SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Magnet fishing for a beginner

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Magnet fishing for a beginner Login/Join 
Picture of GarandGuy
posted
Anyone here do any magnet fishing? What magnet do you recommend?

Any tips or suggestions for a beginner?

Looking at getting into this, something for me and my oldest son to do together.

-----------------------------------------------
What's the sense in working hard if you never get to play?

Posts: 1024 | Location: On the outskirts of Richmond | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
100’ of cord. Magnet from Lowe’s….maybe a hundred pound pull. That’s what I did.took the kid to a dock and a river where people fish.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.”
― Robert A. Heinlein

“ You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

Posts: 8825 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
There is a number of youtubes on this. Amazon has all kinds of magnets you can read the reviews. I like like using .095 or .105 round trimmer line.

Posts: 2248 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
I watch a guy that goes by Bondi Treasure Hunter on facebook and i think also youtube. He is a hoot and really gets after it with some strong magnets.

Think i have watched hours of his magnet fishing videos. 100’ds of bikes, motorcycles, scooters, safes, coins and tons of junk.

Posts: 17048 | Location: DFW | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My son is a fearless magnet fisherman, trolling the waters around NOLA. So far he has recovered 2 pistols and a safe, as well as all kinds of trash. He get his supplies from Amazon. I fear it is a matter of time before an alligator eats his magnet. And him , too.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 12505 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
So the advice is summed up as "bring enough magnet?" I suspect much of the "catch" is "released" right back in the lake for the next guy to find.

Posts: 4638 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post