SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New Refrigerator recommendations
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Refrigerator recommendations Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Last time I needed a refrigerator I went to Lowes. They had a great assortment on the floor. I made my selection and they said "we don't have that one in stock, the floor model is not for sale, and we don't know when more will come in". I made a second selection and they said the same thing. I finally had to just ask which of the ones on display are actually in stock.

Hope you have better luck when you finally make a decision.

Phu Bai, Vietnam, 68-69
Baghdad, Iraq, 04-05

Posts: 41 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: April 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eagle0199:
Last time I needed a refrigerator I went to Lowes. They had a great assortment on the floor. I made my selection and they said "we don't have that one in stock, the floor model is not for sale, and we don't know when more will come in". I made a second selection and they said the same thing. I finally had to just ask which of the ones on display are actually in stock.

Hope you have better luck when you finally make a decision.

Lowes is the very last place I'd ever buy a fridge. This is where you want to buy from a local appliance shop if at all possible.

OP: We got GE Cafe appliances in 2022 and everything has been great so far. Someone mentioned that they are owed by Haier but everything we bought was built in Kentucky which came in handy during that time when it was really bad supply chain issues and people were waiting 1 year+ for appliances especially the ones built overseas.

Posts: 34642 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 20+ year old Kitchenaid that runs like a champ. Kitchenaid is buy it for life.

Here are xd45man's Buy It For Life Brands:
Kitchenaid
Maytag
La-Z-Boy
Sig Sauer
Springfield Armory
Beretta
Rolex
Sebago Docksides
Victorinox
Polo Ralph Lauren
KA-BAR
Weber

I'm sure there are more.

Posts: 803 | Location: Crestview Florida | Registered: July 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not sure a reliable refrigerator is made anymore.
Buy two cheap and hope you can keep one running ?

GE spun off their repair - now Bodewell.
First service tech was a joke. Second one is ordering a conrol board and evap fan. Top freezer at 11 months old.
Costco doubles factory warranty to two years. I think all fridges from HD, Lowes, Costco etc come from the same warehouse and at least here, 2/3 delivery people are borderline. Also, costco allows 90 day returns. I sent the first two back within days because the max cooling was 40 degrees (One was a Midea and one a Whirpool)

Posts: 1481 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ltz400:
quote:
Originally posted by steve495:
in Feb. 2023 we replaced our fridge with a GE 27.6 cf Bottom Freezer French Door, model PVD28BYNFS. It was about $2,800.
We like it a lot so far.

I have the same fridge only it's about 5 years older. it is a great fridge and stands up to teenagers very well. looks great and works great. no complaints.

We have a similar GE fridge that we purchased in 2020 (GFE28GYNBFS) that's been perfect so far. It replaced a 17 year old GE side by side that's still running in the basement.

Posts: 1820 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Just underwent a kitchen refresh and got new appliances to replace the 30-year old original equipment when we built house.

Purchased new GE frig to replace the original GE frig. As we are in Louisville, the GE Appliance factory here did the frig.

As for stove/range/oven replaced the Jenn-Air and the Maytag dishwasher with KitchenAide versions.

One thing we did find out when we went to the appliance store (not Lowe’s nor Home Depot) was that Amana®, Whirlpool®, Maytag®, KitchenAid® and JennAir® -- have become trusted household names that live under the Whirlpool Corporation umbrella Whirlpool Corp. Whirlpool could be best described as the General Motors of the appliance industry; different brands with different levels of features, but pretty much same product lines.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2808 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought my house 30 years ago and it came with a fridge in the laundry room the former owner kept half barrels of beer in. Open the door and freezer in the top I have to thaw out twice a year. The nameplate says Rangaire and I'll bet it's 45 or 50 years old. Keeps my diet pepsi and bottled water ice cold. They don't make em like they used to.

Posts: 1332 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Schmelby:
I bought my house 30 years ago and it came with a fridge in the laundry room the former owner kept half barrels of beer in. Open the door and freezer in the top I have to thaw out twice a year. The nameplate says Rangaire and I'll bet it's 45 or 50 years old. Keeps my diet pepsi and bottled water ice cold. They don't make em like they used to.

