SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    IPhone X or 8?????
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

IPhone X or 8????? Login/Join 
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
The X is a fantastic phone. I’ve had mine a year and would completely recommend it.

Posts: 5075 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
Very happy with the X. I’m often in a lab with gloves on and can leave my X propped up on the counter. If get a text or notification, I can ask Siri to read it to me which requires unlocking the phone. I can look at it for Face ID and then read/dictate messages. Something I couldn’t do on my 7 with the fingerprint reader.

The above is just a bonus. The camera quality, battery life, and large screen in a smaller phone were the real selling points for me.

Michael

Posts: 1104 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
I have an X. I love the face recognition....works in all levels of light conditions.

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member of FPC, GOA, 2AF & Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2845 | Location: Tucson Sector | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aparoche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2PAK:
Xs Max is what I’ve ordered. Upgrading from a 6.

I still have a 6S Plus and plan on making the same move.

Posts: 524 | Registered: November 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Time for new phones.

Have had the 8 for a year plus and it seems to work just dandy.
Switching providers and they are offering BOGO on both and are willing to give $280 each for the ones I have now. Also $200 just for switching. Total those up that is more than I paid for the 2 iPhones when I bought them.

Instead of taking their trade offer, I would sell your current phones yourself. Depending on model, they are going for $400-$600 on craigslist.

quote:
Is the X worth it?? We take lots of pics and videos of the kids. Other than that stream music and surf the web.
Not much video watching outside the occasional YouTube.

X has better cameras, so if you using for photos and video it is the way to go.

quote:
Do you have to use the face unlock thing? Thumb unlock still an option?

No, you can use passcode if you choose, but no thumbprint. Like others have said, I think face is the way to go and with iOS 12 you now have the option to register a second face if you wish.

Other points...

Bigger, better screen on marginally larger phone, better battery life

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10960 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
I really like the fact that when signing in to some sites the face id will sign in for you.
It recognizes you and does the password for you.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
The X is worth it given your statement about the pics. The 2x optical zoom is great. Personally, I would never want to go back to fingerprint unlock. The face is smooth and effortless. It's expensive. It's worth it.

Posts: 11398 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I miss the Home button but otherwise I like my X with its larger screen and smaller size.

Posts: 17903 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NEITHER

Apples just released the XR and the XS. I went through this same decision. Most people complain about poor battery life on the 8. The XR has much better battery life than the 8 and even the X. (XR replaces the 8). The XS was just released to replace the X, it too has a little bit better battery life than the X, but is IP68 waterproof, not water resistant IP67 that the X was. I ordered a new XS to replace my 7 because of that feature instead of going with the 8 or x or xr. For $250 I felt the OLED screen of the XS and the IP68 was worth the cost difference. The X or XS doesn't have the thumb unlock, you swipe up. 8 does have the thumb unlock and I believe the XR has the thumb unlock.

If you're deadest on an 8 or X given the rebates, definitely go with the X for the screen and camera and battery life over the 8.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
... but is IP68 waterproof, not water resistant IP67 that the X was.

Nothing is really "waterproof." IP68 still means water resistant. My S9 has an IP68 rating, but I still wouldn't willingly stick it water without a dedicated waterproof case.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30433 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
quote:
8 does have the thumb unlock and I believe the XR has the thumb unlock.

If you're deadest on an 8 or X given the rebates, definitely go with the X for the screen and camera and battery life over the 8.

The XR has Face ID just like the X, XS, and XS Max.

And as for battery life, my current iPhone 8 runs circles around that of the X based on the time I spent with one (I’ve been known to flip flop back and forth due to my tech geek nature), but YMMV.

Posts: 3521 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

Nothing is really "waterproof." IP68 still means water resistant. My S9 has an IP68 rating, but I still wouldn't willingly stick it water without a dedicated waterproof case.

I believe the specs are:

IP67 - waterproof for at least 30 minutes at a depth of one meter.
IP68 - waterproof for at least 30 minutes at a depth greater than one meter that must be specified by the manufacturer.

Apple say two meters for the iPhone Xs.

As Blaze said, I wouldn't use either underwater without a case designed for it.

Posts: 11017 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

I believe the specs are:

IP67 - waterproof for at least 30 minutes at a depth of one meter.
IP68 - waterproof for at least 30 minutes at a depth greater than one meter that must be specified by the manufacturer.

Apple say two meters for the iPhone Xs.

As Blaze said, I wouldn't use either underwater without a case designed for it.

I get the specs. I currently have an iPhone 7. If my shorts got wet (not soaked but just really damp, like getting hit real quick with a hose or sprinklers) and I took the phone out of my pocket 30 seconds later it would act funky (speaker or microphone not work properly for 30 minutes). I recently dropped it in a bilge in 7" of water for about 6 seconds and it got moisture under the screen and now the screen has bright white highlighted areas from top to bottom.

I had a customer who dropped his iPhone 7 in 2' of saltwater off of a dock for about 60 seconds before he got in and got it out and the phone was toast. Ironically he was the CEO of one of the companies that makes cases for phones and tablets. It didn't have a waterproof case one it. LOL

I had an ip68 Casio Gshock (Kyocera) milspec phone, I would literally put it in a glass of water and shake it off and use it to show people and it never had an issue. They had one at the Fort Lauderdale Boat Show, in a fish tank, playing music the entire 4 days of the show everyday. I fell in saltwater with it, and no issues.

IP68 is a heartier rating, and no I don't plan on going swimming with my iPhone XS, but I hate a bulky waterproof case (prefer the Apple silicone case which is excellent for drops from my experience) and work on boats, so if I happen to fall in the water for the 1-2 minutes it takes me to get back out, hopefully the phone will be fine. IP67 is really considered water resistant, not waterproof. Apple still calls the XR "water and dust resistant" and the XS "a new level of water and dust resistant". But it's the only phone Apple has ever made that meets the IP68 rating.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
IP67 is really considered water resistant, not waterproof.

So is IP68, it just has a higher water resistance. Again, no electronic device is truly waterproof. Given a certain depth, it will fail.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30433 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
i've never had any iphone but the X, but I really do like it. but if you really want that fingerprint unlock, don't get it. yeah, the face ID is kind of annoying sometimes, but I deal with it.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
When you whippersnappers burn your retinas out, and the eye doc (or ophthalmologist, as I like to refer to my personal eye Doctor--who I've known since we were about 6, and who was the Valedictorian of our high school class) says that the face recognition from an Iphone caused this, please remember the cranky Sigforum member who warned you.
Now, I'll excuse myself, as I need to freshen up my tinfoil helmet with some new foil... Wink

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Is this true?

Apple's new $1,000 iPhone XS doesn't come with a fast-charging brick.
You'd need to spend $70 on the relevant accessories to fast-charge the $1,000 iPhone XS.

Posts: 2681 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jelly:
Is this true?

Apple's new $1,000 iPhone XS doesn't come with a fast-charging brick.
You'd need to spend $70 on the relevant accessories to fast-charge the $1,000 iPhone XS.

Yes, that is indeed correct. The new iPhones are still shipping with the original charging brick.

Posts: 3521 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post