SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Another V-Tail Gone - N9306Y
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another V-Tail Gone - N9306Y Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted
This happened in NW Houston not far from my boss' house.

https://www.khou.com/article/n...38-983a-18fc2e80b646

quote:

No injuries were reported after a small plane crashed on a northwest Harris County toll road on Sunday, according to Texas Department of Public Safety officials.

The crash happened around 11:15 a.m. when the pilot of a single-engine plane reported a loss of power.

The plane was approaching the Grand Parkway near Cypress Rosehill Road when the pilot decided to land on the roadway, DPS public information officer Richard Standifer said.

"I'm just passing the Tomball stadium now. I'm going to try to bring it in over the road and land with traffic," the pilot said in the recorded Live ATC communication

As the pilot attempted the emergency landing, the plane crashed into the top of an 18-wheeler, Standifer said.

"Not good. They're on big fire. Big time. Emergency services now as fast as you can," one dispatcher can be heard saying on the air traffic control communication.

Neither the driver of the big rig nor the pilot of the plane was injured, officials said.

Once the plane got to the ground, it caught fire. Officials said the wings of the aircraft were a little wider than the roadway and the fire started when the wings rubbed against the concrete barriers. There was a fuel leak, but Standifer said the Rosehill Tomball Fire Department got to the scene and was able to stop it.

Standifer said the pilot was flying a survey assignment and was coming from West Houston Airport. The Bonanza 35 aircraft is registered in Michigan.

DPS officials waited for National Transportation Safety Board and Federal Aviation Administration officials to get to the scene.

ATC Audio

Drive-by post-crash

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15147 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
OOOPS!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30541 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Obligatory "that's not gonna buff out!"

Question for our Pilots: Looks like an open field behind the road, provided he could make it wouldn't the field have been a better choice than a divided concrete barrier vehicle filled highway?

Posts: 23235 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Might be a big wide open looking road, but it seems like pretty tough landing conditions. Quite a bit of traffic, it's fast moving traffic (i.e. you're getting passed if you're not going 85 mph), winds are gusty, and lots of bridges.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Question for our Pilots: Looks like an open field behind the road, provided he could make it wouldn't the field have been a better choice than a divided concrete barrier vehicle filled highway?
I'm not a pilot, but I'm local so a factor the pilot likely considered is that it rained Friday and Saturday and the crash occurred Sunday.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Yeah, those 'fields' aren't all that smooth, and prone to retaining water. Given the choice, I'd have put it on the road too.

Plane is registered in Michigan, not sure if the pilot is local.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15147 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tinyman
posted Hide Post
From a 50+ year aircraft mechanic, rest assured, that will not buff out.

Stupid people are like glo-sticks.
I want to shake the shit out of them
till the light comes on

Posts: 315 | Location: Leeds, Alabama | Registered: August 28, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I never did it for real but I instructed in primary and intermediate Navy flight training. We flew a very similar, albeit turbine powered, T34C. We practiced with students engine failures from all kinds of positions. Sometimes to paved fields, sometimes to farmers fields.

We always were told, presumably from actual experience, that going into a farmers field was not too big of a deal. You would go in wheels up of course. Unless you hit wires you didn’t see or stalled it, you almost always would walk away and the plane would get picked up, put on a flatbed, and would fly again.

I think everyone has played too many video games. Open stretch of road with no vehicles would be a great option. Highway with traffic or a farmers field? Go for the field.

Just one aviators opinion. Nobody died so this one was a win-ish.

Posts: 7342 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Given who it's registered to it likely came out of one of several small airports in that area. I'll guess it's registered to a flying club with multiple members.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37928 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
If I saw an airplane trying to land on the road I happened to be traveling down, I’m fairly sure I wouldn’t try to pass it.

Posts: 10816 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Grand Parkway near Cypress Rosehill Road

Link to Map

The article has a link to the map of the area, there seems to be a lot of open land, then again that doesn't show power lines, tree lines, anything else that might be a problem.

Imagine he thought the road was going to be wide enough, seems you'd want as much space as possible and as little traffic as possible, those roads look like runways but they are rarely as wide.

Posts: 23235 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Obligatory "that's not gonna buff out!"

As said, it has been rainy, so that could have been pretty soft. Also, there are lots of power lines around there, so those could have been problems. And finally, those fields are often surrounded by 60 to 80 foot pines, which may make them functionally not as big as they look. I don't know how much distance it takes to land a Bonanza, but . . .

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Okay, technically the V-tail portion survived. Soooooo. Razz

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29604 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tinyman:
From a 50+ year aircraft mechanic, rest assured, that will not buff out.

25 year A&P/IA here...

I concur.

It'll be for sale for $100K next week...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13939 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
Okay, technically the V-tail portion survived. Soooooo. Razz

Worth their weight in gold if not corroded.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13939 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s always sad to hear about the loss of an airplane. Especially the ones that are getting harder to replace or those that are truly irreplaceable.

It is such a blessing to hear when the irreplaceable people involved made it home without injury.

Hey, V-Tail - Wouldn’t that empennage look cool hanging above your bar?

Posts: 282 | Location: Central PA | Registered: November 11, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well I can tell you it doesn’t take much in field length to put one down wheels up. Lol

Wet or not, if you land in a field you go in wheels up unless you are absolutely positive it’s firm enough and flat enough to roll on. Which you never would know so farmers field is a wheels up proposition. It’s an odds thing. If you think it’s firm and the wheels dig in you will flip and you will die. Wheels up will be more damage to plane but you will most likely walk away.

Posts: 7342 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In flight training I was taught to land in open areas, such as fields over roads. Power lines and injuring others, less risk to land in a open field.

Posts: 437 | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
This happened a few years ago at our local airport. The guy made a nice landing, but while taxiing to the ramp, he raised his gear instead of his flaps. Spendy little mistake. I don’t know what happened to the aircaft, if it got repaired or sold for parts.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
Interesting the tip tanks burned but not the mains in the wing. On my V-tail it's possible to run the mains dry, yet still have 20 gallons per side in the tips. If one did so, the motor would quit. Some Bonanzas have fairly complicated fuel selector valves.

The guys made it out, so not too bad a landing. As yes, the magnesium ruddervators are worth about $15K each if not corroded.

Posts: 1472 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post