SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Christmas Eve disasters, let's share our stories
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Christmas Eve disasters, let's share our stories Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Christmas edition.

So, I have been sick since Thursday. Food poisoning. Been kinda tough going. Well the Christmas Eve get together with a couple of friends canceled because I was in no shape to cook let alone eat. No biggie.

Last night was the first time that I had gotten any sleep since Wednesday. Went to bed at 1 AM, I didn't awaken until 12:39 PM, my pup just let me sleep. This starting to look up.

Well not so fast, after I woke up, I gave the pup her breakfast, I went to the bathroom, dressed and took her out for a little play time, you know since I was feeling better, and it was a balmy 23°F.

We got in and she opened her Christmas presents and I watched her play with her new toys and talked on the phone with a friend.

All going well, yeah sure I'm gonna miss Christmas dinner with my friends, chicken noodle soup is the menu. But I'm feeling better, my pup is happy and I'm staying fairly warm.

Well, then I get the urge to pee really bad. I go to the bathroom and water is running ot of the toilet at the floor I did not see this, I stepped into ice cold water on the floor.

My sewer line froze and the water of course has no place to go, so it's running on the bathroom floor.

I turned the sink on and the water won't drain. So, I turned on all the water with hot water and it all drains away.

Fine, I then go the the bathroom and I pee blood. Yep, here comes another kidney stone. Merry Christmas

Posts: 3216 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
We are on the other side of the country for Christmas with Mom. My son was supposed to fly in Friday from Seattle via Charlotte. Flight is massively delayed, didn’t matter because all ground transport was shutdown and he couldn’t get to the airport. We haven’t seen him at Christmas for three years now. Brother and sister-in-law were going to host Christmas dinner at their new place. SIL comes down with Covid, we don’t hear until after grocery stores close on Christmas Eve. Luckily my wife was making homemade noodles for the dinner, so she threw the chicken in with the noodles, whipped up some mashed potatoes and we ate well.

Posts: 1522 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
And, on an unrelated note, my 17 y/o baby boxer mix decided to go to doggie heaven at midnight, while I was cleaning up. The sweetest and friendliest dog I've ever known. He's in a better place now.

Pic from last year:

Q

Posts: 27624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ho Lee Chit Q! I'm so sorry to hear that. Man I'm thinking that my Christmas was bad, and all.

I'm so sorry.

ARman

Posts: 3216 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Frown

I have no Christmas disaster stories to share. Worked a bunch of Christmases and spent many a Christmas alone, but I don't consider them to be disasters, and certainly not on par with what you had to deal with.

Q, just wanted to say how sorry I am about the loss of your pal, as well as the mess you had to deal with in cleaning up the flooding.

I hope you were able keep some semblance of Christmas spirit and tradition over all of these trials.

...and thanks for posting Joy to the World, as I hadn't listened to that yet this season.

Merry Christmas to you and the Q clan.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Geez, Q. Sorry to hear about your buddy Frown

Don't have any Christmas (Eve) disaster stories to share, but, my wife and I are both sick with something for the second Christmas in a row.

Last year it was confirmed Covid-19. Who knows what it is this time. Started on the 18th, for her, the next day, for me.

Had to cancel the annual holiday thing we throw for close friends that would've been tomorrow.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
So sorry for your loss, Q.

Posts: 27183 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Q,
So sorry to hear about your misfortune. Like you said, your pup is in a better place now, but I know he will be missed.

Posts: 877 | Location: Louisiana and Florida | Registered: February 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dang man. You’ve had a week. Hope it gets better soon. Sorry to hear about your pup.

If it’s any consolation my cousin in Colorado had a pipe burst and the ceiling gave way over the area of her basement. Only saw photos online but thankfully her daughter was down there doing something when it gave way. Left a big wet hole in the ceiling.

Posts: 4978 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Would you like
a sandwich?
Picture of Dreamerx4
posted Hide Post
Wow, sorry Q...
and sorry for your loss!

Our wasn't a disaster exactly...

My daughter was to fly home for Christmas on Christmas eve... she arrived to ATL airport, got to gate, and flight was delayed... had plane, pilots, but no flight attendants... flight cancelled. Tried getting another flight that afternoon, while I was purchasing ticket for $400, it disappeared and was the available for $1300...
She looked at rental cars, but they were all gone except luxury ones...

Her pastor actually gifted her a flight leaving Christmas day, at noon, so that was huge blessing.... Until it was also cancelled 7:40 Saturday night...

She called, and had obviously been crying...

I left from Northern Virginia at 8:01 Christmas eve night, drove to Charlotte, got up early and completed drive to Atlanta, grabbed our girl, and came back home to Virginia Christmas day... 1300 miles in just under 26 hours with couple hours sleep and gas/ food stops...

All good, we celebrated as a full family for Christmas today.

Think I may nap in a bit. ;-)

Merry Christmas!

Posts: 1044 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
Nothing even close to yours, but I was watching Red Dawn on my IPad on Christmas eve. Decided to go to bed around 11 and went to put the IPad on the charger. Instead I dropped it on the tile floor and shattered the screen. It's about 4 years old and was in perfect shape before dropping it. I had it in a case but I guess it hit just right to shatter the screen.

Posts: 4232 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
Dang! All I got is during my annual crawl space inspection, guy comes out and says everything looks good, but, by the way you bathtub drain pipe isn't glued to the sewer pipe anymore, and the bath water is just dumping onto you encapsulation barrier. Great, call the handy man, cause, well I don't fucking crawl worth a shit anymore.

"Dude what are you doing" Him, "I am boarding a cruise to the Bahamas, be back 12-23 and can come over on Christmas eve". He did, 15 minutes and $60 later I am fixed, wife is happy she can soak again.

While he's on the way home from his trip, power goes out cause 50 mph wind gusts blow tree limbs and shit down on the power lines. Generator, as PH Paul says, I love you!! It starts up and gets to exercise for 2 plus hours.

Next day get up , low water pressure, I go into the search and destroy mode outside looking for some more shit. Not me this time, whole damned town has low pressure and it is still low while the city is on a search and destroy mission.

Posts: 1571 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
And soon you will have a boil water notice. Trust me.

Posts: 17531 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cat (9 month old kitten) knocked everything off the refrigerator, then went to sleep on it.

Later I went to remover her and she wanted to fight with me. Claws and teeth were out.

I let her alone.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Q sorry to hear about all of that happening, and the loss of your Boxer, 17 years is a good long time to have with one...

Best of luck on the water leak, they are no bueno....

Posts: 24341 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Damn Q

So sorry Frown

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26758 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Even with these actual and near Christmas Eve disasters let us remember the "true reason for the season" .. Not the tree or what is under the tree. ............ Till next year .............. drill sgt.

Posts: 2089 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
So sorry to hear about your pup, Q. I lost mine back in July and it still hurts like it were yesterday. I have no doubt he lived a very happy life.

Posts: 3538 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
9 years ago running some loads through the Dillon on Xmas eve to go out to the range Xmas Morning with friends.
Had a primer flip in the load tube and went to pick it out, instead of dumping the tube.
9 primers went off and I spent 5 and a half hours in the ER.
Didn't lose anything, but got the scars.

Posts: 387 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john crusher:
Had a primer flip in the load tube and went to pick it out, instead of dumping the tube.
9 primers went off and I spent 5 and a half hours in the ER.
Didn't lose anything, but got the scars.

An ER visit from primers? I suppose if 9 of them went off all at once it'd get your attention, but when I was a kid, me and my brothers would whack primers with a ball peen hammer on the basement floor and had a ball. Dad would get pissed for wasting his primers, but he never sent us to the ER.

Posts: 20611 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post