SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    If you were buying a new “smartphone” this weekend, what would you buy?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you were buying a new “smartphone” this weekend, what would you buy? Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted
Pretty open-ended. Wife and I are still on the iPhone 8 Plus. Hers has a shattered back and charging issues, and mine has started intermittently running out of charge while plugged in. I’m sure these can be repaired, but with everything on our plates right now, we’re both leaning towards replacing them so they don’t fail in the midst of the move this coming Friday.

We’re not committed to Apple, but it’s what we’re used to and have been using since 2010. I haven’t kept up on anything to do with phones in years, and don’t even know where to start. What would you get, and why? We’re on T-Mobile.

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
Go buy an iPhone 12 or 13 as budget permits and don’t look back.

Your already used to it so stick with it.

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5132 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
My transition from an iPhone 8 to a 13 was pretty seamless.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16351 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I went from iphone 7 to the 12 mini. Took a bit getting used to not having a home button.
I wish I waited another month and got the standard sized 13.

I went back and fourth with Samsung Galaxy, and honestly, I don't use phones enough to make any difference with what I use, but iphones are just what i'm familiar with, and my computer is an iMac, so they work together.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
As I’m looking at it, the lack of a home button annoys me, but I guess I’d get used to it. I do not want to use Face ID, though. I’m guessing it’s simple enough to forego that on the newer ones?

I see there is a way to add a home button via the software:

https://youtu.be/UChUAl-P9Ws

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
well ... that would be a transition from the current iPhone SE 2020, to the iPhone mini 13.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I was apprehensive about the lack of a home button, but that lasted all of 5 seconds, and much prefer swiping now.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16351 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
To me, it's two choices: 1) apple; 2) android = google.

While samsung phones seem to be feature rich, and apple is far from perfect, I would buy apple over google every day, every time, hands-down. Apple to me is the lessor of evils and google is the devil. And I'm not really a fan of samsung either (technically, culturally, socially, politically).

I'm not a power user. I have simple usages. I buy the cheapest iphone that meets my needs. And then use them until they break.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Timdogg6:
Go buy an iPhone 12 or 13 as budget permits and don’t look back.

Your already used to it so stick with it.
^^^This. No reason to even waste time looking at an Android phone given what you've been using for the past several years. And I doubt you'll stumble much with the new UI in IOS.

However, if I were shopping for ways to save money, I'd consider a carrier change rather than a hardware change. I went from T-Mobile (where I'd been happy), to Mint Mobile (a MVNO running on T-Mobile's network), saved about $50/month and have seen no changes in my service quality.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I just went from an iPhone 11 to a 13 mini. Couldn’t be happier.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
I just got a Samsung Galaxy S22, and the wife got the latest iPhone.

We both are pleased.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Apple to me is the lessor of evils and google is the devil. And I'm not really a fan of samsung either (technically, culturally, socially, politically).

Wow. Really? They all suck. They're all too expensive and try to manipulate you to use their ecosystem to squeeze the most out of you they can get. I just look at it as "better the devil you know".

Posts: 3382 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
13 Pro, smaller size, but not the mini. Good screen and cameras. Switching to a non-iPhone will have a cost in learning new ways, and settings. I'd stick with it. It's a good product.

Posts: 11387 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
13 Pro, smaller size, but not the mini. Good screen and cameras. Switching to a non-iPhone will have a cost in learning new ways, and settings. I'd stick with it. It's a good product.

I've been Apple all the way for some time. I just recently had a bit of extra cash from the tax refund, so I traded my Xs in on a new 13Pro (not the Max). It is a very nice phone, especially the three camera lenses (regular, wide angle, and telephoto). The screen is beautiful, and I only run it at about half brightness. Battery life is greatly improved over the Xs. I am about to try out the MagSafe charging system, too, with an Anker stand charger due in today.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
As I’m looking at it, the lack of a home button annoys me, but I guess I’d get used to it. I do not want to use Face ID, though. I’m guessing it’s simple enough to forego that on the newer ones?

I see there is a way to add a home button via the software:

https://youtu.be/UChUAl-P9Ws

iPhone SE has a home button and no FaceID and not the size of a billboard.
I was so glad they brought it back and it is not stupid expensive.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25422 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
The wife bought a new Galaxy S22 last month. She really likes it. I am no phone expert but when my daughter and her husband were over looking at it they both kept saying "wow" over and over. They both are iphone users for years..

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I have absolutely no use for Apple products, even though Mrs. Greener has one of their laptops.
we both have Galaxy S22's and we are happy with them

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Well, I tend to run against the flow when it comes to electronics. I have run Linux on my PC for going on two decades, and dearly miss Blackberry. I have no use for Apple as I find it very inflexible.

I have a Pixel 4a, and run a security focused distribution called CalyxOS. No Google apps on my phone at all. The biggest compromise has been having to rework notifications from apps as most are dependent on Play Store for their notifications. Other than that I am content with the ability to anonymously install the apps I want, without having to worry about my data being constantly harvested by Google or Apple.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One True IcePick
Picture of eyrich
posted Hide Post
If Apple, what ever the current iPhone is for the screen size you want.

If Android I'd look at the Samsung "A" series.
A53 and A32
Half the price of the "S"
I don't think most people need the extra RAM and CPU of the flagship phones.

Posts: 859 | Location: IL | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
iPhone. Many years ago I was an android guy but the wife and daughter used iPhone's. I finally made the switch and well, to me, it's a better, more stable platform.

That being said I have a personally owned year old iPhone 12 Pro Max and a recently received iPhone 12 that work issued me (to replace my work issued iPhone 8). Both are great phones and the step up from the 8 to the 12 was very nice.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post