SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Frozen pizza....I'm lost
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Frozen pizza....I'm lost Login/Join 
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
I’m very much a DiGornio or Freschetta fan. I like both of them more than Papa Murphy’s. It might be the sauce, but I’ve never been impressed with any Papa Murphy’s pizza I’ve had.

A local brand, The Dish Stuffed Pizza, use to have a restaurant where I could get Chicago Deep Dish freshly made, but they went out of business when their landlord tried to force them to pay 3x more for rent. They went into the frozen pizza business and it’s about the only Chicago deep dish I can get in my area.

Posts: 4204 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I have not had a frozen pizza in years. My best friend tells me Aldi's makes a good one.

Posts: 5627 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Funny story, while in Italy for a wedding, a bunch of us guys went to the market to grab a bunch of stuff for the apartment were staying in.

As we're gathering up stuff, I wander down the frozen section, low and behold, is an entire aisle filled with frozen pizza. Cheese or Marinara were the most common but, there was one brand that labeled their's Big Americans (Pizza American Style). This thing had salami, prosciutto (prosciutto is in everything BTW), pepperoni (this was American pepperoni, what's called the same in Italy is very different, its an oddity for them), mushrooms, tomato, corn, bell peppers and mozzarella. We didn't buy it but, realized whenever anything had the 'kitchen-sink', it was called American Style.

Posts: 14672 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Wife and I, once in a while, heat up a Safeway brand frozen pie. The thin crust is barely palatable, but the "rising crust" is not terrible. Best of all, when bought on sale, they can be as cheap as $2.50 ea. Part of the reason why is that the delivery place we have been using for over 25 years recently changed ownership, and their quality went from excellent to worse than the frozen stuff (all their other food items suffered the same fate as well). That combined with more than half our usual Chinese delivery places going out of business over the last year has really put us behind the power curve.

Posts: 6501 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
I also haven't had boxed pizza in ages, but I'll just throw in with the Papa Murphy's. I used to eat that with some regularity when I lived in Greensboro. Fairly good. Not as good as my own, but better than in a box.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gocatgo:
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
Home Run Inn. Nothing better.

Yes!!! Home Run Inn uncured pepperoni - mmmmm!

Yep if I do frozen it is a Home Run.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
I always see the Papa Murphy's ads stuffed in my mail box, I should take advantage. Now I need to figure out what variety, good grief there's a lot...

Our favorites are the Murphy's Combo and the Classic Italian. You can also add or subtract
ingredients. There is a lot of flexibility. Once home I usually add red pepper flakes and extra cheese.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
If you want frozen, either DiGiorno or Tombstone. DiGiorno is the better of the two, but younger kids in particular probably won't notice the difference and Tombstone is (IIRC) less expensive. Personally I find the DiGiorno Rising Crust to be a lot more crust than pizza by the time it's cooked, so I prefer the regular crust. Others disagree though, so maybe try both and see which you prefer.

If you have the time to go pick it up, Papa Murphy's is a tier or two up from either of those, and of course fresher. You can call them up and it'll be ready when you get there, or I think you can order online now too.

Posts: 7272 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:
all all crazy,

Don't get no better than a plain ol' Tostinos.

I'm in this group.

I distinctly separate frozen foods from fresh. The harder a frozen food tries to mimic fresh the less impressed I am.

Frozen is frozen, and the frozen foods I prefer are the ones not trying to be something they aren't. In the case of pizza, the least expensive plain jane options are my preference.

Yep. If I’m going to throw a frozen pizza in, it’s a Tostitos. To not is about like arguing if Top Roman or Manchurian makes the superior noodle.......

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37118 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
First thing ya gotta understand about frozen pizza is that it's not intended to be eaten frozen.

Go ahead, laugh. I may be slow, but at least I'm honest.

Posts: 107685 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Either of these are no worse than any of the others. There really are no "good" ones imo. Frown

Posts: 4011 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
I've been boycotting Red Barron since they quit sponsoring their aerobatic team. Don't buy them.

Damn, I didn't know they did boycotted their aerobatic team. On that note twenty plus years ago I was skydiving at a drop zone just west of Tucson(Avra valley airport).

One fine spring day two older gents entered our business and they were wearing old style flying goggles and they said they needed a skydiver to borrow. I asked what for and they advised they were pilots of in the Red Barron squadron and they were practicing for their summer show routine. They said they do a regular thing with the Golden knights where one of the knights sits in the back and they do a roll and the skydiver falls out. Then the circle the jumper all the way down to landing.

I told them I was available and away we went in their biplanes. They did a little roll in formation and at the top of the roll and actually tossed me out. I fell clear and opened my parachute and they spiraled down next to me. It was fantastic!

I can't believe they aren't sponsoring that team anymore. They were an awesome group of people. I have been eating that pizza since just because of that experience. Other than the golden knights they told us we were the only jumpers they ever used for this purpose.

Oh well no more Red Baron Pizza.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
Either of these are no worse than any of the others. There really are no "good" ones imo. Frown

Ohh, what do you know about pizza anyway, eh?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30420 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:

Ohh, what do you know about pizza anyway, eh?
Big Grin

Posts: 4011 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Screaming Sicilian is very good. Newmans white pizza is very good. The everything pizza is good too. Cooking them on convection (if your oven has that setting) helps with the crust.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With a very busy family schedule frozen pizza ‘works’ for us on occasion, and on those occasions we have DiGiorno’s Rising Crust.

We find that the variety with veggies has a little too much moisture after baking which lends to a slightly too moist crust.

Posts: 3491 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:
all all crazy,

Don't get no better than a plain ol' Tostinos.

I'm in this group.

I distinctly separate frozen foods from fresh. The harder a frozen food tries to mimic fresh the less impressed I am.

Frozen is frozen, and the frozen foods I prefer are the ones not trying to be something they aren't. In the case of pizza, the least expensive plain jane options are my preference.

Yep. If I’m going to throw a frozen pizza in, it’s a Tostitos. To not is about like arguing if Top Roman or Manchurian makes the superior noodle.......

It's Totino's : https://www.totinos.com/products/ Smile

These are my favorite for cheap frozen pizza. I always add extra cheese and toppings though.

Mike

You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 4935 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
First thing ya gotta understand about frozen pizza is that it's not intended to be eaten frozen.

Go ahead, laugh. I may be slow, but at least I'm honest.

I tested this theory in college at 2AM. He's right.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20836 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigpond73:

It's Totino's : https://www.totinos.com/products/ Smile

These are my favorite for cheap frozen pizza. I always add extra cheese and toppings though.

It's Tostinos
It's Tony Chacharays
It's Worchester Sauce

These are things everyone knows.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6337 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Any of the fresh "take and bake" pizzas I've ever had have blown any frozen pizza out of the water. Even the cheap ones from Wal-Mart or Aldi. But Papa Murphys is definitely the best.

I don't even consider frozen pizza any more.

And making your own pizza isn't hard. Just a little time-consuming while waiting for the dough to rise. But you can get around even that by buying the premade flatbread pizza crusts from Aldi. Just whip up some pizza sauce (recipe below), toss on cheese and toppings, and bake until crust is golden brown and toppings are hot and melty.

Here's my quick and easy pizza sauce recipe... Takes just a couple minutes:

1. Mix 6 oz tomato paste and 15 oz tomato sauce until combined and not lumpy.

2. Add in 2 TBS oregano, 2 TBS Italian seasoning, ½ tsp garlic powder, ½ tsp onion powder, ½ TBS garlic salt, ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper, and a dash of red pepper flakes (or more if you want it spicier).

3. Stir until combined, and spread on crust.

Posts: 32538 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post