SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New Refrigerator recommendations
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Refrigerator recommendations Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
The whirlpool was stainless steel. Only had it 24 hours or so. It showed every smudge or print and was very difficult to clean. Like get a buffer out and a polish difficult.

Posts: 1481 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Too bad you can't find one of these anymore.

Posts: 20610 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by Schmelby:
I bought my house 30 years ago and it came with a fridge in the laundry room the former owner kept half barrels of beer in. Open the door and freezer in the top I have to thaw out twice a year. The nameplate says Rangaire and I'll bet it's 45 or 50 years old. Keeps my diet pepsi and bottled water ice cold. They don't make em like they used to.

I'd like to see how much electricity it uses compared to a new one. Bet you it's 2-4 times as much.

10 years or so ago I looked at a house for sale that was built in 1954. The original refrigerator was still in use, in the basement, and she said she defrosts it 2, maybe 3 times a year. I doubt it uses much, if any, more than new self defrosting refrigerators. BUT you have to defrost it.

As far as the Korean brands, 5 years ago my daughter and SIL bought a Samsung and while it ran ok it was pretty poorly designed. Things like shelves broke, 3 tablespoons of water ran out in your glass before ice started dropping, etc. Then the ice maker quit, so in less than a year they moved it to the garage and bought an LG and it's been trouble free.

Fast forward to 3 years ago my friend Barb was looking at refrigerators to replace the one that had been in the house she bought 21 years ago. It was still cooling but was noisy, had to run almost continuously, she had to rig supports for 2 of the shelves, and the ice maker had quit. The appliance manager at Lowes suggested an LG. She questioned him saying she'd heard about a lot of problems with them. He said that had indeed been the case particularly regarding availability of parts which was improving when covid hit, then they couldn't get parts for any appliances. But recently parts availability has improved and LG is no worse than Whirlpool or any others. Also they seem to have perfected the problems they had early on with the inverter compressors, which really are a superior technology. So Barb bought the LG and as it turns out is the same model as my daughters.

It's only been 3 years but so far there's been no problems with it at all. Ice and filtered water in the door work fine, the shelves and doors seem solid, and she loves the variable compressor that's practically inaudible even when standing right beside it.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7288 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since this is the refrigerator section, any recommendations for a refrigerator (with or without freezer) that’s no more than 24” or 25” wide? Height is not important since the ceiling’s 9’ tall, nor is depth, just width. At least 10 or 12 cubic feet would be nice (not looking for any of those 4 or 5 foot dorm styles). Suggestions?

Posts: 1224 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Schmelby:
I bought my house 30 years ago and it came with a fridge in the laundry room the former owner kept half barrels of beer in. Open the door and freezer in the top I have to thaw out twice a year. The nameplate says Rangaire and I'll bet it's 45 or 50 years old. Keeps my diet pepsi and bottled water ice cold. They don't make em like they used to.

And it has 18 cups in the door to put eggs in, can't figure out what I could put in there.

Posts: 1332 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Very timely thread for me - unfortunately.

Our LG refrigerator died without warning today. It has been a POS from Day One. In fact, I've told the wife since then that I would not even consider repairing it. it's going to the dump.

What blows my mind is that both Consumer Reports and Wirecutter rank LG at the top of their rankings. All that does is make me question their competence or their integrity. I trust the folks here on Sigforum way more than those reviewers.

Posts: 6580 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 08 Cayenne:
I have had a sub zero since about 1992, I'm getting ready to replace it with another sub zero. Very expensive but we make a lot of steel for wolf/sub zero. About 15 years ago the freezer stopped working, I was very upset because no one local could/would work on them so I complained to them. They flew a technician in from Wisconsin and he replace the entire system, both freezer and refrigerator components, basically made it like new at no charge. I will reward them with another purchase.

Talk about epic customer service.

Posts: 6580 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have had 2 GE Profile's over the past 20yrs, first one we left with the house we sold; we liked it so much we purchased a second one after moving into the new house.

LG washer/driers we've had good luck with, same also with LG TV's; I believe other brands license them to make their home wash products. Wouldn't buy a fridge/freezer or, dish washer from them though, other brands do a better job in those categories. As for Samsung, best sticking to their mobile devices and TV's but, not kitchen appliances; I don't need my fridge to resemble my phone. If I had the money, I'd consider Fisher-Paykel, solid fridge, really nice dishwashers and stoves.

Posts: 15084 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsmccull:
Since this is the refrigerator section, any recommendations for a refrigerator (with or without freezer) that’s no more than 24” or 25” wide? Height is not important since the ceiling’s 9’ tall, nor is depth, just width. At least 10 or 12 cubic feet would be nice (not looking for any of those 4 or 5 foot dorm styles). Suggestions?

