SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New Refrigerator recommendations
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Refrigerator recommendations Login/Join 
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted
My LG french door bottom freezer just celebrated its 10 year birthday by croaking.
A new fridge is required.

I would like SS, water and ice through the door.
My Wife prefers the bottom freezer and french doors, I prefer a side by side.
We are NOT locked on the style.
We don't need the largest capacity we are replacing a 34cu.ft. unit now, something around 28cu.ft. would be fine.

Mostly need recommendations about reliability.
Would like to stay below $2000.

Suggestions?

Posts: 4699 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The one thing I've heard is don't buy Samsung or LG. Don't walk away, run.

Posts: 1332 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Be sure there's a large flat space at eye level for posting targets.
_______

Edited to add: We've had a very dependable Sub-Zero brand for ~5 years and a beverage only Samsung refrig on the patio that has been flawless.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RichardC,

Posts: 16208 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
We have a Samsung, which is a good fridge. However, our ice machine started to flake out. The repair place told us they will not touch Samsung ice makers, since they will just break down again before too long.

Heard really bad things about LG, bit I have no personal experience with them.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21928 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
Check Bosch. It would fit the bill based on your wife's preference.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1500 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
The one and only fridge ive ever owned that wasnt GE/Whirlpool was a Samsung and it was a piece of shit.

A wise man once said "stay away from Samsung and LG appliances" or something like that...

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9750 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Schmelby:

I have an LG and the ice maker/water dispenser crapped out when it was only a few years old.
Had a local repair guy check it out, bad mother board. Replacement status (at the time):not available at that time.
Repair man said that lack of parts for LG was a very common and Samsung was almost as bad.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4247 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gjgalligan:
quote:

I have an LG and the ice maker/water dispenser crapped out when it was only a few years old.
Had a local repair guy check it out, bad mother board. Replacement status (at the time):not available at that time.
Repair man said that lack of parts for LG was a very common and Samsung was almost as bad.

Yes. The repairman will say I have to order your part, I'll have it in two or three weeks and I'll replace
your defective part with the same defective part. Lather, Rinse, Repeat.
My wife's Ex was a GE repair man. I actually got along great with him. He said GE or Whirlpool, but that was
ten or fifteen years ago.
I think there might be a class action suit against LG and Samsung.

Posts: 1332 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
Never anything Whirlpool. Part by part they replaced our ice maker parts until he just replaced the unit. Still doesn't work right.

Microwave, Washer, sons microwave...all broke. NO Whirlpool.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1439 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Friends don’t let friends buy Samsung…

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 11228 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
Friends don’t let friends buy Samsung…

That's funny. I got into it years ago with a best friend and wouldn't let him drive home drunk.

posted Hide Post
I have a counter depth Whirlpool 6.5 years old and works perfect. Would buy another if this crapped out today. No Samsung, LG for me.

Posts: 456 | Location: Kansas | Registered: August 28, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
My Kenmore fridge is going on over 26 years now. Knock on wood.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30954 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
in Feb. 2023 we replaced our fridge with a GE 27.6 cf Bottom Freezer French Door, model PVD28BYNFS. It was about $2,800.

We like it a lot so far.

About a year prior, my brother and his wife picked up a Samsung that did not have working ice and they could not fix it. Multiple repair visits. It got to the point that it should have gone back and gotten replaced, but they ended up keeping the fridge and getting a full refund. So free fridge without working ice maker.

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 5025 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:

^^^THIS

I am on an appliance page (subreddit) on Reddit and every single day there's posts about "my LG fridge quit working after a year" "Why is my Samsung fridge not working" "Help, my LG fridge won't cool anymore". All the problems seem to be these two brands.

LG and Samsung may make good TV's and phones but apparently all their refrigerators are pieces of shit

Posts: 34642 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve495:
in Feb. 2023 we replaced our fridge with a GE 27.6 cf Bottom Freezer French Door, model PVD28BYNFS. It was about $2,800.
We like it a lot so far.

I have the same fridge only it's about 5 years older. it is a great fridge and stands up to teenagers very well. looks great and works great. no complaints.

Posts: 236 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember back in the 70's grandma had a fridge that was 40 years old.
Nowadays you can buy a new fridge and you expect it to last 8 years if you're lucky.
The manufacturers make more money this way and the bankers make a lot of money on interest without doing any work on loans they issue out of thin air.

Posts: 19 | Registered: June 02, 2024Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
I have had a sub zero since about 1992, I'm getting ready to replace it with another sub zero. Very expensive but we make a lot of steel for wolf/sub zero. About 15 years ago the freezer stopped working, I was very upset because no one local could/would work on them so I complained to them. They flew a technician in from Wisconsin and he replace the entire system, both freezer and refrigerator components, basically made it like new at no charge. I will reward them with another purchase.

Posts: 1593 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I usually buy Whirlpool refrigerators, or any of their brands depending on the features availability and sales.

I have a French door with an extra outside draw with outside the door icemaker water.

One is Whirlpool and one is Kitchen Aid and looks identical except the handle is slightly different.

My second choice is Frigidaire/Electrolux

I have not had a problem with any of these brands.

Posts: 4786 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
I have a Kitchen Aid (Whirlpool) and would buy another in a heart beat. My washer and dryer are Maytag (Whirlpool) as well. I'm pretty sold on their stuff.

GE is now owned by Haier (a Chinese company) and their quality/service has dipped a little. My oven/micorwave and range are both newer GE and when the microwave went on the fritz two years after puchase it was a bit of a pain to get it serviced under warranty.

So I vote for a Whirlpool product.

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4253 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post