SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Heroin took my friend.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Heroin took my friend. Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted
Said goodbye to my best friend from my high school days today.

He had always had problems with alcohol abuse, which led to a falling out between us when I caught him stealing from me and told him he needed to hit rock bottom. I knew he did all sorts of drugs after, too.

He was in the army before 9/11. Went to Iraq right in the beginning. Was involved in some horrible things...as bad as you can imagine. He was pretty crazy before, but he was never the same after. He was haunted. I didn’t know how to see that back then, I was too naive.

We were inseparable during our teenage years. His mom was my second mom. She realistically influenced me in ways that would later save my life. But this is her second son she has buried in 5 years, the first died from a medical condition, leaving two kids. The third is estranged, and his mom lives alone in poor health.

He had gone to the VA with one of our other friends last week. Finally was convinced to get help. Then the psychiatrist told him he couldn’t be put on any meds to get him off heroin until next month. Witnessed by the friend, who had gotten him a job and thought he was doing him right.

He went ghost after that day, and OD’d four days later.

Today his family held a small private service for him. A very good one, fitting for him. I drove 6 hours one way to tell him bye. It was worth it.

I hadn’t talked to him in some time, as our lives hadn’t been compatible for a few years, but I remember the last message I sent to him...telling him I think of him often and forgave him, and I’d always love him.

I guess it doesn’t get much better than that. I hope he’s finally at peace. He’ll be missed by a lot of people.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My sincerest condolences.

My childhood friend’s older brother went through something similar. He also passed away after a heroin OD after multiple tours.

It’s never easy, and good on you for making hay drive. It may seem like the obvious course to you but many people out there would not have done the same.

----------
The first 100 people to make it out alive...get to live.

Posts: 1277 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Failing to prepare is
preparing to fail.
Picture of SigLaw
posted Hide Post
I am sorry. While it is never easy to lose a friend, that is an especially difficult situation. May your friend Rest In Peace.

Posts: 1359 | Location: Gilbert, AZ | Registered: November 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear! It is an evil drug IMO. I just don't know how you can get started. It's not like everybody doesn't know you will be addicted and turn into a drug addict when you go down that path. Once you are hooked, it does terrible things to your mind and body. Seen plenty of it firsthand myself. Fortunately I have not been touched by anybody close to me.

Hang in there. If it matters, you did the right thing cutting him loose. You just can't help them until they are willing to help themselves.

Posts: 1772 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry for your loss, chongo. It's truly horrible that his mother has now lost two sons and is estranged from the third.

Posts: 7311 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
Perhaps he now knows what good friend he had in you. May he find his peace.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
I'm very sorry to hear it my friend. It is an animal killing way to many people.

My thoughts are with you and his family.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
My condolences to you, my friend.

Posts: 11387 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Condolences. And don’t beat yourself up agonizing over it. People make choices, and unfortunately he made some bad ones early on. Remember the good times.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15579 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flying Sergeant
posted Hide Post
I’m so sorry chongo. You did all you could and then some. It probably meant a lot to get that last message from you.

Posts: 1673 | Location: Waukesha,WI | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
I"m very sorry for your loss Chongo.

Posts: 12921 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I'm terribly sorry.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Very very sorry to read this. Prayers of comfort to his family and friends.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
Very sorry about your friend, as I understand it heroin simply [i]owns[\i] you, very, very few people ever totally break the habit and manage to stay clean.

Posts: 12180 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
I’m so sorry, I lost my youngest brother a few years back. Prayers for ALL involved.

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear this tragic news!

My personal opinion regarding drug trafficking is that those involved in such activities should be tried, found guilty and then promptly hung in the public square!!!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear it, chongo. Awful situation. I’ll be praying for everyone touched by this. Frown

Posts: 17127 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry chongo.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
This is very sad to hear. I'm sorry about the loss of your friend.

Q

Posts: 26385 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Condolences, Chongo.

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post