SIGforum
Magnet fishing for a beginner

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/3470078584

October 13, 2021, 09:48 PM
GarandGuy
Magnet fishing for a beginner
Anyone here do any magnet fishing? What magnet do you recommend?

Any tips or suggestions for a beginner?

Looking at getting into this, something for me and my oldest son to do together.

-----------------------------------------------
What's the sense in working hard if you never get to play?
October 13, 2021, 10:01 PM
MikeinNC
100’ of cord. Magnet from Lowe’s….maybe a hundred pound pull. That’s what I did.took the kid to a dock and a river where people fish.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker
October 13, 2021, 11:02 PM
Jelly
There is a number of youtubes on this. Amazon has all kinds of magnets you can read the reviews. I like like using .095 or .105 round trimmer line.
October 13, 2021, 11:54 PM
Mustang-PaPa
I watch a guy that goes by Bondi Treasure Hunter on facebook and i think also youtube. He is a hoot and really gets after it with some strong magnets.

Think i have watched hours of his magnet fishing videos. 100’ds of bikes, motorcycles, scooters, safes, coins and tons of junk.
October 14, 2021, 12:08 AM
YooperSigs
My son is a fearless magnet fisherman, trolling the waters around NOLA. So far he has recovered 2 pistols and a safe, as well as all kinds of trash. He get his supplies from Amazon. I fear it is a matter of time before an alligator eats his magnet. And him , too.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
October 14, 2021, 08:46 AM
architect
So the advice is summed up as "bring enough magnet?" I suspect much of the "catch" is "released" right back in the lake for the next guy to find.