I'd like to see how much electricity it uses compared to a new one. Bet you it's 2-4 times as much.

Posts: 34642 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I’ll echo the warnings about Samsung. Not only are their fridges crap, they jerk you around on warranty issues hoping you’ll give up.

Posts: 13843 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I was over a friend's house recently and go to get a beer out of his new basement fridge and it's a freaking Samsung.

I told him good luck and don't be surprised if it dies within 2 years, he seemed shocked. Totally clueless about all the never-ending issues they and LG have.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:

I'd like to see how much electricity it uses compared to a new one. Bet you it's 2-4 times as much.

I'll bet it does but I don't care. Products that are built to last these days are few and far between. They design
flaws on purpose. My oldest brother was an engineer, worked for defence contractors,radar systems for fighter jets. The
story he told me was, put 30 people in a completley dark room, give each one a flashlight and a shotgun. Who's going to
be the first one to turn on their flashlight? LOL

Posts: 1332 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a Frigidaire about 5 years ago and am not not happy with it. It has the little plugs on the side wall to hold the glass shelves up and a couple ripped right off the wall. The Whirlpool we had prior was much better and will be getting one those next.

Posts: 7087 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
After years of fighting with Samsung we are enjoying our new Frigidaire Gallery french four door WITHOUT ice in the door.

One of the higher rated ones out there right now and we concur. We have this exact model.

https://youtu.be/V5pKcfJ9M28?si=qQ47KFMXSONtKPFh

0:01

Posts: 4286 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For my money, it is Kitchen Aid

Posts: 6717 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
We bought a GE refrigerator with water and ice in the door in 2015 or 16. We started having trouble with the icemaker after the warranty was gone and they wanted to replace the whole door due to lack of replacement parts. $1000 was the quote so I thanked the repairman and sent him on his way. Consumer Reports used to warn about the problems of indoor water and icemakers and now I believe them and believe I’ll try a different brand next time.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2166 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I got this one from Costco and its been fantastic. Significantly better than their washers/dryers.

I middle drawer can be set to different temperatures. I keep it on deli, so it keep my meat/drinks on the verge of freezing.

https://www.samsung.com/us/hom...teel-rf28r7201sr-aa/

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7161 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I'm loyal to Whirlpool appliances but am disappointed in a 28 cu ft WP sxs we bought 3 years ago. Ice maker is built in the freezer door and if it goes south the complete door must be replaced to the tune of over $1000. My last WP sxs was 15 years old and still working fine but we left it behind when we moved. Ice maker replacement was under $100 and plug and play. New one has had one service call and ice maker is working but I don't trust it.

Posts: 4828 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

They don't make em like they used to.
No, they don't.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31451 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a GE profile for 19 years, gave it away when we remodeled and now have a Bosch french/bottom freezer with inside water, no ice dispenser. We have Whrilpool upper freezer/lower fridge in the basement that is 15 years old with interior water dispenser. All models are cabinet depth. Never need a repair on any of them. I would clean the coils yearly.
I do like the Bosch, but they're not large capacity. It's a tall model so get measurements if you're replacing/going-for a built-in look..

P229R - 9mm
Kahr PM9

Posts: 61 | Location: Pocono Mountains, PA | Registered: April 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the advice.
I have owned MANY refrigerators over the years.
Besides the LG that I posted about replacement, I have several older fridges in the house (30year old Amana and a 10 year old Frigidaire) and a Bosch counter depth in my Motorhome probably 14 years old and built like a tank.
All these run great though I finally unplugged the old Amana.
I don't feel I can judge new vs old anymore because the new stuff will not last like the old. This is why I ask about current production brands.
I did get 10 trouble free years out of the LG that needs replacement now. I paid over $3500 for that fridge 10 years ago, I won't make that mistake again for that kind of lifespan vs cost.

One new question, I have started looking on line at replacements. I see several models from different manufacturers that advertise fingerprint proof Stainless Steel finish. I'm not sure what that means.
All the appliances I have in the kitchen are true SS. I have noticed that some of the newer fridges that state they are SS actually look like a painted grey appearance not actual SS.
Is this what the manufactures call finger print proof SS?

Posts: 4699 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post