SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Daughter Caught Plagiarizing. Punnishment?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Daughter Caught Plagiarizing. Punnishment? Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dave7378:
Commend her for coming clean but the lapse in judgement merits punishment. IMO it will only reinforce the lesson learned. These are hard decisions that good parents have to make.

^^^^
Wise advice.

Posts: 12477 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
Thanks to all who took the time to contribute. All of it was genuinely appreciated, and all of it was considered.
<snippage>
We had this conversation as a family. She's very sensitive, and it was both difficult and emotional. It's obvious she is beginning to understand the impact this is having. Life will not be normal for quite while in terms of how her teachers and her peers on the honor court view her. This type of thing is supposed to be confidential, but none of us have any illusions about that. Waterworks really started when I informed her she would carry this poor decision for the rest of her life, but that it was up to her whether that becomes a positive or a negative, and I believe that. Every child is different, and we made a sincere effort to strike the right note on this one. Time will tell, it always does.

Well done Dad!! Your family put in the work throughout her life and it shows.
You, your wife and daughter addressed it, came up with a plan and continue to raise a good kid.
Kudos to you and yours! {{thumbs up}} Smile

Good Lord I wish more parents had *half* this much involvement in their child’s life. When they didn’t, they got to meet me at work as a medic on a fire truck. That is never good.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife and I have told our daughter ,since she was old enough to understand the concept,that if she got into "trouble" or did something wrong she should ALWAYS tell us first....before we found out from school etc. I never promised her a free pass for being forthcoming. But, I did promise that it would be less severe if I heard it from her first.

She has done this on several occasions and we held true to our word.

Your daughter obviously has learned the value of admitting to mistakes/failures (like we ALL make!). She learned that from you and your wife which means y'all did something RIGHT as parents. Good job!

Posts: 809 | Location: Georgia | Registered: August 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good job. Well handled. Something she will think about often as she goes through college.

Posts: 2134 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Haven't read all the replies...TL;DR.

I would have her write a [short] research paper on the importance of citations and references for publications. If she's going to get a graduate degree (and it sounds like that's the road she will travel), she'll be writing a thesis and have to defend it. This will serve as a reminder of what got her in past trouble. Have her make copies for her teacher and honor board.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
spoke with a teacher of 33 years and a parent of 40 years.

he said a non confrontational , nor accusatory conversation about how why she made her decision.

and about what should happen going forward.

He also said that in all of his classes , it would have been an automatic f , for the class

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54719 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post