SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    If you were buying a new “smartphone” this weekend, what would you buy?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you were buying a new “smartphone” this weekend, what would you buy? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I used to prefer Samsung Galaxy phones until when I was driving down the highway talking with my son about a current political topic and my phone literally interrupted me out of nowhere and tried to "Correct" my Political incorrectness! Google listens to you ALL THE TIME!

Siri frankly is not as capable as the Google voice assistant but she doesn't start listening until you say "Hey Siri".

Apple privacy isn't perfect but it is far better than Google. Apple is famous for not unlocking phones for investigations and these days I see this as a good thing. I don't have the patience to run a security plan like tigereye313 mentions so I chose the lesser of two evils.

I also run Mac computers and the iPhones do sync up very well with the phones. I still consider the Samsung Galaxy phones but I can't tolerate them listening to every word I say..........

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
As I’m looking at it, the lack of a home button annoys me, but I guess I’d get used to it. I do not want to use Face ID, though. I’m guessing it’s simple enough to forego that on the newer ones?

I see there is a way to add a home button via the software:

https://youtu.be/UChUAl-P9Ws

I got used to the home button being missing from the body of the phone and only software driven in about 5 minutes.

I don't use face ID at all.

iPhones work very well for what I want and that's the way I go.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Economics matters, and some cell companies charge a lot for coverage under the assumption they will be giving 'free' or discounted phones to some customers. Might want to start by seeing if that applies in your case.

Assuming you like T-Mobile, I'd see what they offer re: deals. If you don't like them or aren't too tied to them, and other companies offer good coverage in your area, this would be a good time to see what competitive cell providers might offer to get you to switch.

Could be that your dream phone might be available for a lot less than you thought.

In my case, I spend most of my time in poor-signal areas, and what I want from a phone is primarily good functionality as a phone here in the back country.

For many years I just upgraded to a better Motorola when it came time. Back before Motorola's phone division (Motorola Mobility) got sold from Motorola to Google, and then to a subsidiary of Lenovo, it was known for designing phones with excellent reception

Unfortunately, that is no longer the case. Tried that a couple years ago and nope. Couldn't make calls in areas that had had no problems for years with earlier Motorola phones. Frown

I found my current phone by looking into what chipsets had the best specs on the phone-tech side, and then looked into which brands/models used those chips. At the time, that led me to the Samsung S20 5G Fan Edition.

In the time since I picked that up, I'm sure chipsets have moved on, so if the ability to make calls in low-signal-strength areas is the big deal for you (might well not be) there may well be better phones out there.

So, if I were personally in the market today, I'd start with the chipset info, and check into who is using that on which models. Then I'd check pricing at my wireless carrier (Spectrum Mobile) and unlocked phone sources.

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
I had a company issued iPhone 8 Plus and just recently had them transfer the number over to me since I am no longer working for them.
The provider was T-Mobile, so I stayed with them.

I also transferred my personal number to T-Mobile from Verizon. I had just a cheap 3g flip phone and VZ wanted to raise my monthly rate.

Wound up with 2 iPhone 13s. They had some deal with buy one get one free.

As others mentioned, there is no home button, but that was an easy adjustment.
The facial id for unlocking the phone is pretty convenient.

No regrets getting the 13.
Now to find a decent non-slippery case for it that doesn't add too much bulk.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Stay blue brother…

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
A few months back I switched from a IPhone 6S to a 13 Pro, love it. It is a little larger but not a negative. I'm not much of a techy, probably don't use a quarter of what it can do. The camera always amazes me, it really is what drew me to it.

For a case I'm liking the Otterbox Commuter series, Texas Scrub from here recommended it. If ordering from Amazon be sure to get the authentic one!

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
Be sure and update your post of what you decided to purchase and how you like. Just curious

Posts: 3850 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thank you for this. I like my IPhone 13 but much prefer the button to the swipe

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
I just got a Samsung Galaxy S22, and the wife got the latest iPhone.

We both are pleased.

This is us, though my wife is due for a fruit phone upgrade. I think hers is a 6S

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15285 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
My wife and I each have iPhone 13 Pro models. We also have Apple Watches that sync perfectly. Pictures I take with my iPhone automatically show up on our iPads, Mac and MacBook Pro. It all just works together. I pay at the checkout with ApplePay using my watch. Easy. I'm not a big fan of Apple politics either but the technology just plain works. Oh, and I like Waze on my car's monitor via Apple CarPlay.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
If you can wait a bit the new iPhone 14 will be out in Sept, and there will probably be deals on the 13, and even the new 14 from the major carriers.

I too thought I'd miss the home button, but nope. It's really a non issue as a simple swipe get's you "home" A home button for me at this time is a waste of phone real-estate.

And I know some people don't like face ID but I struggle to figure out why. I love it and I hated fingerprint ID. Today's face ID is considered more secure than passwords or fingerprint ID, and Apple's implementation is excellent. Reads in near total darkness and does it very quickly. I've set up several ID's, such as with a hat on, with sunglasses on, with reading glasses on etc and it's never failed to work as intended. But hey, if you don't like it, just don't use it with the alternative being entering a pass code every time you want to use your phone.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
quote:
As I’m looking at it, the lack of a home button annoys me

I was annoyed at this also, but after a few weeks I realized I prefer it without a home button.

I was then carrying a work phone with the button and a personal phone without. Now that my work phone has been replaced I'm carrying 2 phones without the home button, all is right in the universe.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigarms229,

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4521 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
iPhone SE

Cheaper, and not feeling the love for face ID

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Galaxy S22 is a feature rich quality phone.
I am biased against Apple but I am sure it is a decent product especially if you like to be led by the hand.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
As I’m looking at it, the lack of a home button annoys me, but I guess I’d get used to it. I do not want to use Face ID, though. I’m guessing it’s simple enough to forego that on the newer ones?

I felt the same about no home button and the face recognition, both have proved to be well worth the change, hell the phone even recognizes me on the motorcycle wearing a helmet and smoking a cigar. Go figure.

Iphone 13, great screen, camera, faster.

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I was long a member of the Droidverse, but about the time my LeEco Pro 727 started to die (worn out battery), my wife won an iPhone 10s in a raffle and gave it to me (too big for her purse, she said). I started using it, and still do. It was a pain to relearn all the conventions and assumptions inherent in the two worlds, and I still miss not being able to get a terminal with a # prompt. When I switch to my Android tablet, it is another pain.

So, my advice is to stick with what you are used to so as to not have to go through a painful learning curve.

Posts: 6455 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
wife will be upgrading from whatever older iphone she has to a 13 soon,
and I have been having some account change issues (switched from personal to a group business account ) That need to be resolved so I can switch my Pixel 3xl to a 6 pro

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Timdogg6:
Go buy an iPhone 12 or 13 as budget permits and don’t look back.

Your already used to it so stick with it.

Right here 100%. Low drama, little if anything new to learn. It’ll do more but if that were a big deal you likely would have already updated twice.

The newest cameras are crazy capable in comparison. I’d certainly entertain the higher end camera models.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5149 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick-SP2022:

No regrets getting the 13.
Now to find a decent non-slippery case for it that doesn't add too much bulk.

I’ve been very pleased with the Pelican case for a few years now, it’s on my 10 model. Kevlar looking shell nice amount of rubber to keep it lodged in pocket. I had the Otter Commuter no real issues, it failed after several years but lasted better than I expected. The Pelican is more robust without being overkill, I’ll buy another for sure.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5149 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
iPhone 13. I just got a 13 Pro in the last month or so. FWIW, I like Rhinoshield for a phone case

Posts: 13237 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post