SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Magnet fishing for a beginner
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Magnet fishing for a beginner Login/Join 
Picture of GarandGuy
posted
Anyone here do any magnet fishing? What magnet do you recommend?

Any tips or suggestions for a beginner?

Looking at getting into this, something for me and my oldest son to do together.

-----------------------------------------------
What's the sense in working hard if you never get to play?

Posts: 1074 | Location: On the outskirts of Richmond | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
100’ of cord. Magnet from Lowe’s….maybe a hundred pound pull. That’s what I did.took the kid to a dock and a river where people fish.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11269 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
There is a number of youtubes on this. Amazon has all kinds of magnets you can read the reviews. I like like using .095 or .105 round trimmer line.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
I watch a guy that goes by Bondi Treasure Hunter on facebook and i think also youtube. He is a hoot and really gets after it with some strong magnets.

Think i have watched hours of his magnet fishing videos. 100’ds of bikes, motorcycles, scooters, safes, coins and tons of junk.

Posts: 18031 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My son is a fearless magnet fisherman, trolling the waters around NOLA. So far he has recovered 2 pistols and a safe, as well as all kinds of trash. He get his supplies from Amazon. I fear it is a matter of time before an alligator eats his magnet. And him , too.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
So the advice is summed up as "bring enough magnet?" I suspect much of the "catch" is "released" right back in the lake for the next guy to find.

Posts: 6452 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post