SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you remember Ignatz Schwinn and a famous motto of the company ?
Page 1 2 3 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Do you remember Ignatz Schwinn and a famous motto of the company ? Login/Join 
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
quote:
Originally posted by Tuckerrnr1:
Something like "The sweet taste of a bargain sours before the long lasting taste of quality" or something like that?
Yes ! This is part of what I heard. If it dont show up I will ask next weekend and write it down. The rest of you guys are making me laugh.. Big Grin

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.” This quote is attributed to Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3508 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Report This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Had numerous Schwinns growing up, the last being my older brother's hand-me-down (it sucked being the youngest of seven) Continental 10 speed. Great bikes though. I rode them delivering papers and my first real job ever was in a bike shop (Wheaton's Cycle and Toy...still in business since 1918) tuning them up, repairing them, and truing wheels...among other things. Then, I rode that Continental to work for a whole summer bussing tables until I saved up $350 for my first car...a '70 Cutlass.

Great memories.

I do remember my Schwinn 2 speed came from Weiser's Sporting Goods in Anaheim Ca. So did my first Remington 725. A 270. And my first good ball glove. My good bat came from Luby's in Fullerton. I still have the bat. A Nelson Fox signature Louisville Slugger

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6320 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Report This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
This was my first Schwinn bike. About age 6 or 7. I loved this bike.

Fun and zippy, but an extra lot of pedaling to get anywhere!

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Report This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hamden106:
Both ads from about 1960-61 on back of Donald Duck comic books

This is the one I had with the 2 speed axle

That seems like a lot of money for 1960-61. I did the inflation calculator thing and found that it’s the equivalent of $580 plus bucks in our play money of today. Eek

No wonder I rode a Monkey Wards Hawthorne instead of a Schwinn, for my first bike.

Posts: 26932 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Report This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
I was thinking that it was "Ride it like you Stole it"

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8378 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Report This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
A childhood friend's dad worked for Huffy and he and his brothers all test rode the prototype new styles. I was very envious of the 5-speed Muscle Bike. "Roll bar", banana seat, hi-rise handlebars and a 5 speed shifter on the center tube.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Report This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Had one of these growing up.

Shoulda kept it. Orange Krates are on eBay for $1700 and up?!?!

The slick on the back was excellent for providing locomotion for a string of ice-skaters when SW Michigan roads would ice up. Would pull 4-5 skaters around and whip around the corners to see who could stay vertical...most actually did! Good times!

Posts: 15033 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Report This Post
Picture of Dbltap
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Like others, my days as a kid were spent on a bike. It was freedom! I now ride my Townie along the lake shore and every time I throw my leg over it, I revert to being 12 years old again. I mainly rode the poor kids bike. A Huffy.
And I still don't wear a helmet!

My two cousins got Stingrays for Christmas in 68.
I wanted one for my birthday in 69 so bad I could taste it.
I got a red Huffy instead Frown. The dejection memory is still vivid. Insult and injury were those uber cool Stingrays living right next door. Not long after The Rolling Stones memorialized my youthful anguish.

Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
"Schwinn, quality wheelies for years."

Mid/late-60's I had this Sting-Ray. Everything stripped off that was not needed for weight savings. Flat slick in the back (with red stripe.) We rode all around the neighborhoods, met in the mornings on a back road we had measured off and had wheelie contests for hours, kids from all around lined the road. My best was 500', good times.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3795 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Report This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
Stingray as a little kid.

Now I'm a big kid with two Schwinn frames that are you "go-to" road bikes (Tempo with the Columbus Tenax tubing, Le Tour with some very nice double-butted CroMo), both Chicago-made.

I miss the Schwinn that used to be.

Posts: 2466 | Registered: January 01, 2004Report This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hjs157:
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
quote:
Originally posted by Tuckerrnr1:
Something like "The sweet taste of a bargain sours before the long lasting taste of quality" or something like that?
Yes ! This is part of what I heard. If it dont show up I will ask next weekend and write it down. The rest of you guys are making me laugh.. Big Grin

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.” This quote is attributed to Benjamin Franklin
This may be half of it so I will write it down and post it next week. If I see Mike tomorrow, I will get it then.

Posts: 17905 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
A Nelson Fox signature Louisville Slugger

Got to see Nellie play with the Sox as a kid. Aparicio and Fox great combination.

Posts: 17258 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Report This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
"All you want to do is ride around Sally, ride, Sally, ride."

Seems legit.

Until my wife corrected me, I thought this may been in reference to Sally Ride and the challenges she faced.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Report This Post