldn’t. Solely because the first time BMW updates the electronics, you would lose the code change.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I don't have any BMW experience, though I hear a lot about these guys and see a lot of their stickers on cars around here: https://www.bimmerworld.com/

Might be worth a call and a chat.

God bless America.

Posts: 13483 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
ForScan on Fords, for turning on/off functions not user accessible.
Not applicable to your specific request, but similar.
If possible, make a backup of the base/stock coding so you can revert if something doesn't function as expected.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15255 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Must be that vaunted German engineering. My 2018 VW also has the software-based options settings that can be manipulated by a dealer with laptop software. This software is not available for general purchase, but there are third-party alternatives. I got interested when the dealer told me I needed a new battery to the tune of over $500. When I said I'd just replace the battery myself, the service writer replied "you do know you're going to have to code that battery, don't you?" Attempting to sell me the work by using FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt). I'll never patronize that dealer again (yes, I know they are all the same).

Anyway, I was motivated to do a little investigation, and learned that the state of the art of software controlled electronics has pretty much made this a common thing. But also that there are alternatives for DIY'ers and shade tree mechanics. The software packages are brand-dependent and aren't cheap. For the most part, they run on Windows, but there are some (with a more expensive hardware component) that are controlled by mobile phones and tablets. These are much more sophisticated than the older OBDII technology, but use the same connector (usually) under the dash.

You do not have to be particularly computer savvy to use this software, but it would help to have a decent understanding of automotive systems, e.g. what exactly a "throttle body" is, and why calibrating the throttle body position sensor might make a difference.

Posts: 6448 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Even my BMW motorcycle requires a special electronic tool to shut off the "maintenance overdue" message that pops up every time I start it. Mad The dealer programmed it to show that message to get me to bring it into the shop once a year, even though the owners manual shows I have several thousand miles to go before maintenance is needed. So I tried to buy the tool.
$750! I have learned to live with the message. Roll Eyes

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16062 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
... So anyway, I've learned that you can get something called Bimmercode to set some different defaults for various settings. One of which being that auto-off.

Has anyone done this to a BMW or any other make with a similar application? Any tips or warnings?

I've installed a tune on my BMW's before but I've never used bimmercode. It's been around for a while and seems to have a good reputation. Here's a link to the supported coding options on the X3 - it looks like you CAN deactivate auto start/stop. I don't see a coding related forum for the X3 at Bimmercode, but some of the other subforums might. You'll need a supported OBD adapter to connect to the car.

Posts: 830 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Hahaha, i went from a 200 GTO to a 2022 Charger Hellcat.

At best i might use 80% of the features…, eventually.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14032 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But.... Have you set up launch control yet?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16062 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have two Audi's and there are "hidden" features/ options that can be unlocked with a scanner. One of the scanners is the Ross Tech which I purchased. It not only unlocks these features, it is also a diagnostic tool that can pull the logs of malfunctions. It will not void your warranty of adding options such as opening and closing the windows with a long press of the lock or unlock button on the key fobs. However, if you mess up the coding and brick your car, that will be an expensive mistake and will not be covered under warranty.

I have not looked into any engine tuning or mapping with my scanner, as I don't think it will do any of that. If it did, I am certain that it will void your warranty if discovered. I have heard of Audi declining warranty claims due to chips and tunes, even if reset to factory settings. These cars have driver logs and they can pull them if the car is taken in for service.

I know for a fact that BMW needs to have the battery coded to the car. The serial number needs to be put in the computer so the alternator charges differently. A weak or old battery needs more of a charge than a new one and if not coded, will cause premature failure of the battery. These cars are not like our grandparents cars.

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I’ve used ForScan, a laptop, and the right cable between my laptop and my truck to turn on a hidden information screen to show how clogged the DPF is. I’ve also used it the run a static regen of the DPF. I used it to check if the dealer made the correct changes to my tire size when I asked. They did. This isn’t “tuning” as these are just pieces of data in the vehicle’s computer’s memory. For example, the program that controls the speedometer checks the values in the computer’s memory for tire size and gearing. Changing those pieces of data affect the results the program gives, but don’t actually change the program itself.

I’m probably wrong, but “tuning” involves changing the programming itself. When you flash the engine control module or powertrain control module, you are replacing the manufacturer’s programs with third party ones. Even if you flash it back to stock, the computer keeps track of how many times it’s been flashed and the dealer will be able to see that.

On the other hand, I don’t think the computers keep track of how many times pieces of data in their memory are changed. In other words, if you turn off the auto stop, then turn it back on, I don’t believe anyone can tell. I could be wrong.

Posts: 10900 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Call your stealer first. Tell them the changes you want to make. It’s all done through your ODB-II port. If the dealer service dept. is friendly they’ll do it for you, or a small fee.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12614 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Call your stealer first. Tell them the changes you want to make. It’s all done through your ODB-II port. If the dealer service dept. is friendly they’ll do it for you, or a small fee.

Dealer will not, under any circumstances I have heard of, eliminate or even have the ability to eliminate “EPA” features.
If they had that ability, there are many people in the BMW/Mercedes world that would have these issues fixed.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Bimmercode won't void the warranty.
I had my car in for my last free oil change and the tech had to do an idrive update and told me it would reset all my codings. I told him to do the update and I would recode what I wanted.

If possible I always code:

ASD off (I hate the fake engine sounds)
Temp in TPMS sensors
remember last auto start/stop (this way it's always off)
angel eyes at 100%
sport +
DVD in motion if supported

and a bunch of other little things in my '18 f33 and my '19 f39.

for flash tunes, I've only done bootmod3 stage 1. With your engine (B58), you're probably already happy with the HP. It's a good engine so you're probably not going to want to add hp right now.

I use Bimmerlink to put the ebrake in service mode when doing the rears, also use it to register a new battery if I need to change it. Bimmercode and Bimmerlink are nice to have.

Forgot to add: this is where I learned bimmercode

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/for...rumdisplay.php?f=429

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chowser,

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8008 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
ASD off (I hate the fake engine sounds)

Huh. I had to Google that. Never knew that was a thing.

"Our engine sounds too wimpy, so we're going to pipe fake engine roar through the speakers so drivers can feel like they're driving a muscle car."

Sounds like the fancier technological equivalent of the fart can exhausts that kids used to bolt onto their beater Honda Civics so they could feel like they're in The Fast and the Furious.

Posts: 32489 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 19 Corvette has technology in the computers that records the number of times it has been reflashed. This is kept track of not only on the engine control computer but also on another (don't remember which one, they're all interlinked) so dealer knows that it has been tuned and then returned to original stock tune when they hook up their monitor. I was told it was instant denial of any engine/transmission drivetrain warranty. Body stuff would still be covered I really suspect GM is not the only one that uses this technology to keep track of what has been done to car. Just remember that the auto companies have many lawyers on staff to make your legal life miserable, how many do you have in your employ, and are your pockets deep enough to fight against them for extended periods while your car sits disabled.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2885 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post