Bought this Frigidaire a couple years ago, may be a bit larger than you're looking for though.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fr...FFHT1425VV/310378589

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6373 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
Very timely thread for me - unfortunately.

Our LG refrigerator died without warning today. It has been a POS from Day One. In fact, I've told the wife since then that I would not even consider repairing it. it's going to the dump.

What blows my mind is that both Consumer Reports and Wirecutter rank LG at the top of their rankings. All that does is make me question their competence or their integrity. I trust the folks here on Sigforum way more than those reviewers.

I experience the same head scratching when I watched many YouTube reviews on current Fridges.
They all seem to rave about the quality of the LG models. Either they, and the repair studies they quote are paid for by LG or they are flat out lying.
This is why I posted the original question here.

I contacted a independent repair guy about the repair of the LG I have. He was out of town so I told him about the symptoms I'm having with the LG.He said immediately that the symptoms add up to a bad compressor and it was not worth repair.
I asked about coming out to confirm his diagnosis and he replied that it would be $100, but he said he was very sure about his over the phone diagnosis.

I have another fridge up stairs that I dragged downstairs to put all the food in until we could decide on what to buy. I will unplug the LG and let it sit for a day or so I can see if the coils might have frozen and caused the problems.

Posts: 4699 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:

Bought this Frigidaire a couple years ago, may be a bit larger than you're looking for though.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fr...FFHT1425VV/310378589

Close, but just a couple inches too wide. Trying to cram it in a utility room with washer and dryer and anything over 25” blocks the dryer door from opening fully.

Posts: 1224 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My current opinion
In order to meet energy standards and push profit up, manufacturers have reduced the size of the compressors. They also have widened the tolerances. Thus, a refrigerator will cool to 36 and shut off, then turn back on at 42 to repeat cycle. Most manufacturers will not list the temperature the fridge will cool to and hold.

FDA specs food cooled to 40 or below. Freezer at zero. At max, my fridge is "holding" 37 and +10 in the freezer.

My 34 year old fridge in the 85+ degree garages holds 32. It will cool out there to 28. Drinks are noticeably colder. Personal opinion is that the fridge should be adjustable from 32 to 40 degrees and there is no reason a fridge should be able to be set to hold 44. But they are. It makes the energy numbers look better, get them an energy star rating for marketing purposes and lowers the cost of the unit. They just don't perform as well or last very long anymore. And besides, nobody ever checks their fridge temperature.

More expensive fridges can have single compressors and multiple evaporator coils or multiple compressors and multiple coils. More failure points but the same issue with undersize compressors. Maybe more consistent performance.

GE repair tech just left. His opinion is most his repairs are water related. High/low pressure or hard water causing ice maker/water dispenser trouble.

Whatever you buy, don't expect historical service life. No warranties past 5 years. Expected life is 5 to 8.

Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
My 1980 GE fridge is still going strong

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6409 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
We went out looking at refrigerators last night. Appliance salesmen are just like car salesmen.

The first place we went to, I told the salesguy we didn't want to see anything by LG or Samsung. He immediately starts arguing that Samsung is a great brand, they had some issues but have rectified them, blah, blah, blah. No surprise, they had more LGs and Samsungs than any other brand.

We had decided we wanted one of the "French" style 4-drawer type fridges. We've been very happy with our Bosch dishwasher, so I asked if they had a Bosch fridge in that 4-drawer configuration. 'Sorry', he says, 'Bosh doesn't make one. But, we have another nice Bosch model'.

When we got hone, the first thing I did was go on the Bosch website and, surprise, surprise, they have a couple of different 4-drawer models.
Then I checked the Costco website. They had a Bosch we liked, so we ordered it online. No sales BS, free delivery, free installation, and free haul away of the POS LG.

Happy wife, happy life. Razz

posted Hide Post
The appliance store guy here was pushing LG. May be getting kick backs

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Are you a Costco member? Yeah I know like Toyotas and Glocks, it's a Costco suggestion.

One of the pluses about buying appliances and electronics at Costco is the Concierge program, if you have issues with a device you don't call LG< Samsung, Hi-Fat Electronics, you call Costco and they setup all the contacts with the manufacturing company.

I can attest that those companies jump when Costco's Concierge group calls, there is no hem-hawing around or dealing with language barriers, that alone is worth having in your pocket.

They also deliver, remove, install and take away any old appliances, which in the case of built in ovens and dishwashers etc is really nice.

They are also having some Costco Direct/June Savings going on at this time, you can drill down the brand, type, finish etc.

The Costco Link

Posts: 24341 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Are you a Costco member?

Yes. We went out to a couple of appliance stores, but on the way home I remembered Costco. We bought our kitchen range through them and it is a nice benefit of the Costco membership.